mtenis.pun.pl - forum fanów tenisa ATP

Ogłoszenie

Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#61 27-08-2009 21:47:31

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Re: Novak Djoković

Nic się z nim specjalnego nie stało. Każdy ma swój "peak" formy w innym wieku. Nole zabłysnął w wieku 19-20 lat, a później obsiadł. 600 razy kreowano go na nowego lidera rankingu, ale byli tacy co przestrzegali, że niewiadomo jak on będzie grał za jakiś czas. Takich przypadków jest cała masa. Tak jak gra zaskakuje i gracz czyni postepy tak i w każej chwili ten rozwój może zostać zatrzymany. W przypadku Novaka tak się chyba stało. No ale wyniki ma - 4 finały mastersów w jednym roku to pokaźny dorobek.

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#62 27-08-2009 23:08:40

Fed-Expresso

Masta

Ulubiony zawodnik: Rafael "The Slice King" Nadal

Zgadza się, patrząc tylko na suche wyniki można stwierdzić, że Nole gra bardzo przyzwoicie, ale mi nie chodzi o to, że sie zatrzymał w rozwoju, a wręcz cofnął.

W 2007 roku jego tenis był naprawdę urozmaicony, załóżmy, że z racji problemów zdrowotnych zniknęły spektakularne obrony, ale czy słabsza forma fizyczna jest przyczyna oduczenia się zagrywania dropshotów(cokolwiek znakomitych) czy atomowego fh.

#63 28-08-2009 09:43:31

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Fed-Expresso napisał:

W 2007 roku jego tenis był naprawdę urozmaicony, załóżmy, że z racji problemów zdrowotnych zniknęły spektakularne obrony, ale czy słabsza forma fizyczna jest przyczyna oduczenia się zagrywania dropshotów(cokolwiek znakomitych) czy atomowego fh.

No Fana Federera to chyba nie powinno dziwić. Jak ktoś się zajedzie fizycznie to traci na regularności. I głównie w tym tkwi problem Serba. (bardzo uogólniając)

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#64 08-09-2009 15:26:57

Kubecki

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Novak Djokovic

Brilliant Nole powers into the quarter-finals!

World no.4 Novak Djokovic defeated no.15 seed Czech Radek Stepanek in straight sets 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 in 1 hour and 46 minutes to book a quarter-final spot at the US Open.

Novak broke Stepanek’s service twice in the first set, in the fourth and sixth game, and then served out to love for 6-1.

Stepanek held in the opening game of the second set, but couldn’t hold pressure from Djokovic for much longer. Nole made two breaks to go 4-1 up. The Czech got one break back and held for 4-3. Stepanek was serving to stay in the second set, but with two poor forehands he handed Novak two break/set points. No.15 seed saved the first with a great first serve but Djokovic capitalised on the second chance to grab the set 6-3.

The 22-year old from Belgrade held to 30 to open the third set. The Serb made a crucial break in the sixth game and then held to increase his lead to 5-2. Nole was confident serving for the match and closed it 6-3.

Djokovic served 5 aces to Stepanek’s 4.
He hit 29 winners to Stepanek’s 19, and made 21 unforced errors, 7 less than his opponent.
The Serb capitalised on 6 of his 13 chances for break, while the Czech converted 1 of his 3 break points.

Novak will play against world no.10 Fernando Verdasco for a place in the semi-finals. The Spaniard beat American John Isner in four sets 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.

Djokovic and Verdasco have met 5 times, Nole leads 3-2.

http://www.novakdjokovic.rs/news.php?ak … 13&jezik=2

#65 01-10-2009 23:58:16

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

Deconstructing Djokovic

James Martin

If there’s a player who likes to be the center of attention, the one who cracks up the crowd and becomes a favorite on YouTube, it’s Novak Djokovic. Just last month, after beating Radek Stepanek at the U.S. Open, Djokovic added to his body of work as the class clown. He looked up at the broadcast booth, with a mischievous glint in his eyes, and “challenged” Johnny Mac to a hit in front of the well-lubricated, late-night crowd. It was classic Djoker, a moment that revealed his charm and unfailing desire to be in the spotlight. Unfortunately, the 2008 Australian Open champion hasn’t been in the spotlight for much else, unless you count a striptease he did in Montreal.

Djokovic, the 2008 Australian Open champ and a finalist at the U.S. Open in 2007, was underwhelming at the majors this season.
While he’s still clearly one of the elite players in the world, with a more than respectable ranking of No. 4, Djokovic seems to have lost his cutting edge on the court when it matters most. This season, despite winning two small titles, Belgrade and Dubai, he came up short in five other tour-level finals and failed to seriously challenge for a major championship. He meekly retired in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open (the heat and the Djoker apparently don’t mix) and lost in the third round of the French Open to Philipp Kohlschreiber and the quarterfinals of Wimbledon to Tommy Haas.

