mtenis.pun.pl - forum fanów tenisa ATP

Ogłoszenie

Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#121 24-10-2010 23:23:07

jaccol55

Administrator

Re: Lleyton Hewitt

HEWITT FAMILY WELCOMES BABY DAUGHTER

Lleyton Hewitt and wife Bec announced the arrival of their third child this week, a daughter born on 19 October in Sydney, Australia.

Hewitt confirmed the newest addition Saturday, writing to his text subscribers: "Bec, Mia, Cruz and I welcomed a beautiful baby girl into our family last Tuesday. Mum and baby are great! Dad, big sister and brother elated."

The Hewitts wed in July 2005 and welcomed their first daughter, Mia, later that year. They had their second child, son Cruz, in December 2008. They will announce the name of their new baby via text message later this week.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … ghter.aspx

Graty.

#122 13-11-2010 00:41:57

jaccol55

Administrator

McEnroe believes Hewitt could be a spent force

John McEnroe just can't miss the chance to pass an opinion, and his visit to Sydney for a senior event seemed the perfect time to comment on the decline and fall of Lleyton Hewitt.

The the former No. 1, now aged 29 and veteran of two hip surgeries and a hand injury which has kept him idle since September, is hoping to kick-start 2011 at the Hopman Cup in Perth. But his No. 56 ranking will only make life more frustrating for the two-time Grand Slam winner.

Mac believes that despite best efforts and a will to struggle, Hewitt's glory days are in the rearview mirror. "At this point, to expect him to win a major would be asking too much of him," said the 51-year-old American, winner of seven majors before his retirement in 1992 at age 32. "I'd hope he'd be healthy enough to be a contender on some level.

"And if he's happy being a quarter-finalist at a major, it will be interesting to see how much longer he wants to go on. I'm sure he's not the type of person that is happy being 56 in the world.

"Maybe deep down in his soul he believes he can still do it. If that's the case, he has every right to keep trying. The reason he was a champion is because he believed in himself when other people maybe didn't."

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … pent_force

#123 26-11-2010 18:39:39

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Tony Roche nowym trenerem Hewitta.

Roche to coach Lleyton Hewitt

Lleyton Hewitt will join forces for the second time in his career with coach Tony Roche in an effort to lift his flagging world ranking.

The two-time grand slam-winner is training after an injury layoff and announced Friday he will re-unite with Roche in 2011.

Roche previously coached Hewitt between July 2007 and August 2009 and was last month re-appointed Australian Davis Cup coach under new captain Pat Rafter.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Hewitt said he would have Roche as his main coach but would work also with former player Josh Eagle.

"I'm really looking forward to working with both guys and feel that if I can keep the body performing then I can climb back up the ranks again," said Hewitt, who has slid to No.55 in the rankings.

"I have been discussing this with Rochey for a few months now prior to him accepting the job as Australian Davis Cup coach, and when he asked me about taking that role with Pat, I thought that would work in well with what we were planning for myself."

Roche said Hewitt was still a "feared player" despite his slide down the rankings and eight years since his last grand slam title win.

"He is constantly working on his game to improve, which is always a good sign that his focus and desire is still there," Roche said.

"He is a hard worker on and off the court, and Josh and I believe he can return to the top with some good results."

Hewitt is back on court hitting and building towards the Australian summer after a hand injury forced him off the tour in September.

"If the past week is any indication, the body is feeling good, the mind is fresh and by January I will be ready to go for my 15th year on the Tour," Hewitt said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp … 18ah3.html

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#124 08-12-2010 00:35:06

Art

User

Hewitt back in his training comfort zone with Roche

Lleyton Hewitt is back on the practise court after sitting out with a hand injury since late September, with the 29-year-old optimistic about his chances to start 2011 in winning style prior to the Australian Open.

The one-time No. 1 will play for the first time at the eight-man AAMI Classic at Melbourne's Kooyong club, with fences finally mended after years of on-again, off-again feuding with organiser Colin Stubs, once the Aussie Open tournament director. That event comes the week after the Hopman Cup mixed teams event where Hewitt will also appear.

Hewitt ignored the past as he praised Kooyong, where he will make final Open tune-up preparations the week before the start of the season's first major. "I'm back hitting the ball again so it's all good," said Hewitt, back with former coach Tony Roche as the pair seek to turn back the clock on both their careers.

"It took a couple of weeks to get back in the rhythm of hitting again. I've done some fitness training before I actually got on the court, which held me in good stead to be able to go out there and train with Rochey and do the hard yards again."

Hewitt called his former Davis Cup coach and long-ago mentor to Ivan Lendl "a big part of my life, on and off the court. I respect him, what he has got to say, always. He's one of the greatest coaches out there, so I'm privileged to have him in my corner." Roche will serve as Davis Cup coach again a decade after he last held the job under the new Patrick Rafter regime.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … with_Roche

#125 08-12-2010 00:36:57

Art

User

It's not over yet for Lleyton Hewitt

A DANGEROUSLY fit looking Lleyton Hewitt yesterday scuttled talk he would retire after next month's Australian Open.

