mtenis.pun.pl - forum fanów tenisa ATP

Ogłoszenie

Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#21 24-06-2010 10:08:20

Serenity

User

Re: Gael Monfils

Wimbledon 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 2 rundzie

Q. Do you still feel you need to be convinced that you can be successful on grass? I've heard it said you need to believe you can be successful on grass.

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, that's why I'm really looking forward the next match because Lleyton is a really good grass player, and he won here. He won also last week.

Can be a great help for me if I get through. So, I mean, I still need a big match like I will have for next round to believe maybe I can play good on grass court.

Q. Do you enter into that match feeling grateful it will be such a big match with a lot of focus and pressure on you?

GAËL MONFILS: Not really pressure. I mean, will be more I will enjoy more and really test myself against a type of player like Lleyton. I always complain a bit about my movement on grass because I feel a bit light on grass court.

For me, I think it's one of my best skills, is the movement. So that's why I find it hard to play on grass. But if I can get through a tough player like Lleyton, I will have more belief and for sure I will start tell myself I can play on grass.

Q. Your movement belongs to you. It is what you are. How can you adapt your movement to a different surface?

GAËL MONFILS: To be honest, I think I'm slower like a lot on grass because my first step is not heavy; it is a bit light. I need to lay down more on my legs. And then to break, I need a couple more small step. I can't slide at all. For me is like really difficult. For me I just start to learn how to run. So it's tough for me.

Q. How much harder will it be to beat Lleyton on this surface?

GAËL MONFILS: It will be really hard. But, you know, like I try also to believe I have a good serve, and I serve not bad. I mean, it's been two matches I served not bad. Then I try to play really aggressive. So I know I need to be really aggressive.

I mean, more I will have some rallies I think more it will be hard for me to stay on my feet and compete against Lleyton will be tough.

So still I believe I can serve big and hit big, maybe cut point like really quick. I think I can made it.

Q. Your coach used to be Lleyton's coach. Is there anything he can tell you that you don't already know?

GAËL MONFILS: Actually I played Lleyton last year in Shanghai, so he will always help me for sure and he knows Lleyton really good. But, yeah, I mean, every time is different. And it's more in the head, I think. He will more help me in the head to be tough.

But tactically I know how to play him. I think he won't change tomorrow. Lleyton will never serve and volley or stay like six meter far behind the baseline. I know what I will get. It will be more helpful in my head.

Q. You're a former junior champion here. Roger was the last former junior champion to go on to win the main event here. Do you have any thoughts on why nobody has managed to do that since? How difficult is it to make the transition from a junior winner to go on and win the main event?

GAËL MONFILS: It's pretty easy to respond, because Roger won six time I think here. Every time is tough. I mean, especially, like French guy, I think also for Murray still, we are a generation, we have two big guys, like Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. To win a slam, it's really hard.
It's not that easy I think for young people coming behind.

Q. Do you retain hope that you might do it one day?

GAËL MONFILS: I hope so. I hope so. That's why I work hard and I believe. And then we can see also sometime like Del Potro won the US Open, play like unbelievable two weeks tennis, and he made it. I mean, I think also about Novak. Still Jo had the opportunity, made the final playing Novak. I think I can do it, yeah.

Q. How did it feel watching France go out of the World Cup?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, I mean, I feel sad. It was hard. We had a lot of hope on our team. Then we didn't pass the quallies. Also we had a bit messy story, I will say, during the World Cup. So it was hard.

But now we need to turn back and focus about the Euro. For sure we have our next chance in four years. So actually I wish luck to England.

Q. Will you continue to enjoy the football?

GAËL MONFILS: Yes.

Q. Who do you think will win it?

GAËL MONFILS: It's tough. It's tough. I don't have a favorite. But for sure I have like the major, like Brazil, Argentina. I put England in. And Germany, yeah. And Netherlands.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/d … /r2s1.html

#22 15-07-2010 10:30:01

Serenity

User

"I'm more of an artist"

The cycle is starting again. Gael Monfils has pulled out of another tournament with an injury. He'd flown to Miami with hopes his left hand would feel strong enough to play the Sony Ericsson Open. But the pain is too great to ignore. So at 10:30 on a late-March morning, while word of his withdrawal makes the rounds of players and fans, and while his agent schedules an MRI and a flight to Paris, Monfils is sitting in a café on the 25th floor of the Conrad hotel, narrating the evolution of his game while watching YouTube clips of himself in action.

A laptop perched on his knees, Monfils (MON-feece) smiles after clicking "360 Degree Rotation Smash." Dressed in a white windbreaker, shorts and T-shirt, he says, "This is my favorite." In the clip, he launches high into the air, spins and unloads on a lob with a crushing overhead. "One time I need to show it in a match. For me, it's fun."

This season, the Tour has been anything but fun for the 23-year-old French star-in-waiting. After ascending to No. 9 in the world last spring, he's fallen to No. 17, his recent string of frustrating finishes punctuated by a second-round loss at the French to No. 92 Fabio Fognini, then a third-round, straight-sets Wimbledon meltdown against No. 26 Lleyton Hewitt (Monfils double-faulted on match point). In January, he was bumped in the third round of the Aussie by No. 28 John Isner. Injuries, meanwhile, have forced him out of five events.

Upon learning that Monfils had pulled out of the Sony Ericsson, Roger Federer expressed the feeling of many of the Tour's top players: "I always think it's disappointing when he's injured. Gael is fun to watch but also fun to play against; not just because you win or lose, but because it's exciting."

With increasing frequency, Monfils' performances haven't met the expectations of opponents or fans. Once a rising star whom no player wanted in his half of the draw, Monfils, thanks in part to his approach to the game, has lately played steppingstone for others on the climb.

