Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#41 05-06-2010 12:24:10

Kubecki

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Novak Djokovic

Re: Robin Soderling

DUN I LOVE napisał:

Robertinho napisał:

Zaraz, czy to nie ten pan który zakończył karierę w wieku 26 i to samo doradzał Fedowi po Wimblu 2008?

Tak ten sam. Również ten sam, co przed 1/2 USO 08 wskazał Rokera na Mistrza.

To również ten pan, który sprzedaje teraz majtki sygnowane swoim nazwiskiem

#42 06-06-2010 22:36:51

Sempere

User

Dobrze, że przegrałem do zera

Robin Soderling dobrze wiedział, czego oczekiwać po grze Nadala w finale French Open. Niewiele to jednak pomogło i Szwed, podobnie jak rok temu z Federerem, przegrał do zera. - Może to lepiej, bo trudniej jest przełknąć porażkę w ważnym meczu, w którym byłeś o włos od wygranej - zaskoczył Soderling.

- Rafa zawsze prezentuje się w ten sam sposób. Jego gra w różnych meczach specjalnie się nie różni - zauważył pokonany 6:4, 6:2, 6:4 przez Hiszpana w finale French Open Szwed.

- Jednak to, co potrafi, robi tak dobrze, że jest w stanie nie przegrać meczu na mączce nawet przez cały sezon. To niezłe osiągnięcie.

- Myślę, że każdy wie, czego spodziewać się po Nadalu. Porusza się bardzo szybko i każdą piłkę wraca na twój kort. Jest świetny w defensywie, ale też w jego grze ofensywnej niczego nie brakuje. Potrafi bardzo szybko przejść z obrony do ataku. Właśnie dlatego jest taki dobry - Soderling wychwalał Hiszpana, który na kortach Rolanda Garrosa wygrał już po raz piąty.

Szwed miał dwie szanse na przełamanie rywala już na samym początku meczu. Żadnej z nich nie wykorzystał, za co Nadal pokarał go przełamaniem w piątym gemie.

W dalszej części spotkania Soderling zmarnował kolejną dobrą okazję na odwrócenie losów. W drugim gemie drugiego seta nie wygrał jednak żadnego z czterech break pointów. Potem realnych nadziei na sukces Szweda już nie było.

- Myślę, że na początku miałem trochę pecha - podsumował przegrany finalista z ostatnich dwóch edycji French Open. - Miałem swoje okazje na przełamanie, nie wykorzystałem ich, a potem oczywiście musiało być ciężko.

- Oczywiście nie zagrałem z nim tak dobrze, jak rok temu. Nie miałem tak dobrego serwisu, nie uderzałem piłki tak czysto. Jednocześnie Rafa zagrał skrajnie dobrze. Praktycznie nie popełniał błędów - podkreślił Soderling przypominając przy okazji zeszłoroczny ćwierćfinał z Nadalem, który sensacyjnie zakończył jako zwycięzca.

- Kiedy Rafa gra tak skutecznie, musisz mieć naprawdę dobry dzień, żeby z nim powalczyć. Ja takiego nie miałem - przyznał Szwed.

W równie gładkiej co rok temu przegranej w finale French Open, Soderling dostrzegł jednak pewne zaskakujące pocieszenie.

- Przegrywanie w finale wielkoszlemowego turnieju nie jest niczym przyjemnym. Jednak ani w zeszłym roku, ani w tym nie byłem nawet blisko zwycięstwa. W obu przypadkach przegrałem w trzech setach. Może to lepiej, bo zawsze trudniej jest przełknąć porażkę w ważnym meczu, w którym jest się o włos od wygranej - wyjaśnił Robin Soderling.

http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/roland-ga … tory.shtml

#43 09-06-2010 17:45:22

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Wywiad po przegranym finale RG10

Q. Apart the score, what was the main difference between last year and this year, your opinion?
ROBIN SODERLING: Every match is different. The margins are very small. Of course I didn't play as good this year as I did against him last year. I didn't serve as well. I wasn't hitting the ball as clean.
It was tough today. I didn't really get into the match.

Q. From the beginning, you mean?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it was tough to get into the match. You know, of course he was playing well. He was playing extremely well.
He didn't miss much, but I had to really fight today.

Q. You, yourself, you didn't feel very well?
ROBIN SODERLING: No, it was tough. Of course I can play better. I wish I could have done that, but, you know, he played great. So all credit to him.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about the Berdych match and how much that took out of you going into today's match?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it was a tough match. I think all the matches I played here has been tough in different ways, you know.
It's really difficult to stay focused for two weeks playing many matches. So they're all tough, but physically I feel fine. It was okay. It's not why I lost today.

Q. There was a little incident up with the people. Somebody fell down. Did that disturb your concentration? It was a moment where you were playing, the ball was heavier maybe, but you were starting to play inside.
ROBIN SODERLING: No, no, no.

Q. In any case, do you think there was a moment where the ball was getting, let's say thicker and heavier, and you were inside? Because from outside it seemed that you could change, let's say, at the beginning of the second set.
ROBIN SODERLING: What do you mean, the ball got...

Q. The humid conditions.
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it was humid already from the start. So I mean, conditions were good. Of course, it was a little bit windy, but it wasn't bad at all.
So, you know, it was good for me, and I think for both of us.

Q. You said that it wasn't because of that you lost today. Why did you lose today?
ROBIN SODERLING: Because he played better than me.

Q. Second question: Did you feel that you played differently today than you have been playing the days before?
ROBIN SODERLING: How do you mean, differently?

Q. I don't know. If you have felt that you should play differently today.
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I lost. Of course I should have played in a different way if I wanted to win.

Q. How?
ROBIN SODERLING: You know, I know I played many matches here, and there have been both good and matches where I didn't play so good.
So overall, it's a great week. Of course, today wasn't my best match. But as I said, he played so well today.

Q. Two questions. There's a lot of matches between when you played him here last year and now, but I'm wondering if tactically you felt like he did anything different today than when you played him before. Secondly, just can you talk about the game, the long game in the second set when you had all the break points, and if that really sort of took the steam out of you.
ROBIN SODERLING: No, I think, you know, Rafa always plays kind of the same. He has more or less one game, but he does it so well it's enough to not lose a match on clay for a whole year, which is pretty good.
But as I said, you always know what to expect when you play against him. Yeah, I think in the beginning I was a little bit unlucky; I had a few break chances. I didn't take them, so then of course it was tough.
I don't think it would have changed anything.

Q. Just two questions. First, if now is all good feelings between Rafa and you. Second, if you foresee Rafa long time as No. 1.
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I said, I don't know, like 200 times or even more, I have nothing against Rafa. I think he's a great player.
He definitely has the chance to be No. 1 for a long time if he plays like this. On clay especially he's real difficult to beat.