Hewitt, 29, the father of three children under the age of six who has reunited with coach Tony Roche, again said he would bow out on his terms.

And the former world champion is determined not to leave the sport until he has returned to the top 10 of world tennis.

He is ranked No. 54 after hip and knee surgery and a season-ending hand injury.

"This Open won't be my last," he said. at Kooyong.

"With the injuries and small setbacks I have had, retirement goes through your mind a bit more because you never know what is absolutely around the corner.

"The fortunate thing about tennis is I can retire on my terms pretty much unless injury dictates I can't go out there.

"It's not so much like a team sport where you have your coach making the decision.

"I still feel I am playing my best tennis.

He said he and Roche were concentrating on his fitness and service game.

"He's one of the greatest coaches out there so I'm extremely privileged to have him in my corner," he said. "He's a great thinker of the game."

Hewitt said he had played well at Wimbledon after hip and knee surgery and had competed against the best.

His 2010 highlight was a win over world No. 2 Roger Federer in the final at Halle final in June, ending a 15-match losing streak to the Swiss star.

The win had proved he still had what it takes to tackle the best players.

He will contest the Hopman Cup in Perth from January 1 before tackling the AAMI Classic at Kooyong from January 12-15.

"If I play a full year I would like to finish in the Masters Cup (Barclay's ATP World Tour Final)," he said.

"If I do what I think I'm capable of doing, it's a realistic goal."

Hewitt is the only Australian entrant at the AAMI Classic.

He said competing in the Classic for the first time was all about the best preparation for another tilt at the elusive Australian Open.

"It's about trying something different," he said. "It could be the right preparation for me."

"The Hopman Cup and coming to Kooyong I'm guaranteed at least three matches in both events, if not four."

"That gives me great preparation, for the Open.

Defending champion Fernando Verdasco, Wimbledon finalist Tomas Berdych, Mikhail Youzhny, Gael Monfils, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Hewitt were yesterday joined in the Classic by Nikolay Davydenko and Jurgen Melzer.

He said a "fresh approach" could finally deliver an elusive Australian Open crown next month.

Hewitt will join the eight-man field, led by Czech world No.5 Tomas Berdych, at the Kooyong Classic in Melbourne for the first time in his 15-year professional career as he prepares for the grand slam.

Austrian world No.11 Jurgen Melzer and No.22 Russian Nikolay Davydenko were announced on Monday as the final two entries.

said."I spoke to Rochey (coach Tony Roche) and we came up with the idea of a fresh start after the injuries and the longer lay-off, it could be the right preparation for me."

The father of three will turn 30 in February but says he has no plans to retire any time soon.

He declared that win or lose, the 2011 Australian Open wouldn't be his last.

"This won't be my last but I don't have a number," said the former US Open and Wimbledon champion.

"The injuries I've had and the small set-backs with those, it probably goes through your mind a little bit more because you never know what's absolutely around the corner.

"But the fortunate thing about tennis is that I can retire on my terms.

"But I still feel when I play my best tennis ... I'm able to compete against the best guys."

Hewitt said his June tournament win at Halle over Roger Federer, which snapped a 15-match losing streak against the Swiss, was "huge" and proved he still had what it took.

"If I play a full year I'd like to finish in the Masters Cup," said Hewitt when asked of his 2011 ambitions.

"That would be a realistic goal but it's not something I'm focused on, ranking points, and I won't go chasing small tournaments to get in there.

"But if I do what I think I'm capable of in the bigger tournaments and especially the grand slams than I think it's a realistic goal."

Another big part of Hewitt's new start is the re-appointment of his former coach Roche, who also coached former world No.1 Federer.

Hewitt said they were focused on fitness, as well as his service game.

"He's one of the greatest coaches out there so I'm extremely privileged to have him in my corner.

"He's a great thinker of the game."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/its-n … 5966609306

#126 09-12-2010 01:51:53

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

2010 w liczbach

Bilans spotkań: 22-12
Ranking: 54
Tytuły: 1
Finały: 0
Zarobki: $531,666

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#127 15-12-2010 20:39:03

jaccol55

Administrator

Hewitt taking aim at 2011 ATP goals

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/1889.jpg

Australian No. 54 Lleyton Hewitt will be nothing if not refreshed after not playing since September, with the world's former top player bidding for a modest comeback for the 2011 season, which begins for him in just over a fortnight.

The 29-year-old will lineup at the Hopman Cup mixed team event in Perth from New Year's Day alongside teammate Alicia Molik, another comeback candidate. Hewitt will then fine-tune for the Australian Open as he plays the week before the January 17 start of the major at the AAMI Classic at Melbourne's Kooyong Club.

Hewitt, who has undergone two hip surgeries and has recovered from a hand injury suffered during September Davis Cup play, is confident that his renewed coaching collaboration with longtime mentor Tony Roche will help pave the way for an ATP fightback.