And that's a shame. Fans and foes love his leave-it-all-on-the-court style of play. But his game also holds him back; his body is simply unable to handle the pounding. Over the past three years, he's suffered injuries to his back, right shoulder, left wrist and, most naggingly, left knee. "His potential is unbelievable," says Rafael Nadal. "But similar to me, when you play very aggressive with that flexibility you have more chances to get injured." Adds Andy Murray: "Gael's athleticism is incredible. He can jump high, hit incredibly hard and do ­pretty much anything. He's very, very talented. But you need to be playing if you want to improve in the rankings."

And so Monfils has arrived at a crucial point in his career: Since 1990, only nine men have won their first Grand Slam on the dark side of their 24th birthday. Unless he turns his game soon, Monfils could end up as another Tour journeyman who spent his career chasing potential.

Perou"I love tennis, but the main thing in my life, is life," says Monfils.

Not that the journey won't be interesting. Monfils is so magnetic that even listening to him describe his greatest hits is entertaining. And in six years as a pro, Monfils has developed a devoted, multiculti base of fans drawn to his lively personality and knack for brilliant shots. At the 2008 French Open, where he reached the semifinals ­before falling to Federer, Monfils rocked the Roland Garros crowd with Soulja Boy's "Superman" dance after wins. Sporting an auburn Afro and the nickname Sliderman, Monfils can steal a better-known opponent's crowd advantage with spellbinding moves toward seemingly impossible returns, the kind that pull soulful ooohs of appreciation from the stands. He worked his magic against Nadal at last year's U.S. Open with several miraculous gets in a 30-stroke rally, which he won with a sliding, whip forehand down the line. The effect: Think Jimi Hendrix playing guitar with his teeth. "Monfils is a special player, a different player, a spectacular player," says Nadal. "He is very good for tennis."

But spectacular comes with a physical cost. Monfils' lean, muscular, 6'4'' physique is built for power and agility, not sliding. "He is like a race car," says one French journalist. "Strong, but fragile." His coach of two years, Roger Rasheed, has pushed Monfils to fortify his build. "He's a bit loose in his joints," Rasheed says. "There's a hardening of the muscles and frame that he's doing now, legitimate gym work that a boxer would do. He needs a hard body to give a base and more control."

Most tennis players slide on clay courts, to stop, set up for a return or change direction. But Monfils has mastered the technique on hard courts. The screech of his shoes when he slides on concrete can sound like fingernails on a chalkboard, but he swears the move is painless. Either way, a Monfils slide is a marvel of mechanics, not unlike the windup of 5'11'', 170-pound Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum, which produces 101 mph rockets. "Monfils has very good flexibility and timing," says Rafael Bahamonde, a professor of human performance and biomechanics at Indiana University. "Not creating much friction allows him to slide on hard courts. But getting into that position and back out very quickly can put tremendous stress on the ankle, knee and hip joints. Is it worth the gamble when the odds of getting a point from that position are pretty slim?" It's the kind of question all sorts of elite athletes face. Consider Cowboys running back Marion ­Barber. He's a power runner whose instinct for plowing into defenders helps explain why he's not in the 1,000-yard club. "We're always talking about being smart and choosing when to step out of bounds to avoid taking unnecessary punishment," says Dallas running backs coach Skip Peete.

Despite the strain that sliding puts on Monfils' body, he has no intention of giving up his signature move. "People say, 'You slide too much,'" Monfils says, affecting an offended air. "I try to change a bit, just to see the difference, and it's very bad. The faster and easier thing is to slide. To me, it's a gift, it's natural. It may be different, but I'm me. I'm more of an artist. I create because I don't want to lose, and the ball is dead only on the second bounce."

And this is what makes Monfils one of the most extraordinary -- and maddening -- players in tennis. He's mercurial to a fault, willing to pound his body in victory or defeat. One senses in both his play and attitude that he's embracing something he should be fighting, and fighting something he needs to embrace.

This rebelliousness, for lack of a better word, may stem from his formative years as a player. A native Parisian, Monfils was introduced to tennis at age 2 by his parents, who played on weekends. His dad, Rufin, is from Guadeloupe; mother Sylvette hails from Martinique. Father coached son until Gael, at 13, earned a scholarship to a Russian tennis center. He returned to Paris a year later and joined the French Tennis Federation, where he trained and competed with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Richard Gasquet and Gilles Simon -- together they were dubbed the "New Musketeers" by the French media. With legendary French showman Yannick Noah as a lodestar, Monfils resisted efforts to change his game, and his success as a junior (Australian, French and Wimbledon titles; a No. 1 ranking) encouraged him to rely on instinct at the expense of technique and fundamentals. After he turned pro in 2004, however, he struggled, no longer able to win with power and flashy shots. Although he often had more physical talent than an opponent, he lost matches because opponents out-thought him. Heading into the 2008 French, Monfils was ranked No. 32 and had never advanced past the Round of 16 at a Slam. But after his impressive run to the semis at Roland Garros, he decided to adjust his game. He sought Rasheed's help in July 2008.

PerouMonfils has the potential to turn tennis on its head, if ony his head didn't get in the way.

"I saw a player with legitimate weapons and a lot of raw talent who hadn't blossomed yet," Rasheed says. "I drew a line in the sand and said, If you want to be ranked 40 or 50, you can be creative and artistic. But if you want success at the Grand Slam level, there's a price." Monfils signed on. "Having someone to drive me was good for me," he says. Rasheed, who has the demeanor of a friendly drill sergeant, set out to lock Monfils into a more structured game plan. "I said, 'Look, you've got 4,000 tricks and I'm taking away 3,000,'" he says. "Have your flair, but if you're too loose, your game will break down. Your first goal is a W. People remember players who win, not how many times the crowd goes, 'Wow.'"