Q. I think you preferred kind of rainy, humid condition. It was kind of strange weather today. It was raining, rainy morning, but kind of sunny during that match. So could you explain what kind of condition it was? I mean, it was slippy or like the ball was heavy or...
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it was humid, and of course it was a little bit windy. But I think the conditions were really pretty good for tennis today.

Q. Could you go into, a little bit more, the difference between your incredible win last year and the tough result today? What was the difference between the two matches?
ROBIN SODERLING: Okay. (Laughter.)
Okay. You didn't listen to the first question.

Q. I listened, but I wanted you to go into more detail.
ROBIN SODERLING: You know, every match is different, and the margins are really small. Maybe he played a little bit better. I didn't play as good as I did last year. I didn't serve so well. I wasn't hitting the ball as clean.
You know, I had some chances in the beginning, but I didn't take them. And then he won the first and then played really well in the second, so then, you know, that's about...

Q. If I could ask, the problems on converting the breakpoint opportunities you had, why such a big problem today getting conversions?
ROBIN SODERLING: I don't know. He played well. Yeah, I don't know. I have no explanation why I didn't take the break points today.

Q. Obviously you know what to expect from Rafa, but is it any real frustration when winners you would hit against anybody else he goes back and retrieves it, or have you already put that past you, you know you're gonna get that from Rafa and that's the way it is?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. As I said, you know, I think everybody knows what to expect when you play against him. That's why he's so good, because he's moving so well and gets everything back.
He's a great defensive player, but also has a great offensive game, as well. He can really change defense to offense really quick. That's why he's so good.

Q. Could anyone have beaten Rafa today on that form?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. I think the tennis is so tough today, so I think everybody can beat everybody on a good day.
You know, as I said, I think I can beat anybody. But when Rafa is playing like this, you need to have a really good day, which unfortunately I didn't have today.

Q. Is it more difficult for you to lose this final than last year's final?
ROBIN SODERLING: No. No, they're both tough, of course. (Laughter.) Losing a final in a Grand Slam is not great. It's not a great feeling.
But, you know, I wasn't close in any one of them. I lost straight sets last year and the same this year. It's always tougher if you lose a really, really close match.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/ … 12730.html

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#44 22-06-2010 22:38:01

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

Q. You didn't play any tournament prior to this one. Why was that? Why did you opt for not playing?

ROBIN SODERLING: It was actually the same as last year. I was entered to play Halle. I felt like after Paris I played so many matches. I finished the final on Sunday and I had to go the next day to Halle.
It was just a little bit too much. I wanted to rest that week and then have a week off and then have a week of good preparations with a lot of practice. I got in one practice match, which was very good.

Q. Those were two pretty intense weeks in Paris.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah.

Q. Of course, you had the previous experience from last year. How did you deal with all the emotions and physical requirements you had throughout those two weeks and the following days?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, it was actually much easier this year. Last year it was a little bit tough, of course, you know, playing in my first Grand Slam final. It was really big for me. I was really tired one or even two weeks after the tournament's finished.

But this year was much easier. I felt fine only after a couple of days' rest. I think I learned a lot from last year's Roland Garros, not only that tournament but from the whole last year when I played a lot of big matches against good players.

Q. We don't know your next opponent yet because Granollers is going to play Frederico Gil from Portugal next. You know Granollers. Do you know Frederico Gil?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yes, I know him, but I never played him, I don't think. Granollers, I played a couple times. He's a tough player to beat. We had a really tight match here last year, and he beat me in Australia. I think either one, it's going to be a really tough match and I have to play at least the same way I did today.

Q. Your opponent today said you gave him a drumming. He said you just served him off the court.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I served really well. I think when I do that, especially on grass, you know, I always play well. Of course, it's always difficult to break me. Then I can relax a little bit in the return games.

And today I really did that. I think I played a really good first round match.

Q. He only had two breakpoints. You aced him both times.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, that's bringing out the best serves when it really matters. It's great.

But, you know, as I said, when I serve well, I normally play well, as well.

Q. Any advice for him?

ROBIN SODERLING: For him? Well, you know, every match is different. He actually beat me this year in Chennai. He's a great player. He will probably do well in the future.

Q. No Englishmen here. Just one Swedish player. What can you say? What's going on in your country? Can you give us an official opinion?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I don't think I'm the right person to ask. But, of course, we had a down period in Sweden now for a while. We had so much success in the past with so many good players.
But I think it's like that for any country. You know, you cannot produce good players all the time. I think we have a couple of good juniors doing pretty well. So hopefully, in a few years' time, I won't be the only Swedish player on tour.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/int … 97882.html

#45 28-06-2010 09:51:49

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Wimbledon 2010 - Wywiad po zwycięstwie w 3 rundzie.

Q. Three rounds and you've not dropped a set yet. You must be feeling very confident about your game.

ROBIN SODERLING: Sure, I think I played against three really good players, and, as you said, I didn't drop a set yet, even though maybe I was a little bit lucky to win the third set today.

But, you know, I'm serving well; I'm hitting the ball well. So far I'm feeling really good.

Q. You're one of two players to have beaten both Roger and Rafa at Grand Slams, and obviously you've done that at Paris. Can you do it again here?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. Well, did I did once, so I'm pretty confident that I can do it more times. Of course it's not easy. They're the two best players in the world. You know, you have to play really well and you have to have a really good day.

But I think if I have that, I think I have a good chance.

Q. Have you done anything different in your preparation between Paris and coming here this year?

ROBIN SODERLING: Compared to last year? No, no, the same.

Q. Is this the best you've ever played on grass?

ROBIN SODERLING: It's tough to say. Maybe I played better matches before. I think what I'm really happy with is that I played really well for three matches, nine straight sets now, without really dropping my level too much.

That's really good. I think that's what you need to do in Grand Slams where they spend over two weeks.

Q. Does the dry weather and the higher bounce help?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. I think it suits me well. To me, doesn't really matter. I think I can do well in any conditions and on any surface.

Q. Is your confidence at an all‑time high now given how you've been playing?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, of course I feel really good and my confidence is good because I think I've been playing really well for a year or almost a year and a half now, beating a lot of good players in big matches and in big tournaments.

So confidence is good. I think that's a really big thing in this sport.

Q. Can you explain what that feels like? If you sort of put the yourself to where you were a couple years ago, can you explain how different it feels when you step on court when you are so much more confident.

ROBIN SODERLING: When I step on court and before the match doesn't feel too much different.

It's just when you come to close moments in the match and when it gets tight, you know, I think I believe more in myself. I normally play better when it really matters.

Q. So does it make you more calm?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, and feel more calm and I believe in myself. I feel that I can go for my shots more and be aggressive. Most of the time it helps to be aggressive in big moments.

