John Isner

* Birthplace: Greensboro,North Carolina USA
    * Residence: Tampa, Florida, USA
    * Height: 6'9" (206 cm)
    * Weight: 236 lbs (107 kg)
    * Plays: Right-handed
    * Turned Pro: 2007
    * Coach: Craig Boynton

Ostatnio zapomniany. W rankingu jeszcze nie najgorzej(94 miejsce) Może teraz u siebie ponownie da o sobie znać, sprawiając jakąś niespodziankę.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/2759760170_3613ee992c.jpg

#2 13-07-2009 16:13:47

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Re: John Isner

Zapomniany, bo zawiesił występy na kortach.
Przyczyna? Mononukleoza.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#3 15-07-2009 10:49:59

Statystyczny

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Frank Dancevic

To chyba już czwarty zawodnik/zawodniczka?: Federer, Ancic, Dokić i teraz on.

Frank Dancevic---------Stefan Koubek---------Grigor Dimitrov-------Dustin Brown------Jo- Wilfried Tsonga-----Łukasz Kubot----- Michał Przysiężny------Horacio Zeballos

http://dropszot.blogspot.com - zapraszam na świetnego bloga poświęconego niższym szczeblom męskich rozgrywek tenisowych.
Blog został zawieszony na nieokreślony okres czasu.

#4 15-07-2009 22:47:39

Jules

User

Ja tam go kojarzę tylko z dobrym serwisem i tym, że odebrał seta Federerowi na US Open 2007 bodajże.

#5 15-07-2009 23:28:15

Kubecki

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Novak Djokovic

I byl w finale w jednym z amerykanskich turniejow gdzie przegral final chyba z Roddickiem.

#6 26-07-2009 12:59:38

Statystyczny

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Frank Dancevic

Tak, to był Waszyngton 07. Pokonał tam nie byle kogo, bo Haasa i Monfilsa.

Frank Dancevic---------Stefan Koubek---------Grigor Dimitrov-------Dustin Brown------Jo- Wilfried Tsonga-----Łukasz Kubot----- Michał Przysiężny------Horacio Zeballos

http://dropszot.blogspot.com - zapraszam na świetnego bloga poświęconego niższym szczeblom męskich rozgrywek tenisowych.
Blog został zawieszony na nieokreślony okres czasu.

#7 06-09-2009 08:40:11

PanEliot

User

Wczoraj pokonał w Us Open Andy-go Roddicka po pięciu setach. Drzemie w nim niezły potencjał, który czeka żeby się obudzić ciekawe czy to Us Open 2009 to to?

Oh, I would be honoured to even be compared to Roger. He is such an unbelievable talent, and is capable of anything. Roger could be the greatest tennis player of all time. - Rod Laver

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Medi … ibute.aspx

#8 07-09-2009 17:24:28

Art

User

After Battling Illness, Isner Returns Stronger Than Ever:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articl … ?promo=top

#9 16-09-2009 14:43:06

asiek

User

John po świetnym występie w US Open notuje najwyższą pozycję w rankingu ATP w karierze. Jest to 39. lokata.

#10 06-10-2009 20:30:32

szeva

User

Nie lubię tego zawodnika, poza serwisem nie ma nic. Chociaż takie mecze jak z Roddickiem w USO może grać częściej

I LOVE TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 05-12-2009 20:45:16

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Sezon 2009 w liczbach

Ranking: 34
Tytuły: 0
Finały: 0
Bilans spotkań: 27-18     
Zarobki: $452,988

AO - 1 Runda
RG -
WM -
US - 4 Runda

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#12 16-01-2010 14:16:12

jaccol55

Administrator

#1 - Auckland 2010

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gWe8Gq9ei4HG/232x346.jpg?center=0.5,0

R1 GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo 46 76(3) 62
R2 MONACO, Juan 57 64 63
QF ROBREDO, Tommy 76(5) 36 64
SF MONTANES, Albert 62 76(5)
F CLEMENT, Arnaud 6/3 5/7 7/6

#13 16-01-2010 15:22:30

szeva

User

W wyniku meczu finałowego jest błąd, powinno być 6/3 5/7 7/6

I LOVE TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 20-01-2010 12:13:03

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Wywiad po meczu 2 rundy AO:

An interview with:
JOHN ISNER

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. I assume you didn't know a thing about that guy.

JOHN ISNER: I didn't. I kind of knew what he liked to do like on the court. You know, my coach told me a couple little things, but not much.

With the way I play, it's more about, you know, what I have to do in the point instead of what my opponent does well or doesn't do so well.