The improvement was almost immediate. "All of a sudden, people were actually concerned because Gael Monfils was a bit more switched on," Rasheed says, noting that Monfils jumped to No. 14 by November 2008. "That created locker room presence and on-court presence. He became a threat. Before, it was like, Well, I wonder what we're going to get today."

Although Rasheed does not favor sliding on hard courts, he concedes that selective use of the move allows Monfils to return shots he otherwise might not reach. Coach and player have reached a compromise. "Gael now does that about a fifth as much as he used to," says Rasheed. "When you play all defensive tennis, that's when you're sliding." Rasheed has also pushed Monfils to be more aggressive, to dictate points with his big forehand and volley from inside the baseline. "He's too ­patient in the points," says Novak Djokovic, who beat Monfils in the Paris final last November. "He needs to go more for his shots. That's where the players take control over him."

The other area where Monfils often cedes control? Upstairs. It's no secret that Monfils flusters easily, causing his game to unravel. "The mental is the key," says Rasheed. "That's the thing he's gonna try and keep under control. He's very youthful with his development as a top tennis player." Monfils knows that tempering his emotions may yield more than harnessing his physical skills. "I need to take more confidence in my weapons, and the difference is that the top guys have a little bit extra," he says. "Sometimes I can be a little bit down. I need to believe a little bit more, and then I will be a top player."

Away from tennis, Monfils seeks out hip-hop mixtapes from deejay friends and knows the best sushi spots at every Tour stop -- downing 30 pieces (California or salmon) per sitting. His reddish-brown 'fro, upon closer inspection, is actually a mix of tightly coiled curls that he twirls ­absentmindedly while talking. He lives in Nyon, Switzerland, with his Australian girlfriend, Chelsea, and says he's happy to come home from practice, cook and discuss everything but his job. "I love tennis, but the main thing in my life, is life," he says.

That attitude has helped deflect some of the pressure put upon him by his country's rabid thirst for somebody, anybody, to be the first French Grand Slam champ since Noah won Roland Garros in 1983. To do so, he'll have to become more ruthless about his goals, take responsibility, show conviction. He knows players such as Murray and Nadal are ticking every box, doing everything they can to improve their games. "Gael is learning to put that more into his world," says Rasheed. "He doesn't want his peers to say, 'Gael, he was super talented, but ...' He wants to remove the buts."

Does he have the necessary self-discipline? "I think I can change," Monfils says, sitting a little straighter in his seat at the Conrad. "I can get to high-level maturity. But I want to do what I want to do, and I want to be the No. 1. It's my dream to win a Slam. I'm very glad for advice and I will listen carefully. But I take advice from people, and I mix it up. I turn it in my way."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis … id=5376000

#23 20-07-2010 17:59:51

Art

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Monfils will have to watch twisted ankle

Gael Monfils will have to watch his step in the coming weeks after an ankle injury in the first set contributed to his loss in the final of the Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart.

The hyper-athletic Frenchman turned his ankle in the final game as he lost the opener against Spain's Albert Montanes, who went onto book the 6-2, 1-2 victory, picking up a cheque as well as a new Mercedes.

Monfils will carry on this week in Hamburg on clay, receiving a bye which means a mid-week start and more time to heal. "My ankle just got worse and worse," said the No. 17. I thought I could come back. But I wasn't 100 percent."

"Albert would have figured out he needed to just move me around for the win," said the player competing in his first final of the season.

Monfils was still pleased with his week's effort. "I played pretty good tennis, a lot of confidence came back. To reach a final again was pretty exciting. I had a bad experience but hopefully it will be better soon and I can get back to my best level and try to reach some other finals.”

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20100 … sted_ankle

#24 30-08-2010 21:12:45

Serenity

User

Gaël Monfils: Dzięki charakterowi mogę wykorzystywać talent

Preferując tak spektakularny jak Gaël Monfils styl gry w tenisa, trudno uniknąć kontuzji. Francuz ma ich za sobą mnóstwo, ale niczego zmieniać nie zamierza. - Sport to hazard. Jeżeli nie wkładasz w to co robisz całej swojej duszy, kończysz marnie - mówi.
- To Bóg sprawił, że jestem jaki jestem i zaakceptowałem to - tłumaczy znany ze skoków, rzutów i upadków Monfils w rozmowie z "L'Équipe". - Myślę wręcz, że moje życie poza kortem to także część talentu. Moja osobowość: to dzięki niej talent się wykorzystuje lub nie.

W Nowym Jorku Monfils celuje w swój najlepszy tegoroczny rezultat w Wielkim Szlemie, w którym nie potrafi jak na razie przeskoczyć 1/16 finału. Wspólnie z Rogerem Federerem "gościli" na korcie Thierry'ego Henry, nowego napastnika Red Bulls. W I rundzie US Open Monfils zagra z kwalifikantem Robertem Kendrickiem, a w III rundzie może spotkać się z Andym Roddickiem.

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis/2010/ … ac-talent/

#25 31-08-2010 01:03:08

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It was a real fight out there today. Is that always tough to start a two week tournament with a five setter like that, or is it maybe okay to get out there and know you can win a five set match?
GAËL MONFILS: I know I can win five set match. I think I'm tough to play in five sets. But today was not a good day for me. I mean, it was like I was fighting against myself, so tried to be like more aggressive, tried to play my game. I think today I was pretty flat. But I'm happy, you know, I come through, and I just give myself second chance to practice hard tomorrow and to be better on Wednesday. I'm quite happy for that.