Q. You broke Rafa's Roland Garros streak and Roger Federer's semifinals streak. Which achievement are you more proud of?

ROBIN SODERLING: I don't know. They're both really good memories for me and great victories. You know, beating Rafa in Paris, he never lost before that match.

And then always beating Roger ‑‑ they were both No. 1s at the time, so it's tough to say. But they're definitely my two biggest wins in my career.

Q. Roger you beat on the 13th try, I think, and he has lost more than usual. Is he more vulnerable right now? Why? What's the main reason?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think it's really tough up in the top. You know, there are so many good players out there. There are so many players who can really play well and really compete for the bigger tournaments, like the Grand Slams. You know, Roger is No. 2 now, but of course he's one of the best players in the world. Maybe the best player of all‑time.

But you cannot win every match and you cannot win forever. You have to lose sometime. Even Roger has to do that.

Q. With Roger and Rafa having both been taken to five sets this year, is there a feeling that there's more of an opportunity for a group of players just behind them, such as yourself?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, not really just because of that. They both got through their matches. I know that anything can happen. You can play really bad one day, and then you wake up the next day playing really good.

They're both favorites. Roger is maybe the No. 1 favorite; Rafa is No. 2. A lot players can actually beat them.

Q. Can you talk a little bit how you have to adjust to play a left‑handed player? What is the main difference?

ROBIN SODERLING: Main difference is the returns, I think. The serve is coming from a different angle. It took a while today also to get used to it.

But I think even though he served well, I think I returned pretty well. There were a lot of games where I actually, you know, came pretty close with a lot 30‑Alls, 15‑30s. So I think I returned well today against left‑hander.

Q. Bjorn Borg sees you as a future No. 1. Do you see yourself that way?

ROBIN SODERLING: I haven't thought about it that much. But, of course, if you are No. 6 in the world I think you have a chance to become No. 1.

I know it's not easy. It's terribly difficult. And of course when you have players like Rafa and Roger, it makes it even more difficult.

I think if I can continue to play the way I do now and keep up my level for a long period, I think I have the chance. But, again, there are a lot of players that have the chance to become No. 1.

Q. Having beaten both of them and with their streaks, is it possible for you to put into words how much that's fueling the fire to break through against one of them in a situation like a Grand Slam?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I think, you know, the first win against any player is really good. It gives you a lot confidence. To win against, you know, the world No. 1 gives you even more confidence. It will for sure make it easier to play them next time.

Q. What does an endorsement from someone like Borg mean to you?

ROBIN SODERLING: Um, of course it's nice to hear. He's a legend in tennis. You know, I think everybody knows what ‑‑ that he knows what he's talking about. He's been at the top of this game for so long. But I still have to do it. It won't happen because he says that. I still have to work hard.

But as I said, I think I have a chance if I stay healthy, if I work hard, and if I play like this.

Q. How has your life changed off court through this success?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I do more media stuff, but that's about it. I still feel the same. I do the same things, so it hasn't changed too much.

Q. You can still walk around unworried in Sweden, or do people approach you all the time?

ROBIN SODERLING: I haven't actually spent so much time in Sweden. But I don't think Swedes are like that. They're pointing and looking more than approach you.

Unfortunately, tennis is not so big in Sweden as it used to be. Hopefully it will become bigger now when I'm doing well. Hopefully I can inspire kids to start playing tennis again.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/int … 24064.html

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#46 29-06-2010 12:11:56

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 4 rundzie

Q. Congratulations. Is this another important step in your career, reaching a quarterfinals at Wimbledon?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. Well, of course it's always nice to be in the quarters in any Grand Slam.

I think last year I had my best result so far reaching the fourth round, and now one step further at least.

Yeah, it's good.

Q. Do you feel your game on grass is improving?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, yeah, I think that my game overall is improving. I think I always could do well on any surface, grass included.

So I'm playing better and better. You know, I think I can do well, again, on any surface.

Q. This was a closer contest that your last three. Is that just because the opponent was a higher standard? Do you feel you played as well today?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think I played okay. I think I played a little bit better in my previous matches. And even though I felt I was hitting the ball well, but I didn't return so well. My first serve percentage wasn't good enough.

Apart from that, I think it was a good match. He played well.

Q. How did you find playing on Court 12. It's quite a small court. Did you find that a distraction?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, not really. Of course it's a bit different compared to playing on the Centre Court and Court 1.

But, you know, that's how it is. I think all courts here are good, so...

Q. You haven't lost your service until now. He's probably one of the most underrated returners in the game. What makes him such a tough returner?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, as you said, I think today he returned really well. He was putting a lot of returns back in court. You know, every time I had a second serve he returned really well.

Unfortunately I didn't serve so well this time compared to my last matches, but I think that's why he broke me a couple times.

Q. Was that your main problem this time round? It was such a see‑saw match. Was it because of the serve or a loss of concentration?

ROBIN SODERLING: No. Well, I think I started off the match really well, and then I had some really good chances in the second as well. I was up a break. So with a little bit of luck and if I could've played a little bit better, I think I could have taken it in straight sets.

Again, he played really well. At the end of the second and the third, you know, he returned really good. It was a tough match, so I'm a little bit lucky to have gone through this one.

Q. You had a medical timeout. Was that for anything serious?

ROBIN SODERLING: No. No. My stomach was a little bit upset. The doctor gave me a pill, and then after that it was fine.

Q. There was an instant right at the end where it looked like you spotted the ball girl looking a little bit unwell and you stopped playing. Could you talk us through what happened.

ROBIN SODERLING: Actually, at first I didn't understand what was happening. You know, all of a sudden they stopped play, and then I understood she didn't feel well. Must be tough for them to stay out there for so many hours. I hope she's fine.

It was just pretty bad timing, me serving for the match at match point. It could have happened a little bit earlier. But that's how it is. I hope she's fine now.

Q. What happened to Magnus?

ROBIN SODERLING: He played squash and he hurt his foot a bit. That's it.

Q. You're a Swede in the last eight at Wimbledon. That will excite a lot of people. What are your memories of the Swedes that came before you at Wimbledon?

ROBIN SODERLING: I remember when I was a kid, you know, I was watching Edberg playing against Becker in the finals. I always loved to watch the bigger tournaments, especially Wimbledon, such an old tournament with a lot of tradition.

So it's nice to be in the eight in this one.

Q. When you were growing up, which Grand Slam did you dream of winning?

ROBIN SODERLING: All of them. (Laughter.) Many times.

No, of course I think, for me, Wimbledon is the biggest one. Even though, you know, if I had to pick one I really wanted to win, I would pick Wimbledon.

But it would be okay to win French and US Open as well.