So, I mean, I knew he was obviously playing well. I knew it was going to be a tough match. And it was.

Q. What went well for you in the match?

JOHN ISNER: I served well. I didn't get broken, so that helps. I was a little bit tired out there. I played a lot of matches in the last, you know, eight days or so. So I was a little bit tired. But once I was able to get that second set, I kind of felt relieved after that. And I felt a little better in the third set than I did in the second.

Q. Do you feel you're riding a confidence wave right now?

JOHN ISNER: Yeah. I am. I mean, that comes with winning. So the more matches I win, the more confident I'm gonna get. I've won seven in a row. I've never done that in my career. So this is a first.

Having tomorrow off will be real big for me. So, you know, hopefully I can in two days' time be ready to go and put forth a good effort out there.

Q. Will you do just a light hit tomorrow?

JOHN ISNER: I have a doubles match.

Q. Who are you playing with?

JOHN ISNER: Sam Querrey.

Q. I think, if I'm not wrong, you have Monfils next?

JOHN ISNER: Yes.

Q. You played him?

JOHN ISNER: Three times. I won 7‑6 in the third. He won 6‑3 in the third. I won 6‑4 in the third. They've all been down to the wire.

Q. Just talk about that matchup, things that he does, what challenges that presents for your game.

JOHN ISNER: Just his athleticism, the way he can run down balls. The point's never over with him. No matter where you hit the ball, he's going to get the balls that you really don't think is humanly possible, but it is with him.

So I'm gonna have to serve well and I'm gonna have to get into the net. I probably don't want to get into long, extended rallies with him. So we'll see what happens.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 08390.html

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#15 22-01-2010 18:37:01

Art

User

Konferencja po meczu III r.

Q. Where would you rate that one?

JOHN ISNER: As far as what?

Q. Big wins.

JOHN ISNER: It's got to be up there. You know, it's a pretty big match. No matter who I beat, that's going to be up there. Only the second time I've made it this far in a slam.

Maybe it's real high on the list.

Q. The last few sets you had the kick serve ace on set point. That was pretty exciting. Good play in the breakers.

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, you know, I was up a set and a break, and I lost the second set. Got down 4‑1, but then brought it back and played great in the third‑set tiebreaker. Did the same set in the fourth‑set tiebreaker.

Really proud of how I played in the clutch moments. I kept coming forward. I didn't play not to win. I played to win. Kind of forced the issue in those two tiebreakers. I was real proud of that.

Q. What sort of match are you expecting in the next round?

JOHN ISNER: It's going to be tough. He's, you know, 4 in the world or whatnot. Andy's such a really, really good player. I'm going to have to play really, really well to have a chance out there. He's one of the fittest guys on tour. He really can do anything. He can play offense. He can play defense. He can mix it up really well.

I know he'll have a pretty good game plan going into the match. I'm going to have to do the same. Hopefully I can put another effort like I did today.

Q. When somebody has such a good reputation and stats as a returner, does that affect your attitude?

JOHN ISNER: No. It's gonna be a challenge to hold serve a lot, really. That's gonna be my number one focus, first and foremost, is holding serve, and taking it from there. As long as I'm doing that, I know I'll be in the match.

But it's going to be a challenge. I'm going to want to try to force the issue in that match, as well. Coming forward, being aggressive. I'll be making mistakes, but hopefully hitting a good amount of winners as well.

Q. Have you hit with Andy at all?

JOHN ISNER: I don't think I've ever even hit with him.

Q. How do you explain the great recent form you've been, Auckland to here?

JOHN ISNER: I don't know. I've worked hard in the off‑season, I know that much. I put in the time. So I guess I kind of deserve to be where I am now. You know, doing so well in Auckland, I was kind of playing with house money here, winning my first ATP tournament.

Coming here, have nothing to lose, you know. I was just kind of riding a wave of momentum, and I still am.

Hopefully I can keep it going. I know I'm playing well. Know I've gotten this far; no reason to stop.

Q. How were you introduced to Steve Smith?

JOHN ISNER: I didn't know him before this. Somebody told me, actually the guy right there in the red hat, told me he was coming to town. He had heard of me before. He's a tennis fan. He was coming with his buddy. I immediately jumped at the opportunity to give him a credential and whatnot. Met him about five or six days ago. Hit it off since then.

He's watched every one of my matches. I've watched him a million times. Kind of cool to have him in my corner.