"Obviously not playing matches toward the end of this year, at least playing the Hopman Cup and coming here to Kooyong, I'm definitely guaranteed at least three matches in both events, if not four," said two-time Grand Slam winner Hewitt.

"My program gives me great preparation for the Australian Open. I spoke to Rochey and we came up with the idea of a fresh start after the injuries and the longer lay-off, it could be the right preparation for me."

The father of three including a child born only weeks ago, would like to somehow rise into the ranking Top eight for 2011 and qualify for the season-ending World Tour Finals in London. "That would be a realistic goal but it's not something I'm focused on, ranking points, and I won't go chasing small tournaments to get in there. But if I do what I think I'm capable of in the bigger tournaments and especially the grand slams than I think it's a realistic goal."

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … _ATP_goals

#128 29-12-2010 12:40:03

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Lleyton Hewitt still a danger, insists Andy Roddick

ANDY Roddick says Lleyton Hewitt is anything but a spent force as both former world No.1s strive to rebound from disheartening ends to 2010.

A refreshed and renewed Roddick officially began preparations from next month's Australian Open with an hour-long hit at Pat Rafter Arena on Tuesday, where next week he'll attempt to defend his Brisbane International title.

At the same time, Hewitt will make his long-awaited comeback from a broken hand by teaming with Alicia Molik in the Hopman Cup in Perth.

Hewitt's injury, sustained in Australia's gut-wrenching 3-2 Davis Cup world group play-off loss to Belgium in September, has seen the 29-year-old drop to 54th on the world rankings after starting the year at No.22.

But Roddick firmly believes Hewitt still has what it takes and can again return to the top-10, so long as his body holds up.

"Lleyton is always a champ,'' the Texan said.

"With him it's health at this point. There's no question whenever he's been able to put together six, seven, eight healthy months he's put together some goods results.

"The last two years probably been the best of his career so far but if he's healthy and motivated he knows how to win tennis matches.

"Those intangibles are something that only a few guys have and he certainly has them.''

Like Hewitt, Roddick has plenty to prove to himself after an illness-wrecked season which originally promised much after title wins in Brisbane and Miami.

The world No.8 crashed out early in the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open but a case of the energy-sapping disease mononucleosis explained his loss of form.

"For me it's just a matter of getting right, getting healthy - I battled sickness for a big part of last year and from there I just felt like I was playing catch-up,'' he said.

"You train hard and you get hurt in training coming back. You don't train you rest and you try and come back and your body is not right and it shows.

"I think it's the first time I've felt right since last May so when you are fit it takes a lot of the mental pressure off.

"You feel like you can play any way you want so I feel fresh and I feel enthused and ready.''

Having worked overtime in the off-season, Roddick felt Brisbane could again propel him up the rankings after beating Czech Radek Stepanek to win last year's final.

"I came in last year and hadn't been playing much so this was a really good springboard into the year for me,'' he said, adding it was the best preparation for Melbourne Park.

"I like being in the same country but also I like this event - my wife enjoys coming here so let's not pretend I make any decisions.''

He will start as the second seed behind world No.4 Swede Robin Soderling when the tournament starts on Sunday, but is pleased Rafter Arena has included Hawk-Eye for the first time after being a critic of its absence in 2010.

"It will keep me out of trouble,'' Roddick said.

Tournament organisers delayed naming the contentious third and final men's wildcard on Tuesday, making young gun Bernard Tomic sweat a little longer while Melbourne teenager Sally Peers received the third women's wildcard behind Jelena Dokic and Sophie Ferguson.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tenni … 5978121245

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#129 29-12-2010 19:29:37

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Hewitt aims for third-time lucky at Hopman Cup

http://tennistalk.com/images/article/1682.jpg

Lleyton Hewitt is counting on third time lucky as he prepares to carry the flag for host Australia during the weekend start of the eight-nation Hopman Cup mixed team event with former coach Tony Roche in his corner.

Hewitt, once a world No.1 now languishing on 54th after two hip surgeries, is teamed with another old campaigner in Alicia Molik at the Burswood Dome, where play begins at the weekend. Hewitt has never gotten Australia out of the group stage in Perth, but is hoping that his third consecutive appearance at the pre-Australian Open event might do the trick.

He and Roche worked together from 2007 to 2009 before a mutual decision to split. But the pair of Aussie are rolling back the years in another pupil-coach effort.

Australia are paired in a group which also includes Serbia, headed by world No. 3 Novak Djokovic and former women's No. 1 Ana Ivanovic. "Hewitt plays Djokovic and the question is, where's he at," said tournament director Paul McNamee, "I know Lleyton is really looking forward to that match, he wanted
Novak in his group." McNamee also praised the return of Roche. "With Rochey, it's a serious appointment with an elder statesman. They won't be hanging out; it's business."

