Ogłoszenie

Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#1 15-09-2009 19:16:03

Art

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Jack Kramer

http://i26.tinypic.com/5x616f.jpg

Jack Kramer (ur. 1 sierpnia 1921 w Las Vegas, Nevada, zm. 12 września 2009 w Los Angeles, Kalifornia), tenisista amerykański, zwycięzca Wimbledonu i mistrzostw USA, promotor tenisa zawodowego, komentator telewizyjny.

Jeden z kandydatów do tytułu najwybitniejszego gracza w historii, wysoki blondyn, praworęczny, był pierwszym mistrzem stylu "serwis-wolej" światowej klasy. Z jego nazwiskiem związany był termin "atomowego serwisu"; wykorzystując swoje podanie, Kramer atakował przy siatce zarówno po pierwszym, jak i drugim serwisie. Ofensywną grę prowadził także dzięki skutecznemu forhendowi. Słynął z umiejętności koncentrowania się na tzw. "ważnych punktach".

Jeden z najlepszych tenisistów świata tuż po II wojnie światowej Amerykanin Jack Kramer zmarł w Los Angeles w wieku 88 lat.
Kramer wygrał trzy turnieje wielkoszlemowe: w Wimbledonie w 1947 roku oraz w US Open w 1946 i 1947 roku. W 1968 roku został włączony w poczet Galerii Sław. Był też pierwszym dyrektorem Stowarzyszenia Zawodowych Tenisistów (ATP) w 1972 roku.

Przyczyną zgonu był nowotwór, który zdiagnozowano u niego w lipcu

http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/2042293,14,1,1,,item.html

#2 15-09-2009 19:23:42

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Re: Jack Kramer

Ależ postać, niejako wiece symboliczna dla ATP - pierwszy szef.

Richard Evans Remembers Jack Kramer

Jack Kramer should be remembered as one of the most influential men in the history of tennis. He would have written himself into the history books just as a player but he was never going to be satisfied with that. This son of a railway man from Las Vegas was always prepared to roll the dice in search of the best solution for the future of the game.

To begin with, that meant preserving professional tennis which he did by buying the Bobby Riggs tour soon after he had won Wimbledon in 1947 and proceeding to sign up most of the Wimbledon champions that followed. All through the late fifties and early sixties, Kramer kept up the pressure on the reactionary International Lawn Tennis Federation to open the game up to professionals and amateurs like.

When Herman David set the ball rolling by throwing open the gates of Wimbledon in 1968, the idea of a professional players association was not far behind. After a couple of false starts, one was formed at Forest Hills in 1972 and it was almost inevitable that Cliff Drysdale, Arthur Ashe, John Newcombe, Charlie Pasarell and other top players of the time would turn to Kramer to be their leader. He accepted the job on one condition. No pay.

By then, Kramer with Donald Dell helping him as they flew tirelessly around the world trying to professionalize the game, had devised the original format for a points-linked Grand Prix. It became the basis of the ATP tour we know today.

I had first met Jack when he came to London to sign up the British No. 1 Mike Davies in 1961. When I called on him at the Westbury Hotel in Mayfair, I was told to go up to his room. I was greeted by a tall man in a white bathrobe, offering a big handshake and a welcoming smile. “Hiya, kid, what can I do for you?”

It was the start of a friendship I treasured. In 1973, after the players had asked me to become their PR man in Europe and, a few months later to take over running of the ATP Paris office, I found myself working for Kramer and I have never worked for anyone better.

It was his sheer enthusiasm for the game that shone through. Nothing was too much trouble if it furthered the cause of the game or helped its players. I spent some weeks working out of the ATP’s Los Angeles offices in the May Company Building on Pico Blvd in the summer of 1975 and frequently heard him pick up the phone when his secretary, Cindy Parks, was out to lunch. Sometimes it would be a young qualifier wondering if he had got into the next tournament. “Hang on, kid, let’s take a look at your ranking,” the great man would say before going on to give the nervous youngster a rundown of every detail he needed to know.

Shortly afterwards, Kramer become a little disillusioned with the number of players who defected for part of the year to World Team Tennis and decided to step down. But by then he had led the ATP through the pivotal moment of its history – the 1973 Wimbledon boycott. About ninety players decided to strike on the eve of the Championships in protest over a decision to ban Nikki Pilic from playing Davis Cup. It was about much more than that, of course; it was about showing the ILTF once and for all that professionals would no longer allow their lives to be run by amateurs.