Q. Do you see Andy as one of the main threats for the tournament here?

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, he's one of the top favorites I would guess. Him, Fed, Nadal, Del Potro, Djokovic. Andy might even be the favorite. Even though he hasn't won a slam, he's always a guy that's going to be heard from. I think that's the same here. He's obviously feeling well and playing well.

Hopefully I can put an end to his run, but it's going to be a tough task.

Q. Did beating Roddick at the US Open do a lot for your confidence?

JOHN ISNER: I think it did. I think it did. Just the way I won that match and kind of the stage I won it on, it showed me that I belonged in the top 20 players of the game. I know that's where my ranking is going, and I'm going to get there.

You know, after beating him there, there's nobody I'm scared to play. If I play my game and I play well, I like to think I can beat anybody.

Q. Do you have to push yourself in the tiebreaks? I know you can serve big when you want to, but to play aggressive with the forehand, do you have to kind of tell yourself, Okay, don't play too conservative with this guy?

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I really do. That's how I try to play every point. In the tiebreaks, I maybe focus a little bit better in those situations. I think I hit my forehand well, came into the net, won a lot of points at net today. I did that in the tiebreaker. That's always going to be my game plan.

Q. How do you think your serve compare's to Andy Murray's?

JOHN ISNER: I don't know. He's good at everything really. Although my serve's pretty good, as well. I don't know. They're a little bit different. But we both serve well.

Q. You say Andy is good at everything. What is the best thing about your game that Andy has to look out for?

JOHN ISNER: Obviously my serve. And I think my forehand's coming along, hitting that well, forcing the issue with that. I think he's gonna have to ‑‑ hopefully he's gonna have to hit a lot of passing shots. That's going to be my game plan: try to get into the net, make him pass me. He's one of the game's greatest ‑‑ he has a really good passing shot. Hopefully I can make him do that.

Q. What is it like playing someone like Monfils who chases balls down, pumps the crowd up? Is that a bit of a distraction?

JOHN ISNER: No. I actually enjoy it. There was a moment in the fourth set when we were both down a little bit on energy. He would get the crowd up. That would kind of pick my energy up, too.

That was the fourth time I played him. I know what to expect. That's how he plays. He plays on momentum and he feeds off the crowd. That wasn't anything out of the ordinary out there today.

ao.com

#16 24-01-2010 12:09:42

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Konferencja po przegranym meczu 4r AO10:

An interview with:
JOHN ISNER

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What is it about Murray that makes him difficult?

JOHN ISNER: I knew going in that he can pretty much do a lot. He can play offense, he can play defense. That's what he does well: he mixes it up.

I think he did that today. You know, kind of wasn't hitting a real big ball out there. Kind of just dinking and dunking it around the court. And I felt like I wasn't able to, you know, get a good rip at the ball a lot of the time because of what he was doing with it.

Obviously, he returns well and he retrieves so well. Kind of broke me down.

Q. Is that something you have to be wary of, change your game? Do you have just one speed?

JOHN ISNER: Do I have one speed?

Q. Yes.

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I like to attack. I'm not gonna do what he does out there, just kind of wait for the other guy to miss. That's not how I play. My game is to attack, come into the net. You know, although I didn't play badly, I felt like I could have played better today, given him a better run for his money.

Q. Do you think you came in enough?

JOHN ISNER: Probably not. I talked to my coach about that. But probably should have come in more and kind of forced the issue more.

Q. You had a set point in the first set. Didn't convert. Do you feel if one or two of those had gone your way, maybe it would be a different match?

JOHN ISNER: Uhm, yeah. That set point, I had a forehand that I wanted, and I went for it like I should, and I missed it, you know, pretty close. If you win that set, that's 7‑5. It's a completely different match from that point on, even if he wins the second set. Even if he wins the next two sets after that, I'm still in it, whereas I wasn't. I was shaking his hand after three sets.

Uhm, I felt like my level, if I could have taken it to a fourth, you know, had I won that set, the fourth set, third, fourth sets I would have been playing better, but it wasn't to be.

Q. How did you feel physically out there?

JOHN ISNER: I felt all right. I was a little bit tired. Just comes with playing a lot of matches. But that didn't prevent me from ‑‑ that wasn't the reason why I lost.

Q. Looking forward, what do you take out of time over here?

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I mean, this is a great start to the year. Obviously, I would have liked to have kept on going in this tournament, in the big one. But I won my first ATP tournament last week. To make the final 16 here, I won eight matches in a row at this level. It's a great accomplishment. I know that if I can continue that, this type of consistency, my ranking is going to continue to, you know, climb.