Also in the field, Scot Andy Murray (with Laura Robson) and American John Isner, the marathon man of Wimbledon who will play alongside Melanie Oudin. Isner was starting a mid-week journey which would take him from the snow-bound eastern US to Australia by way of New Zealand.

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20101229/ … Hopman_Cup

#130 01-01-2011 00:27:32

Serenity

User

His first win in seven years against Roger Federer has Lleyton Hewitt pumped

But when the Australian says no rival will be better prepared for this season than him, few would argue.

And Hewitt, 29, has his sights firmly on a 15th Australian Open in Melbourne in a fortnight.

"I've had no interruptions this year," he said. "When you train extremely hard . . . sometimes you get some little niggles and you have to take a couple of days off here or there, but this year there has been none of that.

"I've been (training) at least six days a week, sometimes seven, going as hard as I can.

"Personally, I don't feel there is anyone out there who has trained as hard as I have in the last two months."

Hewitt's season begins today in Perth when Australia plays Belgium in the Hopman Cup.

In the past three seasons, the dual grand slam winner's body has betrayed him several times.

He had operations on the hip problems that slowed his stride, then had some minor surgery on a knee.

But a recent wrist injury may have proved a blessing in disguise.

However, it was dire for Australian tennis at the time because it forced him to withdraw from the second singles rubber in a Davis Cup playoff that would have seen Australia return to the world group.

But the wrist problem did not hinder his general fitness in the manner the other lay-offs did.

Yet Hewitt's absence again underlined his status as our only true world-class player.

"I've mixed it up a lot. Obviously I still do a lot of the sand hills and a lot of stair work, agility stuff and sprints," he said.

"It's been a whole range of different stuff; a lot of AFL kind of drills this year as well.

"I feel like I've be able to mix it up really well and, sort of in the last week and a half, taper off and do quick reaction stuff, which isn't quite as grinding on your body physically and mentally. But believe me, the first five or six weeks were bloody tough."

Hewitt's ranking has again slid given his absence from the tour _ it's 54 _ but it is not hard to see why the Australian has reason for optimism, particularly given he has resumed working with coach Tony Roche.

Australia's greatest Davis Cup player believes he can still get better. His first victory over Roger Federer in seven years in Germany in June proved he could still beat the best, he counters.

"The pleasing thing for me was that Roger on grass is a really tough player to beat any time of the year, especially in Halle where I'm not actually sure if he's ever lost there before that, so he had a great run going there," Hewitt said. "So, to beat a guy like Roger in the final of a tournament as well, after I lost so many matches to him, gave me a lot of confidence.

"It doesn't matter how small the tournament is, when a great player gets in the final of a tournament, they want to win it."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp … 5979640333

#131 01-01-2011 00:28:52

Serenity

User

Hewitt training harder than anyone

LLEYTON Hewitt on Friday claimed a vital Hopman Cup edge, insisting he has trained harder than any other player in the world during the past two months.

Sidelined since September with a hand injury, and the winner of only two matches since Wimbledon in July, Hewitt resumes his career in Australia's opening-round match against Belgium at Burswood.

Hewitt has been powerless to arrest a ranking slide, he now sits at an unbecoming 54th in the world, but he has used the down time to rebuild fitness.

"There've been no interruptions this year," he said.

"When you train extremely hard, as I have this year, sometimes you get little niggles throughout and you have to have a couple of days off here and there.

"This year, there's been none of that.

"I've been (training) at least six days a week, some seven days, going as hard as I can.

"Personally, I don't feel there's anyone else out there who's trained as hard as I have the last two months.

"Where my body's at for a 29-year-old at the moment, I feel good."

The 2011 pre-season is a far cry from the 2010 version when the former world No. 1 injured a hip during his first training session at the Hopman Cup and was forced to have surgery after the Australian Open.

The Wimbledon and US Open winner opens the new year today against Belgian Ruben Bemelmans as Alicia Molik prepares to face Justine Henin.

Hewitt is guaranteed at least three matches in Perth, including what is certain to be an illuminating clash with Serb Novak Djokovic on Tuesday.

It will be in the heat of battle that Hewitt will earn a better understanding of the value of the gruelling cross-training he has undergone with Nathan Martin and coach Tony Roche.

"I feel good. I had a bit longer off than what I would have liked, (but) I'm happy with where my body is at at the moment," he said.

"For me, that's the most important thing.

"If I feel confident and know I've done all the hard work, I can go out there and hopefully execute what I've been working on.

"I'm not going to let everybody know what I've been doing, but there's a few different things.

"I've mixed it up a lot. A lot of the sandhills, a lot of stairwork, agility stuff, sprints - it's been a whole range of different stuff, a lot of AFL kind of stuff this year, as well.

"The last week or so, tapered off and done a lot more quick reaction stuff, which isn't quite as grinding on your body, physically and mentally.

"Believe me, the first five or six weeks were bloody tough."