Q. How was it fighting against yourself? Was it more mental?
GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, mentally. I think physically I'm good. But when the mind is not working that good, as you can see. I was like slow on the court and bad judgment sometime and also tried to change a bit my game. Wasn't the real Gaël Monfils on the court. You know, I fight, compete, and I come through, so it was -- I mean, I made my job pretty simple. Not good but, pretty simple.

Q. You've had good results here. Do you generally feel comfortable playing here?
GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, I mean, definitely. Just today wasn't a good day. I had a good week. I practiced, feel the ball good, physically I was good. Yesterday was a bit off, but still, like I told you, I did the job: Win. That's it.

Q. Is there a big difference in the final set, the big points in the final set versus the big points in the second, fourth set? Obviously you won, but in terms of your approach or anything you were doing that allowed you to make a difference there?
GAËL MONFILS: Ah, for sure you're a bit more careful how you choose, because the end -- I mean, the final set if you choose, I don't know, to serve and volley at 4 All in the fifth, different to choose to early in the second set. I mean, I try to be like a bit more aggressive, tried to push him a bit more, and in the end he was same tired like we are tired, so tried to move in. Tried to put some long rallies, also.

Q. Coming off a first round, in Cincinnati, you were knocked out of the first round, do you feel that you sometimes get off to a slow start in tournaments? Explain what happened in Cincinnati.
GAËL MONFILS: Cincinnati wasn't my day, you know. I had like bad day, and then mentally wasn't on the court. My mind was somewhere else, so was a bad day. Happen sometimes. I forget this part.

Q. Are you in good form? Do you feel you are in good form?
GAËL MONFILS: No, not really, but I think every day is a new day, so let's see what Gaël it will give me on Wednesday.

Q. Do you enjoy the atmosphere? The fans are chanting, USA.
GAËL MONFILS: Oh, yeah. I love USA, so for me doesn't matter. I can share with them because I love the USA. For me it was more distraction, was more to relax and enjoy a bit, maybe to think about something else. So for me, it was great.

Q. How do you stay calm? You get into a fifth set and it's getting late in the fifth set, is there anything you do to keep yourself calm and focused?
GAËL MONFILS: I know in fifth set is different, but I'm strong I think in the fifth set. I think I lost two one year against Djokovic the first year -- and I think I could have win this one -- and one in French Open, terrible. But I think in the fifth set I'm very strong and competitive, so I always love play fifth set. So for me was good, actually.

Q. You did a couple of dropshots. What was your strategy in the game today?
GAËL MONFILS: I mean, just tried to mix up a bit. I saw he was a bit like slow to coming forward, so I tried to use this one. Actually, the courts are very bouncy, so I get lucky today with the dropshot. But sometimes against those players is good to play a bit to bring in forehand, because he think you will play deep and fast, and so you mix up a bit.

Q. There was a lot of fans, a lot of people in the court. Was that a distraction for you?
GAËL MONFILS: I mean, people for sure help me. I mean, in the end like help me. I think it helped me to be more relaxed and also more like, Okay, it's a game, it's a great game. People enjoy, so enjoy yourself. Try to be more relax. It's been like, I mean, four sets you struggle a bit and you seem a bit flat, so I take this like in a good way. So that's why it helped me a lot.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 73957.html

#26 06-09-2010 22:40:00

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 3 rundzie

Q. What is it about the US Open? You've had great success here; the crowds love you here. Is it something about being in New York, the atmosphere?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, I love the atmosphere. I love the city, also. I mean, actually the States when I was young, and I was like looking for two things: One, the Orange Bowl, and another thing the US Open junior for sure, and I didn't. I fail like twice in final in Orange Bowl. I came here with injury the year when I won the other three. So, I mean, here is like now I'm in seniors, so I really want to win this one, also. I love the surface here; I love the crowd; I love the Ashe Stadium. So I feel very good and comfortable here.

Q. What were the conditions like today on the grandstand in terms of the weather and the wind?

GAËL MONFILS: Awful. I mean, for me, awful. For me to play my game, it was tough to swing my balls; it was tough to adjust. My movement was not that good I think around the ball to make the small steps. So I just try to compete and put the ball in. And actually, I think I was just happy, because physically I was there. But I think tactically and tennistically it was not a great match.

Q. Did you notice any differences between the way he was playing early in the match and later in the match? Because obviously he was a little banged up.

GAËL MONFILS: Um, not really. Not really.

Q. Compared to other Opens, how are you feeling mentally and physically? You know, you're getting into the last final week. You have hopefully a few matches less until it's that final match. What's going through your mind right now?

GAËL MONFILS: I feel great physically. I mean, before the Open I was strong; I work hard like physically, so I feel great even if I have like long match. Basically I feel great. I hope the conditions will be better, and then I have like couple interesting like match to come one against Richard so I will try to play the best tennis I can. I know I can made it through the quarters, so I will try to take my chances on Monday.

Q. Do you think there's a lot of differences between your's and Richard's game?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, a lot. I think Richard is more talented than me in couple ways. Like he can adapt more about the conditions. Then I think I'm stronger than him physically, and maybe a bit mentally, also. Sometime he is like too defensive, like me. So actually it will be a good match, and we will see who's going to put like more pressure on the opponent.

Q. You're known for those incredible slides on the court. What do they feel like...

GAËL MONFILS: When I do it?

Q. Yes.

GAËL MONFILS: I don't know. Simple.

Q. Is it something that just came from your clay court play?

GAËL MONFILS: Exactly. Yes. You know, sometime I won't know -- you know, like if I ask me to do it right now, I think I can't. During the match, I'm on. So, I mean, I don't know yet like how to do it, but maybe I will I will teach my kids. (Smiling.)