It was a huge story and, unwilling to find villains amongst such heroes as Newcombe and Ashe, the British press, siding with Wimbledon, made Kramer the scapegoat. As a result Jack had to step down from a job he loved, commentating at Wimbledon with Dan Maskell for the BBC. It was a sacrifice he made for the game and its players, all of whom should be grateful that a man of such strength and stature was in their corner, absorbing the punches on their behalf, at the dawn of the ATP’s existence.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … Evans.aspx

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#3 18-09-2009 22:57:51

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Kramer "Most Significant Figure In Tennis"

Without any second thoughts, I would say that Jack Kramer was the single most significant figure in the history of his game — tennis.

He died Saturday at the age of 88.  He was a player, a champion, an innovator, a promoter, an executive, a labor leader.  On top of that, the most popular tennis racket ever sold was named for him — the Wilson Jack Kramer Autograph, which virtually dominated the business, selling 30 million from 1947 until wooden rackets went out of fashion.  And finally, because everything in tennis just seemed to stick to Kramer for about 40 years, he can also be credited with causing the creation of women's professional tennis.  Well, sort of.  More on that in a minute

Friends called him Big Jake.  The "Jake" wasn't an offshoot of "Jack," but came from cards, where jacks are called "jakes.”  From an early age, Kramer was a gambler; the hustler was part of him.  He was born in Las Vegas in 1921.  His father was a railroad man.  Young Kramer certainly didn't come from privilege.  He was one of that generation or two of California kids — Vines, Budge, Wills, Marble, Riggs, Schroeder, King — who came off the public courts to dominate tennis in the world.  In fact, American tennis has never been the same since that well dried up.

Kramer would surely have been a champion before he won the U.S. Nationals (forerunner of the Open) in 1946 — and then Wimbledon and the Nationals again in '47 — but he lost many of his best years serving in the Pacific in the Coast Guard during World War II.

When he did return after the war, he changed the major strategy of the sport by winning with what was called "the big game" — consistent, overpowering serve and volley.  Then, in those disgraceful years of "shamateurism," when players stayed amateur to compete in the major tournaments by taking money under the table, Kramer turned pro.  He whipped Bobby Riggs on his debut tour, then Pancho Gonzales and Frank Sedgman.  After that, in his mid-30s, with no fields left to conquer, he stopped playing, but by then he was already running the pro tour he dominated.  He was tennis' major impresario for two decades.

In 1972, after tennis had finally become an honest professional game, Kramer became the first executive director of the player's union, the Association of Tennis Professionals.  The following year, when the ATP had a dispute with Wimbledon, Kramer — who was beloved in England, an announcer at Wimbledon for the BBC — became the prime villain.  When the ATP boycotted, Kramer lost his BBC role and became a Wimbledon outcast.  The ATP, meanwhile, grew and prospered.

Kramer was, ultimately, a businessman.  He hired "Gorgeous Gussy" Moran, she of the scandalous lace panties, to serve as part of a warm-up match on one of his tours, but that was more for her beauty than her strokes.  Generally, Big Jake simply didn't believe that "the dames" sold at the box office nearly as well as "the kids," and when, in 1970, a tournament Kramer ran, the Pacific Southwest, only allotted $7,500 of the $50,000 purse to the women, Billie Jean King led a walk-out that led directly to the Virginia Slims Tour and then to the creation of the Women's Tennis Association.

When King played Riggs a couple years later in the Battle of the Sexes, she literally threatened to call the whole thing off at the eleventh hour unless ABC removed Big Jake from the broadcast booth.  Kramer took his leave so the show could go on.

Kramer was a charming fellow, full of wonderful stories about the days when tennis was a gentleman's game on the surface and a lot of con and deceit underneath.  He knew everyone who was alive in the game for half a century or more, and also where most of the bodies were buried.  His first major appearance was in the 1939 Davis Cup Challenge, which the United States lost to Australia.  Now, with Kramer's death, the only other significant athlete from the pre-war era who is still living is Bob Feller, the baseball pitcher.

RIP, Big Jake.

- American Frank Deford is a senior contributing writer for Sports Illustrated, National Public Radio commentator and correspondent for "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel" on HBO.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … ennis.aspx

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#4 23-09-2010 15:01:12

Joao

Buntownik z wyboru

Sylwetka :