But it was his defeat at the hands of Roger Federer in the U.S. Open semifinals that, if you’re a Djokovic fan, is most troublesome. Although the score (7-6, 7-5, 7-5) was close, the match wasn’t. While Federer played well enough, Djokovic never looked like he believed he could win. Perhaps he should have borrowed a pair of shoes from Melanie Oudin. The Djokovic of old, the one who crashed the scene in ’08, would have had a chip on his shoulder and not shown Federer so much deference. Instead, we got a smiling, seemingly content Djoker who had all the bite of a Chihuahua.

What happened to the player with the smug mug who delighted in the opportunity to knock the likes of Federer off his perch?

Todd Martin, who Djokovic hired as one of his coaches right before the U.S. Open, was there in Djokovic’s box when he lost to Federer, taking copious notes. When asked what he was jotting down, Martin dryly replied, “I can’t believe so many people are surprised that people in athletics know how to write.”

Moving on to his analysis of the match, he says, “It felt like, in the grand scheme of the match, Roger was ready and willing to take advantage of opportunities. Novak struggled a little bit at being at peace with himself and seizing the moment when it comes. Against the Top 5 guys, those moments are going to be few and far between. If you’re not alert to make the most happen for yourself, it won’t happen.”

While Martin won’t give away any company secrets, lest the information find its way into enemy hands, he intends to sharpen Djokovic’s strokes, strategies, and mind game. Martin would like to see his charge hit more forehands from the middle of the court. “His forehand is more temperamental than his backhand,” Martin says. “His backhand is like the morning news—it always shows up. His forehand has the potential to be a great weapon. Novak likes to use it in different ways. I’d like to see him hit more forehands, and make more of the opportunity of hitting forehands from the middle of the court.”

Martin also emphasizes the importance of keeping a steady focus regardless of the score. You see it in the most successful champions, he says, the ability to build momentum after a good point and, more importantly, to forget a poorly played one as soon as it’s over. “The best competitors are able to erase the chalkboard and go back to doing the things, the gameplan, that are in permanent ink.”

Djokovic’s mind may indeed be his greatest vulnerability. He’s not a headcase in the theatrical spirit of the game’s most celebrated underachievers, Marat Safin or Illie Nastase. But his meltdowns are no less spectacular. At times, when he finds himself on the losing end, he appears to put in the old college try, eschewing the percentages in favor of the kind of high-risk shot-making of a player who’s mentally checked out.

There’s no doubt that Djokovic is supremely gifted, the best jock in the Top 5. Martin, for one, marvels at his explosive movement and his ability to maintain a high level of ball control when he’s stretched out wide or in an otherwise awkward position. With his gifts, Djokovic should be putting together a more consistent record and adding to his single Grand Slam trophy.

And that may just be a matter of time. It’s not as if the Serb’s game needs a complete overhaul, of course. He’s like a sports car—high performance, and highly temperamental. Getting a tune-up might be all that Djokovic needs to get him back into the spotlight for the best reason of all, his tennis.

James Martin is the editor in chief of TENNIS magazine.

#66 09-10-2009 19:35:35

szeva

User

Kiedyś bardzo lubiłem Djokovicia szczególnie po wygranym AO 08, a teraz jakos straciłem do niego sympatię. Zmienił rakietę z Wilsona na Heada dostał więcej kasy ale przestał wygrywać, tylko zmienia narzeczone

Nole pewnie wróci na 3 miejsce w rankingu

Rozstawiony z numerem drugim Serb Novak Djokovic pokonał 6:3, 1:6, 6:1 Hiszpana Fernando Verdasco (nr 5.) i awansował do półfinału turnieju ATP na twardych kortach w Pekinie (z pulą nagród 2,1 mln dol.).

Tenisista z Belgradu ma szansę awansować na trzecie miejsce w rankingu ATP World Tour, jeśli wygra tu jeszcze jeden mecz.

22-letni Djokovic ma szansę wyprzedzić w tej klasyfikacji Andy'ego Murraya, który z powodu kontuzji nadgarstka zrezygnował ze startu w turnieju rangi Masters 1000 w Szanghaju rozpoczynającym się w niedzielę.

Szkot, mimo kłopotów z ręką, grał przeciwko Polsce we wrześniowym spotkaniu rozgrywek o Puchar Davisa w Liverpoolu, którego stawką było pozostanie w Grupie I Strefy Euroafrykańskiej. Chociaż zdobył dwa punkty w singlu i wystąpił w deblu, nie uchronił swojej drużyny przed degradacją.

Murray straci trzecie miejsce w rankingu ATP World Tour, jeśli w sobotę Djokovic pokona w Pekinie Robina Soederlinga. Rozstawiony z szóstką Szwed awansował do tej fazy pokonując 7:6 (7-3), 6:4 Chorwata Ivana Ljubicica, który dzień wcześniej wyeliminował Łukasza Kubota.

sports.pl

I LOVE TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#67 09-10-2009 21:07:47

Kubecki

User

Dawaj Djoker, wracamy do gry!