Q. Obviously looks like you'll be up against Nadal again. Given your success against him in the past, you must relish that contest.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it's gonna be an extremely tough match. He's world No. 1. We played a lot of times and had a lot of tough matches.

Again, it's a quarterfinals in a Grand Slam. It's gonna be tough for sure. But, you know, I think it's definitely easier to play him on any other surface than clay.

Q. What was the key to your success against him in the past, do you think, that you have to reproduce?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think you have to do everything well to beat him. He's such a great player and he moves so well and has a great offensive game and also a great defensive game.

Um, I have to play my own game and take initiative pretty early in the points and serve well.

Q. Are the courts to your liking? Or if it were a little bit colder the ball would bounce a little bit lower, would you prefer it?

ROBIN SODERLING: I'm not sure. I think I ‑‑ only looking at myself, you know, I think I play a little bit better when it's hotter and it's bouncing a little bit higher. But I think Rafa would probably say the same.

To me, doesn't really matter. I take whatever condition it is.

Q. Roger Federer made an interesting comment. He was talking about the England/Germany game, and said that the best players need to play the best players to bring the best out of themselves. Is that something you can relate to?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, not really. You know, I always try to do my best in any match. But maybe it's different for Roger because he won so many matches and he played so many Grand Slam finals.

Me, I think, you know, I'm trying my best all the time. Sometimes I play well; sometimes I'm not playing as well. That's tennis.

Q. What do you think about next round probably against Nadal? He's winning. Just one game.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, if I play him, you know, as I said sure it's gonna be a really tough match. He's a great player, of course. He's the world No. 1. So I have to play well.

I think if I can do that I have an decent chance.

Q. Better than today?

ROBIN SODERLING: If I have to play better?

Q. Better than today.

ROBIN SODERLING: I'm not sure. It's gonna be a different match. He's a left‑hander, and he's not really playing the same style. So I have to think about that.

But I always hope to play better. You know, I always hope to play really well every match. Hopefully I will do that.

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/int … 68722.html

#47 02-07-2010 11:35:00

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2010 - wywiad po porażce w ćwierćfinale

Q. It was a brilliant start for you. What will you say went wrong for you or what went right for Nadal?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think the difference was that he returned a little bit better than me. Uhm, I was a little bit frustrated today because I didn't put many returns in.

Of course, he served pretty well. But it's not like I'm playing one of the best servers on tour. I have to at least put some more returns back in play.

Q. How was your left foot? You received some treatment at the end of the third set. Was that hampering you a bit?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I have a small blister on my toe. I won't die. I think I'll be fine.

Q. So it's no reason...

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, again, I had a small blister on my toe, so nothing serious.

Q. Did you think it would be more politic to wait until the end of the set, given he was about to serve?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, it was hurting me quite a lot. I think it's better to have it fixed than play with it. Don't you think?

Q. Do you think you rushed the first set?

ROBIN SODERLING: I'm sorry?

Q. Do you think you rushed the first set, you were in a hurry?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think I started well. And, you know, in first set I was a bit lucky to win the breakpoints. During the last three sets, I had my chances. Well, in the second and the third. I didn't really take them. So I think that was the biggest difference.

Q. At the start of the second set you successfully challenged the call. Rafa was quite upset that he lost that point. Do you think that kind of fired him up that he improved after that?

ROBIN SODERLING: No. I don't know, I haven't thought about it. It was a really important point. And, you know, I had the ball in play on the breakpoint, but he played well.

I don't know if that was a change. But, again, it was a really important one for me.

Q. You had points on a lot of his service games. I think he had very few when he saved to love. Do you feel he was serving weaker than he has in the past or were you returning well, especially at the start?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I think he served like he always does. He put a lot of first serves in. He doesn't have a huge serve, but it's pretty good, especially on grass.

I didn't return so well. I was a little bit frustrated. I think in my first three matches I returned really well. Last one and this one, not so good. So I think that was the biggest difference.

Q. Do you think, like the Ferrer match, take out of you some points of stamina? I mean, did you feel a little bit tired or not so confident after the Ferrer match?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, no. It was a long match, but yesterday I felt good in practice. And today physically I feel fine.

So, no, not really.

Q. Do you think Rafa is playing as well this year as anyone? How does he compare, his level, as in the French Open?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think he's playing well. He's hitting the ball very well. Of course, he's moving well, as always.

But, you know, it's very difficult to compare how he's playing on grass compared to clay. But he's the world No. 1, and I think he's playing pretty solid tennis. He's got a good chance to win this one.

Q. You say he has a good chance to win the tournament?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think so, yeah. I think everybody still in has a good chance. But now that Roger lost, I'd pick him as the favorite.

Q. If you were to look back and check the Rafa of 2007, the long match between you guys, and the Rafa of today, what's the difference for you?

ROBIN SODERLING: In his game?

Q. Yes.

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think he's playing a little bit more aggressive now on faster surfaces. I'd say on clay he's playing pretty much the same. But, again, on faster surface, he's playing a little bit more aggressive.

Q. I take it would have known about the Federer result. I think it was a bit after the first set. Did that affect your match in any way because you saw he'd gone out?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, no, no (laughter).

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/int … 31918.html

#48 06-07-2010 12:55:12

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Robin Soderling po raz pierwszy w karierze w Top-5!

Podwójny finalista Roland Garros (2009, 2010) Rozgrywa najlepszy sezon w swojej dotychczasowej karierze. Szwed od wczoraj okupuje 5 miejsce w rankingu Entry, najwyższe w karierze. Gratulacje!

5 Soderling, Robin (SWE) 4,935

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#49 01-09-2010 12:48:08

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. That was quite a battle in the end. You must be pretty pleased to have gotten through it.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, of course. It was really a tough match and tough conditions. I think it was pretty hot. Of course I wanted to finish it in three when I had the match point, but as you said, I'm very pleased with the win.

Q. It must have been frustrating, because you could have finished it off when it was sort of an hour and a half...

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, as I said, I was very close having three or four match points and couldn't finish the match, so of course I wanted to do that. But it's better to win in five than lose in five.

Q. I'm sure better than winning in five is winning in three, especially when you're beginning a fortnight tournament. But on the other hand, one can say that starting a tournament, being pushed, being pressed, and being able to prevail in five sets is not so bad a way to start, yeah?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I think I feel pretty good physically. I mean, I had almost four good hours of practice, so it's not so bad.

Q. Are you happy with the game, happy with the way you played out there?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. Well, I think I can play better, of course, but, you know, I played worse. It's okay. I've been working hard now and still working hard, so hopefully I will play better already in my next match.

Q. Do you come into this tournament feeling that expectations are higher of you now than ever before entering this particular tournament? If so...

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, no -- well, I try not to care too much about expectations. You know, I play for myself, and I know that if I play well I can do really well here. But I played for so long now that I know that every player, every opponent is dangerous, and you have to play -- you have to play well to win. I think that shows today. I played against a qualifier. I don't know his ranking, but it's not so high, and it was a very close match.