Kramer pochodził z przeciętnej amerykańskiej rodziny. Urodził się w Las Vegas, gdzie mieszkał do 13 roku życia. Później przeprowadził się wraz z rodzicami do San Bernadino w Kalifornii, a następnie do Montebello, w tym samym stanie. Jego ojciec pracował m.in. przy budowie linii kolejowej. Początkowo pasję do tenisa Kramer łączył z uprawianiem innych dyscyplin sportu, głównie koszykówki. Po raz pierwszy zaczął myśleć poważnie o karierze tenisowej, po obejrzeniu spotkania z udziałem Ellswortha Vinesa, ówcześnie najlepszego zawodnika na świecie. Po ukończeniu szkoły średniej Kramer rozpoczął studia w College"u Collinsa, w miejscowości Winter Park na Florydzie. Podczas II wojny światowej służył w armii amerykańskiej, w jednostce Straży Wybrzeża Stanów Zjednoczonych. W 1950 roku przeprowadził się wraz z żoną Glorią do wybudowanego przez siebie domu w Bel Air, dzielnicy Los Angeles.
Po zakończeniu kariery zajął się organizowaniem zawodowego cyklu turniejów. Był też gorącym zwolennikiem zniesienia podziału na zawodowców i amatorów. Gdy nastała Era Open w tenisie (1968), Kramer był jednym z głównych organizatorów i pomysłodawcą cyklu zawodowych turniejów (Grand Prix), który funkcjonował w latach 1970-90 i był poprzednikiem obecnego cyklu, czyli ATP Tour. W 1972 roku przyczynił się do powstania Związku Zawodowych Tenisistów (ATP) i był pierwszym dyrektorem tej organizacji, nie pobierając z tego tytułu żadnej pensji. Gdy w 1973 roku Jugosłowianin Niki Pilic otrzymał zakaz gry na Wimbledonie po odmowie występu w reprezentacji w Pucharze Davisa, Kramer kierował bojkotem imprezy, doprowadzając do tego, że 13 zawodników z pośród 16 rozstawionych nie wystąpiło w tej edycji wimbledońskiego turnieju. Od tego czasu tenisiści przestali być niewolnikami swoich krajowych federacji. Kramer przez długi czas sprawował pieczę nad turniejem L.A. Open w Los Angeles, który w latach 1979-81 nosił nazwę "Jack Kramer Open". Jeden z jego pięciu synów (Bob Kramer) jest dyrektorem tego turnieju od 1984 roku.
Kramer był ponadto przez wiele lat komentatorem radiowym i telewizyjnym. Relacjonował m.in. wydarzenia na kortach Wimbledonu (dla stacji BBC) i US Open. W 1979 roku wydał autobiografie, w której opisał swoją karierę tenisisty i działacza ("The Game, My 40 Years in Tennis"). Drewniana rakieta Wilsona firmowana jego nazwiskiem (model "Wilson Autograph Jack Kramer") była najlepiej sprzedającą się rakietą tenisową w historii i używali ją swego czasu najlepsi tenisiści na świecie. Wśród nich byli tacy gracze jak John McEnroe, Arthur Ashe, Chris Evert, Tracy Austin i wielu innych. Kramer był przez krótki czas współwłaścicielem klubu tenisowego (Jack Kramer Tennis Club) w mieście Rolling Hills Estates, ale szybko porzucił ten pomysł, gdyż nie przynosił spodziewanych zysków. Od 1953 roku Kramer posiadał własne pole golfowe w miejscowości Chino Hills w Kalifornii, którym zarządzał aż do śmierci w 2009 roku.

Styl gry :

Amerykanin był pierwszym zawodnikiem, który doprowadził styl "serw i wolej" do perfekcji. Jego wysoki wzrost i szczupła sylwetka doskonale się do takiej gry nadawały. Mocnym, dokładnym serwisem wyrzucał rywala za końcową linię i błyskawicznie przemieszczał się pod siatkę, gdzie popisywał się skutecznymi wolejami lub smeczami. Taktykę tą stosował zarówno przy pierwszym, jak i drugim podaniu. Sporo punktów zdobywał dzięki swojemu atomowemu serwisowi, który nie zawodził go w kluczowych momentach. Kramer znany był również ze świetnego, ofensywnego forhendu i mocnego returnu. Oba te uderzenia pozwalały mu często przejmować inicjatywę w grze także przy serwisie rywala. Nie co mniej pożytku przynosił jego bekhend, ale również tego zagrania nie musiał się wstydzić. Jego agresywny styl gry najlepiej sprawdzał się na szybkich nawierzchniach, a umiejętność gry przy siatce pomagała mu w odnoszeniu sukcesów w rywalizacji deblowej. Kramer słynął ponadto z mocnej psychiki, a także ze wznoszenia się na wyżyny swoich umiejętności w najważniejszych momentach spotkania.

http://tenisbet.pl/view/jack-kramer

Człowiek, jak każda małpa, jest zwierzęciem społecznym, a społeczeństwo rządzi się kumoterstwem, nepotyzmem, lewizną i plotkarstwem, uznając je za podstawowe normy postępowania etycznego. (Cień wiatru - Carlos Ruiz Zafon)

#5 23-09-2010 15:06:10

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Bardzo zasłużona dla tenisa postać.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

Stopka forum

RSS