Asked why, at the age of almost 30, he was prepared to submit his battered body to such rigours, Hewitt said: "I still think I can get better.

"As long as the motivation is there and I want to go out there and compete and become a better player, I'll do it until it's not there anymore I guess."

And with watershed victory over nemesis Roger Federer in Halle final in June, Hewitt's ambitions are familiarly lofty.

"It's always grand slams," he said. "The ranking takes care of itself.

"If I'm able to play a full calendar year, the majority of the tournaments I want to play, and do well and play to the best of my ability, the ranking will be up there anyway.

"The focus for me is making a schedule that best prepares me for the four majors and I think, at the moment, I've done that.

"For me, it's going out there and competing.

"My main focus is obviously the Australian Open in a couple of weeks time.

"Between here at the Hopman Cup and next week in Kooyong, I am guaranteed six bloody tough matches and that's exactly what I need at the moment.

Hopman Cup teams

GROUP A

- Serbia: Ana Ivanovic, Novak Djokovic

- Belgium: Justine Henin, Ruben Bemelmans

- Australia: Alicia Molik, Lleyton Hewitt

- Kazakhstan: Yaroslava Shvedova, Andrey Golubev

GROUP B

- Great Britain: Laura Robson, Andy Murray

- Italy: Francesca Schiavone, Potito Starace

- France: Kristina Mladenovic, Nicolas Mahut

- US: Bethanie Mattek-Sands, John Isner

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/hew … 5979602986

#132 01-01-2011 00:30:01

Serenity

User

Hewitt confident hard pre-season will pay off

AUSTRALIAN tennis veteran Lleyton Hewitt is confident a career-best pre-season has him primed for a charge on the 2011 grand slam circuit.

Hewitt will team up with Alicia Molik in tomorrow's Hyundai Hopman Cup opener, where Australia will take on Belgium.

The tie is an ironic one for Hewitt, whose first match back from an injury layoff will be against the last man he played - Ruben Bemelmans.

Hewitt said he felt refreshed after a solid build-up and was confident his immediate injury woes were behind him.

"(My pre-season) has been good, we've had no interruptions this year," Hewitt said.

"When you train extremely hard, I feel like there's sometimes you get little niggles throughout and you've got to have a few days off here and there.

"This year there's been none of that, I've been six days a week, sometimes even seven days a week, going as hard as I can.

"Personally, I don't feel like there's anybody out there who's trained as hard as I have these past two months.

"So, where my body's at the moment, for a 29-year-old, I feel pretty good."

2010 was a rollercoaster year for Hewitt, who injured his hip in his season-opening tournament, the Hopman Cup, forcing him to undergo surgery after the Australian Open.

The former world No. 1 was then plagued by a knee injury before recovering and stunning arguably the greatest player of all-time, Roger Federer, at the Halle Open.

But the celebrations were short lived as Hewitt was felled again, injuring his hand in Australia's Davis Cup clash with Belgium in September.

A defiant Hewitt said he had taken confidence from his win over Federer and was targeted strong performances in the grand slams for the upcoming year.
"It gave me huge confidence beating Roger, he's one of the benchmarks out there - he and Rafa (Rafael Nadal)," Hewitt said.

"They're the two best players, have been for quite a while now, and you've got to keep up with those guys and the pleasing thing for me was that Roger on grass is a really tough player to beat at any time of year - especially in Halle, where I'm not sure he's ever lost there before," he said.

"To beat a guy like Roger in the final of a tournament after I'd lost so many matches to him, that gave me a lot of confidence.

"It doesn't matter how small the tournament is, when a great player gets in the final of a tournament, they want to win it.

"(My focus) is always grand slams, the ranking will take care of itself.

"If I can go out there and play a full calendar year, play the majority of the tournaments I want to play and do well, to the best of my ability, then my ranking will be up there anyway.

"The focus for me is always making a schedule that best prepares me for the four majors and I think at the moment I've done that."

Hewitt's campaign will receive a boost this year with the input of long-time mentor Tony Roche and the Hopman Cup will launch the competitive reunion of the grinder and the coaching maestro after the pair made a mutual decision to end their 2007-2009 partnership.

Hewitt said he was confident having Roche in his corner would lead to a strong year.

"We have a great respect for each other and that's one of the most important things," he said.

"I respect everything Rochie has to say, both on and off the court, and we get along extremely well.

"Every time we go on court, there's a purpose. I don't think we spend one minute on the practice court going through the motions.

"He's certainly a tough taskmaster but I think he can bring out the best in my game.

"It's not like it's going to come together overnight and practice is always different from going out there and doing it under pressure in matches, but I feel like he's the right person to have in my corner."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/tennis … 5979491767

#133 01-01-2011 15:58:24

jaccol55

Administrator

Hewitt happy with his tough fitness regime

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/1889.jpg

Lleyton Hewit has pulled up fit and pleased with what he calls an uninterrupted spell of training after last getting onto a court in September and suffering an elbow injury in Davis Cup.