Q. Do you think your style of play leads to your injuries? Can you work off court to prevent injuries in the future?

GAËL MONFILS: I think my injuries is more about my body. I think the style I play, I think my knee I grew too fast and my knees have a problem, and then I had like wrist problem, because eventually I fell on grass court. But everyone can fell on grass court. But then I don't think my style play have something with my injury.

Q. Are you thinking about the match against Argentina for Davis Cup? I mean, do you think about that when you're on the court?

GAËL MONFILS: Not at all, because the captain he doesn't -- I mean, obviously we don't know who's on the team, so maybe I'm not on the team. So I don't think about it.

Q. Do you think France is actually the favorite to win that match?

GAËL MONFILS: I don't know, because we don't know who's on the team for you guys. We know exactly who's gonna be on the team. But us, we don't know is on the team. Can be everyone. So we wait and see after the Open who Guy will choose, and then we will have an idea.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 39111.html

#27 07-09-2010 13:58:35

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

US Open, postać 8. dnia: Gaël Monfils

Niezwykle efektowny i wyjątkowo skuteczny Gaël Monfils (ATP 19) to postać ósmego dnia US Open. Francuz w bratobójczym pojedynku pokonał Richarda Gasquet (ATP 38) zapewniając sobie miejsce w ćwierćfinale. Był to pierwszy w erze otwartej francuski pojedynek w 1/8 finału US Open.
Gaël chce tworzyć zapierające dech w piersiach widowiska, dawać radość kibicom na korcie i przed telewizorami, dlatego nie zmieni swojego stylu gry, choć co jakiś czas odzywają się u niego problemy ze stawami kolanowymi. Można było drżeć o jego zdrowie, gdy raz za razem ślizgał się po betonie na Flushing Meadows. Biegający jak szalony do każdej piłki Francuz za pomocą jednego forhendu potrafi przejść z głębokiej defensywy do ataku
. Znany też jest z pozytywnego nastawienia, nawet gdy sytuacja na korcie jest dla niego bardzo niekorzystna oraz ze spontanicznego celebrowania radości po zdobytych punktach. Potrafi tańczyć na korcie bawiąc się z kibicami, przez co jest jednym z ich ulubieńców na całym świecie. Ale z tego też wynika jego największa wada, częste utraty koncentracji. Także i w meczu z Gasquet mu się to przytrafiło, ale nie pozwolił sobie odebrać seta, choć w partii III przegrywał 2:5.

Monfils wykańcza fizycznie

- To ja jestem gościem, to ja jestem liderem - chciał udowodnić swojemu przyjacielowi Gasquet. - Chciałem poddać go testowi
fizycznemu. Miał wiedzieć, że jeżeli podejdzie bliżej, to ja zawsze będę gotowy - powiedział drugi singlista Francji, który wcale nie czuje się liderem swoich rodaków w Nowym Jorku.

Monfilsowi nie przeszkadza nawierzchnia DecoTurf, po której próbuje ślizgać się jak na mączce. - Mogę grać
wszędzie - przyznał półfinalista Roland Garros 2008. Wygrał bez straty seta, ale obronił w sumie trzy setbole. Drugi set, szansa dla Gasquet: - Widziałem, że nie ma już tej głowy. Po obronie tej piłki wiedziałem, że jak go przycisnę, to będzie przełamanie i miałem rację. Chciałem złamać go fizycznie, a dodatkowo mentalnie - powiedział Monfils.

Chce być bardziej ofensywny: - To następny krok, następny poziom, na który chcę wejść. Muszę użyć swoich umiejętności
do tego, by bardziej atakować. Choć oczywiście z moją fizycznością preferuję poruszanie się po linii końcowej. O ćwierćfinale z Đokoviciem (bilans 0-4): - Znam Novaka perfekcyjnie. Pokonał mnie dwa razy na mojej ziemi, więc czas na mnie.

Monfils w juniorskiej karierze w 2003 roku zaliczył finał prestiżowego turnieju Orange Bowl (w finale przegrał z Marcosem Baghdatisem), a w kolejnym sezonie wygrał trzy z czterech wielkoszlemowych turniejów: Australian Open, Roland Garros i Wimbledon. Jeszcze w 2004 roku w Metz debiutował w turnieju rangi ATP i doszedł tam do ćwierćfinału przegrywając z Gasquet. Rok później w Sopocie zdobył swój pierwszy tytuł w ATP World Tour i znalazł się w czołowej 50 rankingu
ATP. Choć przez pierwsze dwa miesiące sezonu 2008 pauzował z powodu kontuzji kolana w Roland Garros doszedł do półfinału notując najlepszy start w Wielkim Szlemie. W 2009 roku wygrał 42 mecze (to jego najlepszy sezonowy rekord), w Roland Garros zaliczył drugi wielkoszlemowy ćwierćfinał, w Metz zdobył drugi tytuł, w Paryżu zanotował pierwszy finał w ATP World Tour Masters 1000 oraz zadebiutował w czołowej 10 rankingu ATP (w lutym). W lipcu 2010 roku osiągnął 10. w karierze finał turnieju ATP.

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis/2010/ … l-monfils/

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#28 09-09-2010 17:59:43

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 4 rundzie

Q. First of all, great three setter today. You played fabulous. Last time you spoke, you had mentioned that you felt Richard was a stronger player than you were, and that you were most likely gonna face difficulty today. I think it was very clear that you took control of the match right off the bat. I wanted to know what kind of mentality did you go into the match with where it just showed where you were just, I'm winning this match, this isn't going past three sets.