So I'm going to take away from this trip ‑‑ I'm going to be really confident going back home, where I like to play in the States, play a couple indoor tournaments. You know, there's probably about three, four tournaments back home in the States that I think I can do really well in.

Q. What about Wimbledon? Will the grass suit you?

JOHN ISNER: You know, I played in it two years ago. I didn't play it last year. I had trouble with it two years ago. Never in my life stepped foot on a grass court up until Wimbledon. That's still only one time.

But I have the right coach in my corner to learn how to play on grass. It's definitely a different game. It should suit me well, as long as I can grasp the concept of how to play on it.

Q. Your results are improving. You're playing the elite players more frequently. What do you feel like is still missing in your game to get to that level?

JOHN ISNER: I would have to say, like I know I can play with anybody. I can probably get a little bit fitter. I'm a lot fitter now than I was last year. And I'm gonna continue to work on that. I mean, just to see how kind of fit Andy Murray is, is kind of something to strive for.

I think for me actually, personally, a guy I kind of look up to is Andy Roddick, how fit he is, how hard he works. If he want to get up to his level, close to his level, I'm going to have to work as hard as he does. Those guys in the top five, six in the world are all so fit. Maybe that's what separates them.

Q. Do you have Davis Cup ambitions?

JOHN ISNER: If I'm selected to play, I'm going to go.

Q. You're probably playing your best ever tennis. That makes Andy's result even better that he managed to beat you in straight sets. Do you think you lost to the finalist or this year's champion?

JOHN ISNER: I don't want to make any predictions like that. I don't know what he said, or how he feels, but I feel like he played pretty well. Got to a lot of balls. That game he broke me in the third set was insane, the shots he hit there.

He's a good frontrunner, as well. To get down two sets to love is tough against him. My chance was that first set and I missed it. But, you know, he's definitely got a good shot to go all the way here.

Q. When we first ran into you, you were just out of college. You didn't really know where you fit in tennis, I guess. What's the difference now between that young John Isner and the professional tennis player now?

JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I mean, I was, you know, kind of living in my college days back then. I was riding high on confidence in 2007 after winning a lot in college. I did really well really early. Then I kind of regressed in 2008, which is not unusual. I kind of got ahead of my learning curve.

Now I'm more professional about things. I know that I can make a living, and make a really, really nice living playing tennis. So I'm going to work hard, as hard as I possibly can, and know that, you know, this is my career for the next 10 years. I'm not going to waste any opportunity.

Q. You had Steve Smith back today watching you and also you had T.O. Is that part of the same group?

JOHN ISNER: No, just Steve.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 67984.html

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#17 16-03-2010 12:39:17

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

http://johnisnertennis.com/

Strona internetowa zawodnika, z tego co widzę jeszcze tu nie było tego adresu.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#18 13-05-2010 19:34:58

Serenity

User

Iron Man Isner’s Race Against The Clock

A routine trip from Belgrade to Madrid became a 21-hour ordeal for American John Isner, as he dealt with the effects of volcanic ash, lost luggage and an unsympathetic train conductor en route to his first-round match in the Spanish capital.

In a span of eight days, beginning last Thursday in Belgrade, American John Isner has played nine matches, reached a career-high No. 19 South African Airways ATP Ranking and successfully raced against the clock despite the travel delays caused by the Eyjafjallajoekull volcano in Iceland.

Following a narrow loss to doubles partner and countryman Sam Querrey in the Serbia Open final the prior evening, Isner and coach Craig Boynton got on a noon flight Monday to make a routine journey from Belgrade to Madrid via a stopover in Frankfurt.

But minutes from boarding their connecting flight in Germany, they received news that it had been cancelled; the Madrid airport had been shut down due to the volcanic ash cloud. Querrey, meanwhile, had made it safely to the Spanish capital on an earlier flight. “The last to make it to Madrid,” said Isner. “That’s pretty lucky.”

Watch Madrid Live Online

Aware that he was scheduled to play his first-round match at the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open the following day, Isner and his coach placed a call to ATP staff at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament to inform them of their situation – earning Isner a late start of 5pm Tuesday – and weighed their options to ensure they made it in time.

“We really had no options,” said the 25 year old. “The nine o’clock flight to Madrid was sold out, so that wasn’t really an option, but we don’t know if that one went off either. We had to go wait in this line for about two-and-a-half hours, couldn’t really do anything. We could’ve stayed in Frankfurt and taken an 8am flight to Madrid, but then again there was no guarantee that the airport was going to be open. If we stayed there and took the morning flight and it would’ve been closed, I wouldn’t have been able to play my match.”