But the 29-year-old is not giving anyway secrets as he prepared to lead Australia and the Hopman Cup mixed team event.

"I'm not going to let everyone know what I've been doing. There are a few different things that I've been doing out there," said the one-time No. 1. "I've mixed it up a lot. Obviously I still do a lot of the sand hills and a lot of stair work, agility stuff and sprints.

"It's been a whole range of different stuff; a lot of AFL (football) drills this year as well. I feel like I've be able to mix it up really well and in the last week and a half, taper off and do quick reaction stuff. But believe me, the first five or six weeks were bloody tough."

Hewitt and Alicia Molik will be trying to lift the first home title for Australia since the hosts took their only honour in 1999. Two-time Grand Slam champion Hewitt is hoping to be free of all niggles after his two hip surgeries over past seasons.

"It's been good. I've had no interruptions this year. I've been at least six days a week, sometimes seven days a week, going as hard as I can. Personally I don't feel there is anyone out there who has trained as hard as I have in the last two months. I feel for where body is at the moment for a 29 year old, I feel pretty good."

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … ess_regime

#134 09-01-2011 13:20:33

jaccol55

Administrator

Lleyton Hewitt finding touch as fitness builds ahead of Australian Open

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/01/05/1225982/500989-tennis-aus-hopman.jpg

LLEYTON Hewitt has declared his Australian Open preparations on track despite a straight sets Hopman Cup hammering from Novak Djokovic.

Hewitt is cramming match fitness in Perth, the 6-2 6-4 loss to the world No.3 just his second singles match since returning from a serious hand injury.

The world No.54 displayed his trademark fighting qualities but was ultimately outclassed on Tuesday night as Serbia took the tie 3-0, ending any chance of Australia reaching the Hopman Cup final.

But the 29-year-old Australian said he was pleased with his individual progress ahead of a final group match against Kazakhstan tomorrow.

"It was probably exactly what I needed,'' Hewitt said of his clash with Djokovic.

"Second match up to play a quality player, he played as well as he could.

"My ball striking was right where I want it be at the moment, still a week-and-a-half out from the Aussie (Open).

"I was pretty happy with my movement.

"I haven't played three sets in any of my singles matches but so far the body's holding up pretty well.

"There were a couple of break opportunities, I could have been up a break in both sets.

"It was a big step up. I hit the ball a lot better than I did in my first match.

"He's just come off playing the tour finals in London against the best guys in the world and he played in the Davis Cup final as well, so he's match tough at the moment and playing those big points extremely well.''

Hewitt said Thursday's clash with world No.36 Andrey Golubev would be another important step in his preparation for the Australian Open.

"He's a great shot-maker. He's not going to be easy, he's going to go out there with an attitude of nothing to lose and be slapping balls around everywhere,'' Hewitt said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/austr … 5982501093

#135 11-01-2011 22:29:53

jaccol55

Administrator

Hewitt says he's ready for strong Aussie run

Lleyton Hewitt says despite not playing an ATP warm-up tournament before the Australian Open for the first time that he’s well prepared for a strong run. The former did play the Hopman Cup exhibition last week and will play an exhibition at Kooyong this week.

"I feel like I've done the hard yards," said 2005 Australian Open finalist. "There's no stone that's unturned for me, and I can go out there and know that I've had the best preparation possible for myself and my body. Obviously I won't be seeded next week, so [it's] a little bit in the hands of the gods where you get put in the draw, but I feel capable that I can go out there and cause some upsets."

http://www.tennis.com/articles/template … &zoneid=25

#136 12-01-2011 23:18:50

jaccol55

Administrator

Lleyton Hewitt's call on when to retire

KOOYONG'S old green grandstands were sparsely populated by the time Lleyton Hewitt celebrated his debut appearance at the AAMI Classic by defeating Russia's Mikhail Youzhny late.

But those who sat through a lengthy rain break and three sets of sometimes rusty, occasionally classy tennis spread over more than four hours were obviously pleased to see him, willing him to win with a mix of polite applause and a few wild whoops.

They were so clearly in his corner that Youzhny smilingly requested, through the chair umpire, that they share the support around a bit. At least he got a laugh.

Hewitt thanked the fans with a wave of the racquet as they cheered him off the court after triumphing 7-5 4-6 6-4 against an opponent ranked 44 places higher - and some wet, sweaty and windy weather.

He enjoyed himself and while little ought to be read into a glorified practice session, any win is a good win with the big dance only days away.

Despite his battles with injury and a steadily degenerating ranking, Hewitt looks to be in a relatively serene place these days.

The older he gets, the more the fans like him, it seems.

Now it's a matter of getting a glimpse of his genius while you still can because he seldom hangs around long at the Open any more and there is no knowing how long he'll be around at all.

If that has a familiar recent ring, it's because Hewitt has much in common these days with Ricky Ponting, another genius who is running out of time but is not necessarily willing to admit it or surrender meekly.