GAËL MONFILS: I mean, yeah, I tried to be very tough and very hard with him, showing him that I'm the man and I'm the leader, you know. So I think I try also to get him a bit in the head, to show him like I will be strong and he might hit like good shot, but it's okay. For me it's like nothing. I will try and reach every ball and show him, like I told you, like put him like physical test today. I mean, try to have long rallies, and then if he come in, I will be everywhere. I think I did pretty good today.

Q. Your best Grand Slam successes have been at the French Open, but do you consider yourself a much better clay court player than the other surfaces?

GAËL MONFILS: Not really. I mean, not really. I think I can play everywhere. I mean, this year was a bit tough before the Slam. It's the worst year I think I played in slam. But before I was usually in round of 16 for sure, and then had like pretty tough opponents. Here I had small opportunity, so I think I took it. Now I will see if there will be more opportunities for the next one.

Q. He had some set points in this match. Maybe they could have gone either way. What did you tell yourself when he was that close to winning the set? How did you stay strong and approach those points?

GAËL MONFILS: I mean, I get lucky, I think, in the first set point he had in second set, because he could like pass me like easy. But he show me at that time he was not that good mentally. He show me like he was, I won't say weak, but it was like shaky a bit. Then I knew he missed, and I knew if I closed this game then he will break for sure if I put pressure on him. I was right. And then in the third set he get a bit lucky because I have like mini break points. I didn't made it, and then he broke me. It was the first time he was leading in the third set, so I knew to close it will be hard for him. Because he was in front, but, I mean, it was a bit luck. I save maybe six break point before, so I knew it's going to be hard for him to close it, so just try to play solid.

Q. Just what?

GAËL MONFILS: Try to play solid, put him a bit pressure on his forehand. He actually missed, and then he give me free points, double fault, I think. Then that was it.

Q. Did you have confidence in that third set when you were down a break that maybe you might not have had if you were down a break in the first set just because you had seen him be kind of shaky to that point?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, I was still confident. I won't lie, on that one set point, I had like to hit backhand passing shot. It was tough. But then when you save it, you know, for sure I knew if it was my set point and miss it like this, I knew like I will be thinking or this or that. Just try to be solid, put pressure for him. And also, Richard, he doesn't really like pressure. He love like good play, not play. He don't like a lot of crowd around, the crowd involved. He don't like see the opponent like show emotions. Just play with that, play a bit with his mind, and that was it.

Q. You won in three straight sets. Do you feel like it could have gone either way?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, it could have gone -- I mean, I could have got two sets down, for sure. Two sets down. But like I told you, I mean, my mentality today was to push him like hard in head and hard in physically and try to break him physically and break him in the head. That was my plan.

Q. Could you talk about the rivalry I guess in French men's tennis, and how Tsonga is not here and you're the top Frenchman now?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, Jo, we miss him for sure, because we need him for our country. I think he's a great player. I mean, we have like good guys coming up. I mean, now I'm the leader, but I don't consider myself like the leader. I think we have like Michael Llodra. He as well played very good; he's playing maybe his best tennis now and he is very dangerous. Richard is back I think his level. Then we got like Julien Benneteau played well also this week. So I think I'm in front because I was a bit more solid last year, I think. But I think we are like five, six, very tough and competitive for France. So now I'm the last one, but I get a bit lucky. And also, I not consider myself like the leader.

Q. Tipsarevic said after the last match he feels you're one of the best defensive players in tennis. Are you sort of able to use that speed offensively too and aggressively as you showed at times today? Is that something you're trying to do?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, I mean, for sure this is the next step. This is the next level. I think I have to reach it to use my ability to be more offensive, because for sure will help me. And I can do it, but is tougher and also is really different for me. I have another vision maybe on the court when I'm a bit, let's say, scared. For me it's more easy to run and move on my baseline and step back. To step in sometime is tough. I know I can cover it, but I need to improve on that. But slowly I think I try a couple points, couple games, to move forward. I hope I will arrive very soon.

Q. The New York crowd, because you're such a showman, they really seem to love to watch you. Do you feel that energy and can you use it?

GAËL MONFILS: Yeah, a lot. They helped me for sure in the second set. After I served the set point, I think I ask a bit the crowd to get involved, and they did. Then was great. That's why, you know, I broke him straightaway, because I had like positive energy. I love when it's intense. I love it. It make me feel like I'm stronger again. So for sure when the crowd get involved I play my best tennis.

Q. What is your opinion for the lack of teenagers in the top 100 making a big impact? What is your opinion for the lack of young players, teenagers, making an impact on the men's tour?

GAËL MONFILS: (Through translation.) Ah, that's a good question. I mean, you just tell me. I wouldn't know, but they will arrive. I mean, I not really follow like juniors, so it's tough. But I think Nishikori is still young, I think, no?

Q. He's not a teenager.

GAËL MONFILS: No? Ah. So I don't know. Maybe my brother. (Laughter.) My brother is on the way, 17. Two years.

Q. Playing either Novak or Mardy in the next round, do you have a preference on who you'd rather face?

GAËL MONFILS: Not really, because both will be tough and totally different. I mean, if I play Mardy he will be at home, so the crowd for sure will cheer for him. Not against me, but for him. So it will be like different. And also, his type of game is tough game. He's very aggressive; he try to play like two, three hits, he come in often to the net, so it's kind of game you need to be focused like every point, every second. So it will be a tough match. And Novak is different. I can get the crowd behind me. I know him like perfectly. We had like always tough match. And then, damn I had revenge to take it, because he won against me at home in Bercy. So this time I hope to win.

Q. Of course when the crowd is behind you it helps tremendously. But if the crowd is majority rooting for Fish, do you think that will affect your game at all?