After much deliberation, they booked a 9:30pm flight from Frankfurt to Barcelona to get closer to their destination. Upon their arrival in Spain, they were again delayed when they discovered the coach’s bags had gone missing. “It was a disaster,” said Isner. By the time they had a cab driver take them to a hotel and got to bed, it was already 1:30am.

They woke up four short hours later, getting on a 6:15am train to begin the last leg of their journey to Madrid. Though Isner tried to catch up on his sleep on the two-hour, 45-minute trip, he was continually interrupted by an unsympathetic train conductor.

“There was no one in the seat in front of me, and I kept putting my feet up,” said the 6’ 9” Isner. “Even when I was falling asleep he would wake me up and tell me to take my feet off.”

Just hours removed from a long and exhausting journey, the sleep-deprived Isner stepped on the court at the Caja Magica and pulled off a 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 win over Christophe Rochus.

On Wednesday, he came within two points of defeat at 6-6 in a second-set tie-break against Colombian qualifier Santiago Giraldo, but rallied for the victory. He then teamed up with Querrey, currently the No. 5 team in the 2010 ATP Doubles Team Rankings, to take out Brazilians Thomaz Bellucci and Bruno Soares 2-6, 7-5, 10-8.

“I’m a bit tired,” Isner told ATPWorldTour.com after settling into his hotel room past 11pm Wednesday. “I won yesterday in three sets. I won today in three sets. I won a doubles match in three sets. I’m really, really tired. But I think if I can sleep well tonight, then I’ll be fine for tomorrow.”

Isner will need to be fully rested for a busy Thursday in Madrid. The American confronts Rafael Nadal for a place in the Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open quarter-finals, and afterwards joins Querrey in doubles action against No. 6 seeds Lukasz Kubot and Oliver Marach.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … adrid.aspx

#19 24-05-2010 20:24:17

Serenity

User

RG 2010 - wywiad z Johnem po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

Q. Seemed pretty routine out there. Are you really getting your clay feet here. What's going on?
JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I played a good amount of clay court tennis prior to this event. And although I played five weeks in a row, it's not as bad as it sounds.
Last week I took it pretty easy and made sure I rested a good bit and relaxed last week, and so I felt pretty fresh coming into here, coming into today. I thought I played exceptionally well.

Q. A lot is made obviously about the American struggles on clay. Now it seems like you and Sam have been handed the hopes of people as maybe you guys can break through. What's your take on the struggles in general, and the way and you Sam have been able to show only pretty good results?
JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I mean, obviously historically Americans don't do that great here or over the last ten years or eight years or whatever but I think it's something that we're getting better at.
I think there's a lot of Americans in the main draw. There's a few that qualified. We got a bunch that got directly accepted. I think we're definitely getting better on clay.
It's not our best surface per se; that's probably hardcourt. But I think three, four, five people even have the ability of making to the second week.

Q. Am I right in assuming you put yourself in that group?
JOHN ISNER: Yeah.

Q. When you come to the clay, are there adjustments you make to your game, or do you feel like, I'm gonna play my style of play?
JOHN ISNER: A little bit of adjustments. Not too much. Maybe on the return of serve I move a foot back further than I would on a hardcourt.
But for the most part, I'm gonna play my game. That's obviously serve big, serve and volley a good bit, and try to end points with my forehand. So it's pretty much the same concept.
I think the clay just gives me more time to move around in the back and, you know, play better I mean, and play defense, which I think I did that today. I won a couple key points from behind, and that's what the clay allows you to do.

Q. Does the clay also give a higher bounce that helps you?
JOHN ISNER: Without a doubt. The ball, you know, especially when you're playing guys that hit topspin the guy I played today, he hit some balls that were good shots, but I found them right in my strike zone, you know, shoulder high. That's where I want it. So I was able to kind of get down on the ball.
You know, I enjoy playing on the clay.

Q. I mean, you and Sam have come over to Europe and last couple years played a lot. Sam made the quarters in Monte Carlo couple years ago, so it seems like there's an effort to really try to improve and play better on clay and come over a little bit earlier than some other guys. Is there any sense you have sort among your peers that maybe, okay, the Americans, this generation, they're not such a walkover on clay, that you have a little bit of swagger now?
JOHN ISNER: I think without a doubt. I mean, especially with Sam and myself. We played in a clay court final in Europe, albeit a few weeks back, so people definitely know that both myself and Sam can play on this surface.
I think really of all the Americans we've played the most on it. We decided to come over here for the long haul. This is our fifth week. I think it's gonna pay dividends at this tournament.
Like I said, we're both big guys and should hold our serve a lot no matter the surface. The clay just gives us more time, and the ball sits up in our strike zone.