There is a bit of it about, actually.

A couple of other much-admired veterans for whom the finish line is definitely in sight failed to complete their assignments last weekend in a manner suggesting they might be pushing the envelope to its limit.

Soccer's Kevin Muscat, 37, was sent off after being booked twice as Melbourne Victory was thrashed 4-1 by Adelaide on Sunday, which smacks of frustration.

The same day, cyclist Robbie McEwen, 38, didn't finish the national road race championship after admitting beforehand that the course would be too tough - even though he won on it when he was younger.

Muscat will surely retire at the end of this campaign while McEwen wants to finish in front of Australian fans this time next year.

He's earned the right - and he's not risking anyone's reputation except his own, and his own is just about bullet-proof after all he's achieved.

The same is true of Hewitt. He is fully entitled to draw the curtain at a time of his own choosing, and he has made it abundantly clear that time has not arrived yet.

He is not as old as Ponting, 36, Muscat or McEwen, but turns 30 in February and an important - and often daunting - psychological milestone for any sportsman.

He has been playing elite tennis for more than half his lifetime, so it is no surprise that his body is now protesting regularly.

The fans keep applauding, as they did yesterday, because if Hewitt wasn't there the cupboard would be even barer without him than the cricket cupboard would be without Ponting.

And that's a depressing thought.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tenni … 5986593914

#137 16-01-2011 15:42:55

Serenity

User

Wywiad przed AO

Q. Yesterday must have been a great thing for you, giving your confidence a good boost coming into the Aussie Open.
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it was nice. I had a really good week at Kooyong. It was obviously a little bit interrupted with the rain delays and stuff around the place. But we got looked after extremely well.

Yeah, I felt really comfortable out there on the court, which is really good.

Q. Preparation wise, does it set in you better stead than previous years?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I don't know. I can only speak to this year. I feel like everything's gone to plan so far. Yeah, as I keep saying, you know, the last few days, I've done everything possible that I could have done so far. So it's a matter of just going out there and executing and hopefully playing well on Tuesday.

Q. You don't have any injury niggles at the moment?

LLEYTON HEWITT: No. Feeling good at the moment.

Q. What about David Nalbandian in the first round, how do you feel about playing him?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, as I said the other day leading up, it's going to be a tough match. It's going to be a tough first round. I'm looking forward to it. You're going to have to play well and I expect him to be hitting the ball pretty well after last week, as well.

Q. Is there any sort of a positive to playing a player like that that you know so well and you played before?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it's obviously a tough draw. Normally you don't mind, yeah, easing into the tournament a little bit. But we're both going to have to be up for the match straightaway. If you're not, you're going to be out in the first round.

Yeah, there's plenty to play for.

Q. This afternoon's Rally for Relief, that doesn't alter your preparations at all ahead of Tuesday when you play your first match?

LLEYTON HEWITT: No, not at all. Yeah, it's going to be a bit of fun. Pat and I are sort of running the show out there a little bit. It's going to be different, but it's going to be a lot of fun.

Yeah, it's all for a great cause. Pat and I, what we've given for Australia in Davis Cup, we love doing things for our great country. This afternoon's no different.

Q. Have you been surprised, not just the Australian players like yourself and Sam, but so many of the top internationals have gotten behind, playing on yours and Pat's team this afternoon?

LLEYTON HEWITT: I'm not really surprised, but it's a great thing. Guys like Roger and Rafa do so much, not just for tennis, but are great ambassadors for our sport. They're great guys off the court as well with what they do with the busy schedules they have.

I'm not surprised what these guys have offered. It's fantastic. It can really help the day as well, which is great.

Q. What do you expect about the role of people in the match against Nalbandian?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it's going to be no different to me playing anyone else in Australia. I always have a lot of great support here in Australia. Every time I play here at Melbourne Park, the support that I get is fantastic. It's not going to be any different playing David, if I get through, than playing my second round opponent.

Q. As this stage of your career, do you come into this tournament, which you completely love, thinking it could be your last and really treating it as if it could be?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Not really 'cause right at the moment I don't think it's going to be the last. It's not something that I dwell on too much at all when I go out there.

Yeah, I enjoy walking through the corridors here at Melbourne Park, get excited every time I come here to not only play but also practice.

Yeah, as I said, the motivation is still there and the body is feeling as good as it has for a few years right at the moment, which is good.

Q. There's people writing that your best years are behind you. How do you feel? Do you feel you can still have your best performances in your future?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah. Well, obviously it's hard to clip what I did in 2001, 2002, winning slams and Davis Cups, being ranked world No. 1. But, yeah, priorities and I guess goals change a little bit after you've been able to do that. A lot's sort of changed with how your body is as well. That's why my main priority is obviously with Davis Cup. We don't play a Davis Cup tie till later on in the year. But apart from that, the Grand Slams are my main priority.

Yeah, the ranking will take care of itself, as I've always said. My priority now is the four majors and preparing and trying to do as well as I can in those.