GAËL MONFILS: I can love it also, you know, sometime. But I don't know really how I will react, so it will be a good experience. But I try my best, for sure.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 45186.html

#29 01-11-2010 13:41:52

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

#3) Montpellier 2010

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/17C01324BF6A4507BC97346C0616217A.ashx

R32 Bye
R16 Steve Darcis 64 64
Q John Isner 36 64 64
S Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 76(2) 26 64
W Ivan Ljubicic 62 57 61

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#30 01-11-2010 14:03:08

Art

User

Monfils shows form to win in Montpellier

Gael Monfils showed his best form less than six weeks before the Davis Cup final by beating Croat Ivan Ljubicic 6-2 5-7 6-1 to win the Open Sud de France title.

Frenchman Monfils, the third seed, survived a lapse in concentration in the second set to seal victory in one hour and 52 minutes and claim his third ATP title.

Monfils proved more solid on his serve to dominate the fourth-seeded Ljubicic.

"I'm really happy. These results show I have been working. I had some doubts all year long and I'm relieved I can finally lift a trophy," Monfils told reporters.

The local favourite, gunning for a place in the French team for the Davis Cup final in Belgrade against Serbia, raced through the opening set.

He broke early in the second but Ljubicic hit back and took Monfils's serve in the 11th game to level the match.

"Since I was 3-1 in the second set, I did not serve as well and I paid for it right away. I tried not to panic, to stay in the match and played more simply," Monfils said. Monfils rallied and snatched five games in a row before sealing victory with his 11th ace.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/31102010/58/ … llier.html

#31 05-11-2010 13:28:48

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Lundgren zachwycony Monfilsem!

http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/balles-b … tory.shtml

Trener Wawrinki nie potrafił znaleźć słów, by opisać formę, w jakiej znajduje się obecnie Gael Monfils. Francuz pokonał wczoraj Stanislasa 6-2 6-4 w 2 rundzie zawodów w Walencji.

"To był najlepszy mecz Gaela, jaki widziałem. Gra dużo agresywniej niż do tej pory, skraca wymiany, z dnia na dzień staje się innym tenisistą niż był nim do tej pory" - komplemetnował Francuza były trener Federera i Safina.

Monfils wygrał 6 ostatnich spotkań w ATP Tour.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#32 05-11-2010 13:49:18

jaccol55

Administrator

Taa, pewnie też zmienił uchwyt rakiety.

#33 05-11-2010 14:27:48

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

jaccol55 napisał:

Taa, pewnie też zmienił uchwyt rakiety.

Chyba do serwisu.

#34 02-12-2010 12:15:26

Art

User

Monfils says he's fine after pre-Davis Cup cold

Ad hoc French team leader Gael Monfils has arrived in Belgrade for the Davis Cup final with an innocent explanation about his absence from some practise sessions last week.

Monfils kept all informed of his movements through his Twitter feed, which praised the team hotel and showed off the commemorative polo shirt given to players.

Monfils said he had been cleared to miss training after suffering with a cold, that following a trip to chilly Britain and then to the warm island of Martinique after his ATP season ended. "Everything is fine, like everyone, I have colds," he said, adding: "I have the right to blow my nose without everyone thinking I have a crazy virus."

Monfills will be the point man for the visitors against hyped-up Serbia as the new nation bids for it's first-ever title in the worldwide team competition. Monfils will be carrying the load due to the knee injury absence of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga,

But Monfils was noticeably off court during preliminary training, and underwent a scan for a problem with his foot. Officials later described it as inflammation between two bones of the foot, with Monfils calling it all "nothing serious."

The world No. 12 will play lead singles for France and could also be on call for doubles if necessary, depending on the thoughts of captain Guy Forget, who is also missing Julien Benneteau through a wrist problem.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … s_Cup_cold

#35 21-12-2010 20:30:11

jaccol55

Administrator

The Last Word: ATP No. 12, Gael Monfils

http://www.tennis.com/articles/articlefiles/9323-201012030935345399086-p2@stats_com.jpg
Monfils was a star for the French Davis Cup team
and played some of his best tennis in his home
country, winning Montpellier and reaching the Bercy final.

Best of 2010

The Frenchman played his strongest tennis of the season in front of adoring fans at the Paris Masters. The acrobatic 24-year-old was given a murderous draw to the final, yet he managed to beat Fernando Verdasco, Andy Murray and Roger Federer in succession before losing to Robin Soderling.

Worst of 2010

Monfils contended for titles from the beginning of the season to the end—including the Davis Cup final—though he stumbled a bit in late May and early June. Monfils was upset by Potito Starace in Nice, Fabio Fognini at Roland Garros (remember that match?) and Rainer Schuettler at Queen’s Club. In his next tournament, Wimbledon, Monfils suffered a third-round exit at the hands of Lleyton Hewitt.

Year in Review

Monfils won 46 matches in 2010, though he only had one title to show for it, a 250 in Montpellier. Still, he was repeatedly in contention. He reached three finals, two semifinals and made the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open.

Looking beyond the numbers, Monfils showed more diversity in his game this year. The sculpted Frenchman, who at times can rely too heavily on his admittedly exceptional defensive skills, showed an aggressive side late in the season, at Montpellier, Paris and the Davis Cup final, where he gave France an early 1-0 lead. His serve matured into a more consistent and lethal weapon. Combined with his explosiveness and competitive nature, Monfils showed how dangerous he can be.

See for Yourself

Monfils’ signature win in 2010 was his dramatic defeat of Federer in the Paris semis. The Frenchman saved an astonishing five match points and won a deciding tiebreaker to reach the final:

The Last Word
Monfils has proven that he can beat the best, but he’s yet to win a high-profile tournament—a significant blemish on his record. But that should be the next step, taken next season. Look for Monfils to break through and win a Masters event in 2011, pushing him into the Top 10.