Q. How much do you pay attention to the results of other American players? Do you have any idea like with Taylor today?
JOHN ISNER: Yeah, I know he won. I saw like his match point on the TV in the locker room, which is great. You know, I'll pay attention a little bit tomorrow with Sam and Robby. That's gonna be a good match.
But I would really I won't look too much into it. I'll check the scores every once in a while. Obviously I want as many Americans a possible into the second round.

Q. What has to change in your eyes to get your generation and younger generations good on clay again the way the Agassis and Changs and Couriers were 20 years ago?
JOHN ISNER: I don't know if you're asking the right person that question. I can't tell you. I don't know.
I mean, I took a different path to here. I mean, I went to college and didn't play on a clay court for like five years. I found it to be pretty natural transition. I think the USTA is trying to get some younger players over practicing in Spain or whatnot on clay.
Just the more practice you get over here on this surface, the better you're gonna be. Gonna make you better on all surfaces.

Q. I'm trying to remember what you said at the Australian Open. Did you say you only came here once or only played one match here before last year or something?
JOHN ISNER: Yeah. I didn't play last year, so 2008 was my first year playing here.

Q. If you ended up trying to tailor your game, or if Americans did, would that not negatively effect how they play on the other hardcourts or anything?
JOHN ISNER: No, I disagree. Practicing on clay, even in the hardcourt season which I sometimes do is great. It makes your legs stronger. You're seeing more balls. The points aren't as quick.
I think practicing on clay is it's not a disadvantage at all. If anything, it's gonna help you on every other surface.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/ … 47990.html

#20 26-05-2010 16:52:34

Serenity

User

Getting to know… John Isner

The lofty American is beginning to live up to his tag of “next big thing in American tennis” - in more ways than one.

Two weeks ago, John Isner squared off against compatriot Sam Querrey in the Belgrade singles final in what was the first European clay court title decider between two Americans since Jim Courier beat Andre Agassi for the French Open title in 1991. The occasion left tennis fans abuzz with talk of an American clay court tennis revival, and Isner, at the mature (tennis-wise, anyway) age of 25, bearing the “next big thing in American tennis” tag.

Hitting the heights
Big is right. The genial right-hander from North Carolina measures in at a lofty 6’10” – the kind of height that makes walking through the average door frame difficult and renders economy class travel out of the question.

That was not always the case though. Until the age of 17, Isner matched his two older brothers, Jordan and Nathan, at 6’3” tall. Then came the seven-inch growth spurt that left him towering over his entire family. He says he’s found ways to make his two-plus meters work for him over the years.

Maximising his assets
“Maybe when I’m at a concert or something (it’s inconvenient),” he chuckles, “But for what I do it’s an asset. I’m very big and I’ve got a lot of body so I’ve got to keep it healthy. I have the right coach in my corner (Craig Boynton) who’s helped me realise the type of game I need to play: short points and obviously my serve is a weapon.”

Finding his way
With a season-starting title at Auckland in January and runner-up finishes to Querrey at Memphis and Belgrade this year, Isner is indeed looking like a candidate for America’s next tennis idol. It’s a pretty remarkable achievement considering he only turned pro three years ago.

“When I finished high school I wasn’t good enough to go pro, not even close,” he says, explaining that everything changed when he led the University of Georgia to an NCAA title in 2007. “Only in my junior year – my third year in college - that’s when I realised that maybe I could make a living out of playing tennis.”

Keeping it real
The laid-back Florida resident believes that stumbling late upon his profession has helped him to maintain a sense of perspective about the sport.

“I was really mature when I first started playing,” he says. “You see a lot of kids of 17 or 18-years-old and they get beat up a lot and lose a lot of matches (when they turn pro) and their confidence goes completely down. That was never the case for me. I went out there playing pros with a lot of confidence because I’d won a lot in college, so it was a pretty easy transition.”

This calm, unruffled air is one Isner continues to carry with him in this, his third year on the ATP World Tour. “I don’t really set too much in terms of expectations for myself,” he says. “I know what I’m capable of, I know I can get to the second week here (in Paris) and maybe beyond, but if it doesn’t happen, so be it. I will play this event a few more times in my career.”

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/ … 93818.html

Stopka forum

RSS