Q. What do you think you can achieve in the Grand Slams?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Oh, have to wait and see. All I can do is go out there. As I said coming into this tournament, when you're unseeded, it's always a little bit hard with draws and whatever. But I still feel like I can go out there and give most guys a pretty good run.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 20189.html

#138 17-01-2011 15:18:57

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Hewitt In Good Form Ahead Of 15th Australian Open Campaign

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/EC384FDEC6184826A2F4384C93BF8780.ashx
Lleyton Hewitt is congratulated
by his two eldest children, Mia
and Cruz, after winning the
Kooyong title.

Former World No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt completed his Australian Open preparations on Saturday by defeating Gael Monfils 7-5, 6-3 to win the AAMI Classic, an exhibition tournament in Kooyong. Earlier in the week, the Australian had defeated World No. 10 Mikhail Youzhny and No. 23 Nikolay Davydenko.

Two-time Grand Slam champion Hewitt has seen his South African Airways 2011 ATP Ranking slip to World No. 54 following an injury-ridden 2010, and as such finds himself unseeded in his 15th main draw appearance at Melbourne Park. In a blockbuster first-round clash he meets this week’s Auckland runner-up David Nalbandian, against whom he has a 3-2 career record, including victories in the 2002 Wimbledon final and 2005 Australian Open quarter-finals.

“I felt pretty comfortable this week and only time will tell over the next couple of weeks if it was the perfect preparation,” said Hewitt, who reached the Australian Open final in 2005 (l. to Safin). “But at the moment I'm extremely excited about winning three tough matches.”

''I've done everything possible and feel like my game is where I wanted it to be 10 weeks ago and physically I feel good. Ten weeks ago when I sat down with Rochey [coach Tony Roche] and talked about what we wanted to work on and get out of that training block, I think we've been able to do that, so we've done the best preparation possible.”

The 29-year-old Hewitt, who recovered from hip surgery at the beginning of 2010 only to see his season curtailed in September after suffering a hand injury on Davis Cup duty, added, “It gets tough when you've got to go out there and grind and do the running when you are a bit sore, whereas at the moment the body is holding up really well and I've been able to manage everything.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … tions.aspx

#139 21-01-2011 16:07:35

Art

User

Cash blames media for poor Hewitt reputation

One-time Aussie bad-boy player of two decades ago, Pat Cash, has blamed the media for a constant criticism which has trailed Lleyton Hewitt throughout his career.

The 29-year-old former No. 1 Hewitt exited the Australian Open in the first round at the hands of David Nalbandian.

But Cash, who won the Wimbledon in 1987, said that the difficult Hewitt reputation is in fact a product of the Aussie media. “Unfortunately, for many years the Australian media really gave it to tennis players - including me. I was probably the start of it all," said the 45-year-old, now a commentator and coach.

"It got so bad that the players - myself, Lleyton Hewitt and Mark Philippousis - rarely spoke to any Australian media," he told the Foxsports website. “Some kind of truce was worked out among Tennis Australia and the media, and I think Pat Rafter, being the all-round nice guy, helped settle that.

“But the mistrust in the media runs deep with those players I mentioned. We're different personalities. Some people will like us, some people won't. That will get people talking. The bottom line is that it's all about selling newspapers. In Australia we have too much media and too few stories.”

Cash also said that the Aussie tradition of criticising successful sportsmen and others in society - the so-called tall-poppy syndrome - came directly from Britain on the convict ships of two centuries ago. “The tall poppy syndrome is a nice trait we got from the English. They do exactly the same thing. Pure and simple, it's jealousy.”

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110 … reputation

#140 02-02-2011 22:52:30

Serenity

User

Hewitt lays groundwork for post-tennis career with TV trial

Lleyton Hewitt may have begun shedding his longtime bad boy tag among Australian fans with his solid match commentary performance at the just-concluded Open.

The hard-headed competitor who lost in the first round turned into a thoughtful analyst during his several on-air appearances in the commentary box for the Seven network.

By laying the groundwork for a possible new sideline once his tennis days are done, the two-time Grand Slam champion who turns 30 this month may have begun rehabilitating himself with the local public. Australian media were shocked: Lleyton had become likeable.

"People are never really given a chance to have that line of communication and an insight into Lleyton's personality," co-commentator and fellow former player Jim Courier told Melboune's Herald Sun. "It's the same thing with John McEnroe - who was obviously a rascal on the tennis court and unknowable in many ways from that part of his life - but people see a different side of him in the TV booth. And Lleyton has that same ability.

"It was a very healthy thing for him to do. A very smart thing to do and people will appreciate him in a different way because of it."

But while a future in the broadcast box could await, Hewitt remains fixed on his tennis, set for hardcourt events in the US this month in hopes of lifting his 68th ranking, starting with the indoor event in San Jose, California.

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20110202/ … h_TV_trial

Stopka forum

RSS