Q. Are you as confident entering this tournament as you've ever been at this time of the season?

ROBIN SODERLING: It's been a little bit up and down for me this season. I think I played really well in Paris and in Wimbledon, and then after that I didn't play so well for a couple of tournaments. But as I said, you know, I've been working hard. I played for so long now, and it's been a lot of up and downs for me. So far, it's always been better after a while when I didn't play so well, and I'm pretty sure it will come soon.

Q. Is the confidence high when you go into a Grand Slam? You talked about both Wimbledon and Roland Garros where you obviously played well. Do you then arrive at Grand Slams with an extra sort of buzz about it? Seems to bring out the best in you.

ROBIN SODERLING: I think everybody wants to do well in the Grand Slam. I'm very happy the way I've been playing in the bigger tournaments now for the last year and a half or almost two years. I think I showed that I can go very, very deep in every Grand Slam. Yeah, I think I showed that for many tournaments now. But again, you know, you have to play well, you know. I can't just go on court and not fight and not playing well. Then you will lose.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 59736.html

#50 05-09-2010 10:42:16

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 2 rundzie

Q. Could you talk about the match, the way you felt you played today.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it was good. I think I was hitting the ball pretty well. Served well, especially in the two first sets. You know, I managed to break him first game, which was good. And then after that, I kind of relaxed a little bit and played better. So overall it was a very good match, I think.

Q. The expectations of you are higher going into a Grand Slam. From your perspective, do you feel that expectations are higher because of the kind of year you've been having? If so, how does that affect you?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I feel there is some more expectations. But, you know, I played so many Grand Slams and so many tournaments, so I know what I did in previous tournaments doesn't really matter. Every tournament is a new tournament. I'm pretty confident with myself. I know that I can do well when I play well. But you need to play well. No one can play well every match. So anything can happen. I can lose first round; I can go on really deep to the second week as well.

Q. How do you feel about playing in New York?

ROBIN SODERLING: I like this tournament. I like all the Grand Slams, mostly because they're so different from each other. I mean, this is definitely the loudest one. It's different, and I like it. I really enjoy playing some night matches here in the past. It's a nice tournament to play.

Q. It's very early in the tournament. Most players like to go match by match. Do you project ahead a little bit, what it would be like to be in a semifinal or final here?

ROBIN SODERLING: It would be very nice. No, again, you know, there's a lot more matches to win before the semis. I have to beat a lot of good players. I have to focus on my next round. I think, again, if I play well, I have a good chance. If I win, I'm into the fourth round and it's the second week. I think everything can happen. But you need a little bit of luck, as well.

Q. You mentioned you don't play well all the time. You don't want to leave it to chance. What will you do to try to maybe help that along so it isn't just luck?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I'll try to work hard every day. Especially I try to work on things in my game that hasn't been working lately. And I feel like if I always give hundred percent and work hard, there's not much more you can do.

Q. The way you celebrated at the end suggested that was a match that could be difficult for you. Is that fair to say?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. He's a dangerous player, especially on faster surfaces like this. But I was really happy with the way I played, and to beat him in straight sets shows that I'm playing good.

Q. There's been a lot of talk about what Magnus has done for you as far as making you a better player, helping you rise in the rankings. I know you're recently married. Can you talk about how that has helped you?

ROBIN SODERLING: I'm not married.

Q. What is it about being married as a pro tennis player? Is there a feeling you might lose your competitive edge if you get married?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I don't think so. Me and my girlfriend, we've been together for three years. I don't think it will change anything. We'll still have the same life.

Q. What do you know about your next opponent?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, we actually played earlier this year I think on clay. He's a good player. I mean, he can hit very well from both sides and has a good serve. I think, you know, he's a dangerous player, especially on hard courts. It's not going to be easy.

Q. How fast are the courts playing this year?

ROBIN SODERLING: They are pretty fast. I think especially when the weather is like this. Now I heard maybe it's going to cool off a little bit. Then the conditions will be probably a little bit slower. But, you know, the first couple days here it's been really fast.

Q. Do you prefer it a little bit slower or are you happy the way it is?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I think a little bit slower would suit my game a little bit better, I think.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 08099.html

#51 06-09-2010 22:38:52

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 3 rundzie

Q. You must be very happy with the way you've been playing in this tournament. You seem to be cruising pretty much through.

ROBIN SODERLING: Except the first round. No, it's been better and better, I think. Started my first match maybe not so great, but after that I think I played two pretty good matches. And today was not easy. It was difficult conditions. I told myself before the match, It's not gonna be pretty. I think during the circumstances, I played a pretty good match.

Q. How would you say this connects to the rest of the summer on hardcourts for you?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I only played two tournaments, and I think, you know, I had two good wins and two losses against good players. Maybe the result hasn't been really what I wanted to, but I played some pretty good tennis, so it's been okay. It's been good preparation for this tournament.

Q. These days, when fans of Roger and Rafa look at the draw, the first thing they look for is, Where is Soderling? How does that feel?

ROBIN SODERLING: (Smiling.) Well, I think they should look for many other players, because I think there's a lot of players who can do really well. Of course, in any tournament, when Roger and Rafa is playing, they will be the favorites. But, again, I think there is many players who can actually beat them.

Q. Have you played any better this year than you did when you played against Federer in Paris?

ROBIN SODERLING: What was that?

Q. Have you played any better than you did in that match in Paris?

ROBIN SODERLING: It's tough to compare matches. It was definitely a very good match. It's tough to say if it was one of my best ones, but of course, you know, it's always difficult to play against Roger. I played him a lot of times, and I think almost except from that last match I never felt that I played well. But that's not because of me. That's because of him, because he makes you play bad. So I think it was a very good match. One of my best five matches this year.

Q. One of his last service games he hit, I think it was a service winner ultimately, but you had some problem with that. I don't know if it was a Hawk Eye issue, or a call issue. You spoke to the umpire a little bit. Do you remember that?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, yeah. It was a let serve. I think during the match there were a couple of strange let calls. I think she called let when not one of us heard, and it then all of a sudden she didn't call it. Yeah, I think it was the machine.

Q. When you came on the tour, what would you have thought was your best surface, and what do you think your best surface is now?

ROBIN SODERLING: Now I'm not sure. (Smiling.) When I started, I had my best results indoors and on faster surfaces. But I think last two years I played very good on all surfaces, especially on clay. So now I'm not sure anymore, which is a good thing, because I really feel like I can do well on any surface.