—Brad Kallett

http://www.tennis.com/articles/template … 3&zoneid=9

#36 25-12-2010 19:15:17

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

2010 w liczbach

Ranking: 12
Turnieje: 1 (Montpellier)
Finały: 3 (Stuttgart, Tokio, Paryż-Bercy)
Mecze: 46-20
Zarobki: $1,303,546

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#37 26-12-2010 10:30:54

tsonga34

Zbanowany

Ulubiony zawodnik: Gael Monfils, Tsonga, Federer

Nie był to zły rok dla Francuza może na początku grał słabo ale ogólnie się cieszę z jego postawy.

#38 17-01-2011 21:33:59

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

Q. Can you tell us about the first two sets and how you got back into the game.
GAEL MONFILS: I think I start pretty good the match. Nice hitting. Was great. And then I sort of drop a bit and, I don't know, get a bit tight. Maybe Thiemo went for his shots more.

Then I start to a bit struggling and have like maybe negative like maybe mind. Like maybe I was too far away again. Then start to feel heaviest, like Thiemo's pressure. Then I just try to hold and believe in myself and try to think about simple things, like do like maybe move a bit faster and move my legs more and just fire up a bit.

And then actually it turn a bit and Thiemo get tight and also tired, I think. So then the key was easier to defend.

Q. What did Roger say to you afterwards?

GAEL MONFILS: He was happy. He was happy. He told me it was great because I play good the first set actually, and then, yeah, I have a very bad period. But he was happy because I found the strength to get back on the court. He knows I'm hitting good the ball. I feel great. So he knows how the match, that can sometimes happen.

He was more than happy. He told me, You did a great match. It wasn't the best match, but you're hitting great the ball. You show like something else like mentally, so he was quite happy.

Q. That ability to win from anywhere, is that something you've been working with him on?

GAEL MONFILS: Actually, I won't say I tried working that because it just happens. If I could win three sets, I will be more than happy.

Is more like, yeah, I show myself like sometime when it's very bad, I need to keep believe. For sure like couple years ago I couldn't hear like this. I was like, Okay, I'm done with that three sets. Thiemo was serving great, and it's okay.

I just try to compete; be talking with my team as well help me. And actually one point change something, and then I just take the ball and survive. And then I think I'm good player, so the win turn.

Q. I was in my hotel room, and I saw that de Bakker was serving for the match, and you took it to a fifth set. Honestly, did you think you were going out?

GAEL MONFILS: Like I can't say, you know, I was so sure. But, I mean, in my mind, you know, I have the strength to say, I'm feeling good. I mean, I have like no major problem. I try just to make him struggling a bit and try to make him own the win. And then actually that was the key. I think he get tighter and then start to struggle physically.

Then when you find a little solution, you just dive on it. And then I keep it in my mind. I was just try to play simple, hold it, like move him a bit, he's a bit tight, he knows I can run. So it was just the basic stuff in my mind.

And then when I get back at 5 All, I was like I had a strong belief like, Oh, I could make him play like more and even go to the fifth. In the fifth, we never know. I knew he would tank the fourth one. I knew like in the start of the fifth would be the key. I had to hold him like to show him physically I was more than hundred percent and mentally I was back to get him.

So it seems that was the key.

Q. Is that one of your best wins or maybe one of your most satisfying, given you were so far behind?

GAEL MONFILS: Yeah. Maybe I think it's the first time, yeah, I come back from two set down and even a break. So, yeah, I think it's a great win. So I'm happy with that.

Q. Do you think you can go all the way this tournament?

GAEL MONFILS: I mean, I feel like I have a second round first, and then I think deeper. I have time because, as you know, the first week in a Grand Slam is very hard to pass, and then it's a new tournament.

So I will say I focus about my second match and then I will see.

Q. Were you surprised he tanked the fourth set?

GAEL MONFILS: Maybe I was surprised it turned like earlier in the fourth like that. Because the first two game, he won it, but he was like in the edge. And then I saw he was tanking. Yeah, maybe if I break him early, yeah, he would tank and then be ready in the fifth. I was kind of surprised.

But I know Thiemo a bit. I know sometime he snap in the head. So this is like a strong belief. We know like he can snap. It's a weakness for him. So you play with that.

You know, before the match, my coach, Rog, told me, Sometimes Thiemo is not a big believer. When I saw that, you get it (snapping fingers). So you tank, be ready in the fifth, because I will. Maybe this is play for me today.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 50832.html

#39 13-02-2011 01:12:51

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Dłuższa przerwa Monfilsa

Francuski tenisista, z powodu kontuzji lewego nadgarstka, został wyłączony z gry na okres od 4 do 6 tygodni. Start Gaela w turnieju ATP w Acapulco jest więc wykluczony.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#40 13-02-2011 10:29:11

Serenity

User

Potwierdzenie powyższego:

Monfils could miss a month with wrist injury

Gael Monfils will miss from four to six weeks of play and could be in doubt for next month's Masters 1000 at Indian Wells after reaching the semi-finals in San Jose but withdrawing with a lingering wrist injury.

The French number 12 is also out of his nation's Davis Cup first round next month against Austria, coming three months after France were beaten in the Davis final by Serbia.

Monfils withdrew from the ATP San Jose indoor event after his quarter-final win due to problems with the wrist which he originally hurt at the Australian Open. He had been feeling pain all week.

Monfils lamented his plight on his Twitter feed as well as post-match, "I can’t hit a backhand, I tried but it was very soft. It hurts. It hurts.” The injury will give Monfils' coach Roger Rasheed another month at home in Australia as he works to set up a personal charity to aid in-need children in the country.

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20110213/ … ist_injury

Stopka forum

RSS