Q. How close to ideal do you feel this surface is to you in terms of your comfort level on the court?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I think it's a good surface for me. I played well here in the past. Um, the thing is that a lot of the courts are not the same. Some courts are a little bit faster. Some courts are a little bit slower. So I think some courts suits me better than other ones. But overall, I think it's pretty good for me. It's not too fast, not too slow. It's good.

Q. Why do you think this is the one Slam that Nadal has not won? You're very familiar, obviously, with his game. You've seen him on all the different surfaces. In your mind, why do you think the US Open has been particularly difficult for him?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think you should ask him. He could easily have won this one, as well. But I think it might be the fastest one, and even though he has improved his game on the fastest surfaces, I think he still is a better player on the bit slower surfaces. Maybe that is why. But I think he will definitely have a good chance to win this tournament a couple of times.

Q. If he is successful here, given his head to head with Roger, do you think it's a matter of time before he'll be looked at maybe as even greater than Roger?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, he's still very young, and of course he needs to win a lot more matches and a lot more tournaments before he's at the same level as Roger. But if he's gonna be healthy, he for sure have a lot of more years, and he's for sure gonna be win many more tournaments. It's tough to say, but he definitely got the chance. He's got a very good game, and he also got a good game for any surface, you know. I think it shows. He won so many tournaments on all different surfaces.

Q. You have a reputation as a giant killer. I'm sure that's a pleasant one to have. Is it ever irritating? Do you feel you're ready to move on to the next level where you're a giant instead of a giant killer?

ROBIN SODERLING: Oh, no, I don't really care. I think Roger and Rafa, they're best two players in the world right now. I think it will remain like that for a couple of years. But, you know, I'm in the top 5. Of course I want to improve. I want to do better. But it's also a matter of doing well many matches, many tournaments in a row, not only ones here and there. I think you need to play at a very consistent level throughout the whole year.

Q. You go about your business very quietly. Is it getting harder to do that with the kind of attention you're getting now because of your recent results?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, a little bit maybe. But, you know, I still feel the same, and I'm doing the same things every day: working on my game and trying not to think about other stuff. I think I've been handling it pretty well. I still want to improve, and hopefully -- I'm still not that old, so hopefully I can do that.

Q. Peter talked about how people look at where you are in the draw. Have you looked a bit ahead? Do you know what's coming possibly next round and the round after?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I saw Montanes won in his match against Nishikori. I will play him in the next round, which will be a very difficult match. We played many times. We had tough matches. Yeah, I think here was the first round last year we had a tough four setter, I think. He's a good player. It's gonna be tough.

Q. Do you know what might happen the round after that?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah. Everybody has been telling me that since the draw came out. I'm going against Roger in the quarters. He still needs to win two more matches, and I still have to win one more. It's still far ahead.

Q. Does that bother you people have been telling you, or it's gonna happen no matter what you do?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I mean, I'm the fifth seed, so I know I'm gonna play one of the four top guys in quarters. I mean, they're all good players, so it doesn't really matter who I'm playing.

Q. I assume you're still coached by Magnus. You appear to be very well coached. Can you just comment on the kinds of things you've been doing and how you've been maintaining this level?

ROBIN SODERLING: Ah, yeah, we've been working on many different things. I think if you look at all the top guys, they don't really have any weaknesses. They are all very complete players. That's what we've been trying to work on, you know. We've been working a lot on my footwork, on my movement around the court, and also playing a little bit more aggressive, coming to the net sometimes. It's been working, but we are still working on it, and hopefully I'm pretty sure it can improve even more.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 58325.html

#52 09-09-2010 17:55:34

Serenity

User

US Open 2010 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 4 rundzie

Q. Does it bother you that you're probably the best tennis player who is not a household name at this point? Do you see winning the Open as a way to get into the Federer/Nadal household name?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I never think like that. Of course, you know, I want to win every match that I play. Like anyone else, I'd like to play well in the Grand Slams. But, you know, I don't think like that.

Q. What is the sort of mental approach to getting ready for a match against Federer or Nadal? You're one of the few guys that has beaten them on these stages.

ROBIN SODERLING: I try to prepare the same for every match. You know, I have my routines. I do the same things. You know, it makes me calm. So it's no different from any other match.

Q. Henrik Lundqvist, goalie for the New York Rangers.

ROBIN SODERLING: I don't know him. I've spoken to him a couple times, but I don't know him. He's big here in New York.

Q. Can you tell us a little of today's match? Are you getting better in your form?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, yeah, I think my first match here was not so good. Then I think I played better and better for every match. I still have some things to improve before I can say I play really well. But, you know, I think I'm playing better and better. And today was overall a pretty good match.

Q. What improvements specifically do you need to make?

ROBIN SODERLING: I think everything can be better, you know. Again, I'm playing a little bit better, but it can be even better.

Q. You didn't always seem to see eye to eye with the umpire. What was that about?

ROBIN SODERLING: Well, she refused me to make a challenge. It never happened to me, ever in my career. So I was a little bit confused. That's it.

Q. Since you were runner up at the French Open last year, you have been very consistent in the slams. Do you now expect yourself to be at least in the quarterfinals every time?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, no, of course not. I think every match is tough. I really feel that I can go very, very far in the big tournaments. But also I can lose early if I don't play well. So I have to be a hundred percent focused for every match and play well. Then I have a good chance to compete for the bigger tournaments. But if I'm not playing well, you know, I can lose early.

Q. Looks likely you'll be playing Roger Federer. Do matches like that just pump you up even more, because you seem to get the better out of them than other players? I know you don't prepare differently.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, of course, I think it's always a very nice feeling to play against the world's best. You know, it's matches like that you train for. It's matches like that I've been dreaming of playing since I started playing tennis, you know, playing at the big courts in the big tournaments. It's very fun.

Q. If you do play Federer, are you going to watch the replay of the Del Potro final last year?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, well, you know, I played him so many times, I know his game and he knows mine. I'm pretty sure how I need to play to have a chance to win. But, you know, it's going to be extremely difficult if I play Roger.

Q. Is there a slight chance for Melzer to win tonight?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I think he's a great player. He played really well the last year or so. Of course, Roger is the big favorite. But I think if Jurgen plays well, I think anybody can beat Roger, anybody at least in the top 10. I think he had a great year, but he had some losses this year. Of course, there's a chance.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interv … 09131.html

#53 14-11-2010 16:53:12

jaccol55

Administrator

#6 Paryż-Bercy 2010

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/082Ifin0Se0mz/232x326.jpg?center=0.5,0

R48 Bye
R32 SIMON, Gilles (FRA) 6-4 6-0
R16 WAWRINKA, Stanislas (SUI) 7-6(3) 6-3
QF   RODDICK, Andy (USA) 7-5 6-4
SF   LLODRA, Michael (FRA) 6-7(0) 7-5 7-6(6)
F     MONFILS, Gael (FRA) 6-1 7-6(1)

Jest to najlepszy turniejowy skalp Szweda w karierze. W Bercy po raz pierwszy wygrał turniej Masters. Jest pierwszym Szwedem po 10 latach, który wygrał Mastersa (ostatnim razem w 2000r. wygrał Thomas Enqvist w Cincinnati). Robin wygrał po raz 1 pierwszy w karierze więcej niż jeden turniej w sezonie (w tym roku wygrał także w Rotterdamie, na początku sezonu).

Soda na francuskim gruncie pokonał 3 Francuzów. Nieźle.

#54 14-11-2010 19:04:52

Sempere

User

ATP Paryż: Największy tytuł w karierze Söderlinga

Robin Söderling wywalczył w Paryżu-Bercy pierwszy w karierze tytuł w turnieju Masters 1000. W finale Szwed, piąta rakieta świata, pokonał faworyta gospodarzy Gaëla Monfilsa (6:1, 7:6 w 1h17').

Dwa finały Roland Garros są nie do przecenienia, ale w sporcie liczą się wygrane. Söderling po raz trzeci w trzeciej potyczce (poprzednio w ubiegłym tygodniu w Walencji) nie dał się Monfilsowi i przed jego paryską publicznością sięgnął po swój szósty, ale największy tytuł. Przed Szwedem jeszcze jedno wyzwanie w tym sezonie: Masters w Londynie.

Dlaczego zwycięstwo w Palais Omnisports w XII dzielnicy Paryża smakuje tak słodko? A gdzie jak nie w paryżu Söderling przegrał dwa wielkoszlemowe finały? W tym roku to jego drugi triumf turniejowy, po Rotterdamie w lutym. W Bercy obronił trzy meczbole w meczu półfinałowym z Llodrą. W poniedziałek awansuje na czwarte miejsce w rankingu.

Podobnie jak w Walencji, Söderling nie dał Monfilsowi ani jednej szansy na przełamanie. On był lepszy (o 20 punktów), skuteczniejszy (88% punktów po swoim pierwszym podaniu), częściej atakował (26 winnerów przy 20 piłkach zepsutych, 15/18 wygranych akcji przy siatce).

W otwierającym secie serwujący rywale zdawali się walczyć łeb w łeb, gdy przy 1:2 zupełnie pogubił się Monfils: zrobiło się 0-40. Pierwszego break pointa paryżanin obronił akcją serw&wolej, ale później zmuszony przez Szweda do błędu wolejowego stracił podanie. Kolejny raz miało to miejsce przy 1:4, gdy Söderling zdecydowanie zaatakował na równowagę, a dzięki błędowi Monfilsa miał break pointa, którego wykorzystał pięknym passing shotem po krosie.

Bez break pointów w drugiej partii, szybko rozstrzygniętej w tie breaku: Monfils już na początku popełnił podwójny błąd serwisowy, a sytuacja ze sprawdzeniem śladu przez Söderlinga (zamiast 2-3 było 1-4) zupełnie go chyba zdekoncentrowała. Po zwycięskim woleju Szwed padł na kort i uśmiech z twarzy mu już tego popołudnia nie miał prawa zniknąć.

Monfils: Trofeum przywiozę z Belgradu

Söderling: - Gaël, gratulacje za znakomity turniej! Ciężko jest przegrać dwa finały z rzędu w jednym turnieju. Ja mam to za sobą, w tym mieście [śmiech]. Dziękuje rodzinie, która wiem, że mnie teraz ogląda [macha do kamery]. Dziękuje za wsparcie teamowi i mojej cudownej dziewczynie Jenni [Moström].

Monfils: - To był kolejny znakomity dla mnie tydzień. Emocjonalnie dałem z siebie wszystko. Znowu uciekła mi szansa na tytuł, ale mimo wszystko muszę podziękować za wsparcie rodzinie i mojemu teamowi. Nie dałem wam zwycięstwa tutaj, ale puchar wam przywiozę. Z Belgradu! [finał Pucharu Davisa, 3-5 grudnia].

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis/2010/ … sderlinga/

#55 15-11-2010 08:11:11

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Brawo Robin! Należało się. 2-krotny finalista turnieju wielkoszlmeowego powinien mieć wygranego Mastersa.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#56 15-11-2010 13:16:46

jaccol55

Administrator

15.11.2010r.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bfq8RL183gX4/232x97.jpg?center=0.5,0

Robin osiąga swoją najwyższą pozycję w karierze po zwycięstwie w Paryżu. Jest obecnie na 4 pozycji, wyprzedził w rankingu utrzymującego się od dłuższego czasu na tym miejscu Szkota, Andy'ego Murraya.

#57 16-11-2010 15:02:13

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Soderling's strictly second tier

When it comes to reflecting on the merits of different tennis players at any given time a number of people seem to stick on their hyperbole hats and jump to extremes.

Thus Roger Federer regularly bounces from being completely washed up to back to his best, while Andy Murray hovers from future multiple Grand Slam champion to a mummy's boy who is destined to live a Henman-esque Slam-less existence.

Invariably the truth lies somewhere in between. Tennis players are never as good, or as bad, as the people who passionately praise or grumble about their talents say they are.

With all that in mind, Tramlines would like to dispassionately congratulate Robin Soderling on winning his first Masters title in Paris last week and moving up to a career high ranking of fourth in the world.

However, it is just silly talk to suggest that this will precipitate an avalanche of further Masters titles and Slams from the Swede.

Soderling is not suddenly going to beat up on the big boys on a regular basis. He is what he is: an excellent, consistent, second-tier slugger in the fashion of Nikolay Davydenko, David Nalbandian, Ivan Ljubicic and Tommy Haas.

All four of those players reached the top three in the world (Haas was as high as two at one stage) without ever residing at the same elite level of Federer, Rafael Nadal and to a lesser extent Novak Djokovic and dare we even say it... Murray.

Let's stick to that comparison with Murray for a moment. Soderling has reached as many Grand Slam finals (two) as Murray and now stands above him in the rankings. He even beat the Scot quite emphatically in Indian Wells this season - the first meeting between the two in four years.

However, does anybody genuinely believe that the Swede is the better player? A more consistent player, maybe, but certainly not a better one.

You just have to look at their respective records against the current top three in the world to get a sense of things.

Soderling's combined record against the 'big three' stands at 4-24, while Murray has a 15-17 record.

Of course Murray has plenty of his own problems - lack of attacking intent, temperamental issues, the burden of a ruthless national media, lack of consistency etc - but he can, and has, reached a world class standard in the past that suggests he has Slams in him.

Soderling, though, is simply an excellent pro who still lacks that X-factor that suggests he can reach the very highest level.

Just look at who he beat to win in Paris: Gael Monfils, Michael Llodra, Andy Roddick, Stanislas Wawrinka and Gilles Simon.

A collection of has-beens and wannabes - all players you would expect Soderling to beat when he is playing at his best.

And this is what we can expect to see from the Swede for the rest of his career. He will usually beat the players he is supposed to beat and lose to the ones he is expected to fall to.

He's no Superhero - he's Robin, not Batman.

Tramlines predicts he will finish his career without a Slam - but with about $15 million in career prize money.

Poor him, eh?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/tr … rticle/63/

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#58 19-11-2010 18:28:16

jaccol55

Administrator

SODERLING FINDS THE X-FACTOR
DEUCE

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/EFAB270E39F6451184F996965D89AC28.ashx

He always had the brutal groundstrokes and thunderous serve. Now that Robin Soderling has the mental toughness, he’ll be hard to stop at this year’s tournament.

The first thing you notice about Robin Soderling is his sheer power. Those who saw the Swede in action at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals last year, when he reached the semi-finals, will remember how his brutal groundstrokes had opponents constantly scrambling back in defence.

“Aggressive. That’s the way I like to play,” says the 26 year old. “I like to hit hard and make my opponents run. When that’s working, I always get my best results.”

It’s certainly been working throughout this year. Back in February he won the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam. He also reached the quarter-finals at both Wimbledon and the US Open, and advanced to the Roland Garros final for a second straight year. But it was on the eve of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals that he posted his finest result of the season, winning his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title at the BNP Paribas Masters. Surely it’s only a matter of time before he gets a Grand Slam title under his belt?

“Soderling has improved a lot of things in his game,” says Bjorn Borg, another Swede who knows a thing of two about success in the majors. “He’s ready to win a Grand Slam tournament. He’s always going to be one of the favourites to win.”

Along with Stefan Edberg, Mats Wilander and Thomas Enqvist, Borg is one of the Swedish legends whose shoes Soderling is trying hard to fill. “I had a few idols when I was younger, especially all the Swedish guys,” Soderling remembers. “There were so many when I grew up. There was always someone to watch and always someone who played well. They inspired me a lot.”

Soderling was born and grew up in the small town of Tibro, which lies between Sweden’s two big lakes Vattern and Vanern, in the south of the country. His father Bo is a lawyer, his mother Britt-Inge a housewife, and his older sister Sandra a teacher. Soderling first took up tennis at the age of five. He remembers cycling to and from his local tennis courts, even during the harsh winters.

His childhood friend, the current Swedish doubles specialist Johan Brunstrom, recalls how, even as a youngster, Soderling used to fight really hard on the court. “In his age group there were three or four guys who were fighting big time against each other every time they played,” he says. “Robin came out on top of these battles most of the time. I think that created a big confidence from an early stage which helped a lot throughout juniors and on to the pro tour.”

Another Swedish player who remembers how strong Soderling was as a youngster is former Top 10 player, Joachim Johansson. “He was very competitive and took his own way,” he says. “Robin does not fear anyone. This is a strength that he has had all his life. Even when he was 10 and 12 years old, he always had the feeling that he could be No. 1.”

But Soderling has had to work very hard to harness his power game. His coach, former World No. 2 Magnus Norman, reveals how together they have improved Soderling’s mental game.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Finals-2010/~/media/CFAB32626EEE4356BF9DAB87C3C4E941.ashx?w=250&h=180&as=1“In the past he was throwing away matches that he should have won,” he says. “He was affected by the wind, spectators, by things that he could not control. What I was trying to do when I took over was to change his mentality, make it a strength.

“But in the beginning we had a rough time together. We were talking a lot, spending a lot of time together. I am sure he was sick of hearing my voice. But Soderling is very eager to learn new things, and he is an analyst. Sometimes he comes back to me and says: ‘I don’t really agree with you. Tell me why you think that?’ Then we discuss it more and more until we both agree on a plan.”

Soderling hasn’t always been the most popular player on the circuit. He once even admitted he didn’t join the ATP World Tour to make new friends. His coach is well aware that sometimes his protégé’s character can appear as hard as his groundstrokes. “Robin has a very strong personality,” he says. “You have to develop a feeling when to approach him. But he is more open now than in the past. Expectations have changed a lot. Very interesting to see how he handles the pressure.”

And there will certainly be a huge amount of pressure here at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Last year, on his debut at the season finale, he narrowly lost in the semi-finals to Juan Martin del Potro, in a third set tie-break.

“Hopefully I can take that experience and do even better this time,” Soderling says positively. “There are only eight players, and you play against the world’s best, so every match you play could be like a Grand Slam final. I will have to be ready from the first match.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE- … rling.aspx

#59 20-11-2010 02:30:21

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

BARCLAYS ATP WORLD TOUR FINALS

Soderling Comfortable With Life As A Top Player
London, England

Robin Soderling has a 56-20 match record on the season.
Robin Soderling, the leading indoor specialist in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals field, who achieved a career-high No. 4 in the South African Airways 2010 ATP Rankings after his BNP Paribas Masters, insists "a ranking is just a number, but it won’t change anything."

The Swede comes into the London season finale with a 20-4 indoor record over the past 12 months – seven victories more than the nearest of his fellow qualifiers, David Ferrer (13-3). He has a 56-20 match record on the season, highlighted by a second successive runner-up finish at Roland Garros.

“I feel like I’m improving and I like being a top player," said Soderling at the London Marriott Hotel County Hall on Friday. "It is what I have worked hard for. This is where I want to be. It always adds more pressure. I play many more matches now where I am a favourite. I think I have handled it well over the past couple of years.

“I’ve always liked to play indoors. Growing up in Sweden, I’ve grown up on the surface so I go into every tournament with confidence. I feel good. I think I have had a good season and been very solid and played well throughout the whole year. The past week, winning my first [ATP World Tour] Masters 1000 title was great and I did it on a pretty similar surface to the one here in London.”

Soderling, who has recovered from a stomach bug, will meet British favourite Andy Murray in the first round robin match on Sunday. The pair has met on four occasions.

“I think every match has been even against Andy, they’ve always been tough matches. Even though three of them were a few years ago, they were close. It will be tough, but it will be close. I’ll have to play well to win. It not, it will be extremely difficult.

“He moves extremely well, returns well and doesn’t give you anything. He is an extremely tough player to play against and you always have to play well to beat him.”

Soderling’s Art of Tennis self-portrait was sold at auction for $5,100 on Thursday night. He admitted, “It was really nice to create it and it was for a good cause. It makes me happy that someone wants to buy it and help Children in Need.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … layer.aspx

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#60 26-11-2010 21:10:45

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5272 … nus-norman

Nie jest to potwierdzona inforamcja, ale ponoć Soderling rozstał się ze swoim trenerem - Magnusem Normanem.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

Stopka forum

RSS