#68 10-10-2009 12:04:39

szeva

User

I stało się Novak juz trzeci

Wcześniej awans do finału wywalczył Serb Novak Djokovic (nr 2.), po wygranej 6:3, 6:3 ze Szwedem Robinem Soederlingiem (6.). To zwycięstwo pozwoli tenisiście z Belgradu awansować 19 października na trzecie miejsce w rankingu ATP World Tour, w którym wyprzedzi Andy'ego Murraya. Szkot z powodu kontuzji nadgarstka zrezygnował ze startu w turnieju rangi Masters 1000 w Szanghaju rozpoczynającym się w niedzielę.

sports.pl

I LOVE TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#69 11-10-2009 13:54:15

Fed-Expresso

Masta

#14) Pekin 2009

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/069C974FD59747F3BC6CFD83AFCD5417.ashx

R32 V.Hanescu 6/3 7/5
R16 V.Troicki  6/3 6/0
QF  F.Verdasco(5) 6/3 1/6 6/1
SF  R.Soderling(6)  6/3 6/3
W   M.Cilić(8) 6/2 7/6

Ostatnio edytowany przez Fed-Expresso (11-10-2009 13:54:32)

#70 11-10-2009 13:59:35

Kubecki

User

Brawo Novak

#71 15-10-2009 16:09:51

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

The many different sides of Novak Djokovic

SHANGHAI -- How about the evolution of Novak Djokovic: court jester, petulant child, cerebral and political maestro.

And to think, the Serbian is only 22 years old.

Djokovic initially captivated the world of tennis with his breath-of-fresh-air demeanor and hysterical impressions of fellow players. Although not every player delighted in being mimicked, the prevailing opinion was that Djokovic was funny.

His nickname, "Djoker," is pure serendipity.

Nevertheless, a more serious Djokovic emerged following his 2008 Australian Open victory, and that seriousness turned to frequent churlishness, a result of self-induced pressure for greater success that became an albatross around his neck.

Now, there's a new version of Djokovic.

The Serbian's most recent, not to mention far more palatable incarnation, is as a thinking man's player, a transformation that coincides with his emergence as a tournament owner.

It's the Djokovic extended family's new business: ownership and organization of the Serbian Open, which successfully brought a professional tennis event to the country for the first time in May.

Djokovic did not disappoint the 100,000 fans who flocked to the Belgrade-based event by winning the inaugural edition. But he couldn't help becoming somewhat involved in the operational side, which has helped him develop a new appreciation for the all-inclusive nature of the tennis business.

"The main goal and priority is that every single person who came as a guest at our tournament feels good," said Djokovic, who also serves the tour in a political capacity as a member of the Player Council. "That's what we tried to do, starting from [the] restaurant and the courts, the hotel, transportation. I asked the players; every player who I spoke to was happy."

Djokovic understands that growing a tournament is not easy, especially when it was necessary to build the infrastructure from scratch, which takes time, money and dedication.

But he has big dreams for the future of the Serbian Open, even if the event is not of the caliber of the nine premiere ATP Master 1000 events.

"This is a hard part of the tournament, not having a lot of opportunities to invite the big stars," Djokovic said. "Obviously we're going to need a higher category of tournament, eventually, to attract the bigger players, and of course a bigger budget. I'm trying, with my own friendship with all these guys and trying to influence them a little bit, but their decision is their decision."

Djokovic knows a quality event when he sees one, and the Shanghai Masters 1000 couldn't rate higher in his estimation. In fact, he told new ATP president Adam Helfant, who briefly stopped by the event, to bottle Shanghai as the recipe for the perfect tournament.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Shanghai has deep pockets, which many tournaments do not have.

The top eight seeds and top two doubles teams have their own private living rooms, bathrooms and locker rooms. And the player dining room features a one-star Michelin chef brought in from Italy.

"All the small details that the players care about: locker room, showers or balls, or space, playing room, quality of the food, everything is a very high level," Djokovic said, referencing Shanghai. "This is something that is important, and this tournament should be an example to all of the other tournaments. I am not saying that the other tournaments are bad -- there are many good tournaments, but this is the way it should look."

Djokovic serves on the Player Council with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, which happened when the threesome was dissatisfied with former ATP leader Etienne de Villiers, who left at the end of last season.

Now, they're working to rebuild a solid relationship with the new leader, and Djokovic believes Helfant is taking their concerns on board.

"It's a process," Djokovic said. "I think that there was not enough communication between the players and the tournaments and in one way, it's the players' fault. [They] talk about it between each other and in the locker room, [that] things that can be improved and then when the time comes to talk about it and really do something about it, they stop. So this is very important that we get united and everybody tries to do something."

Despite the outside interests, Djokovic's main dedication is to his tennis, and he arrived in Shanghai coming off a victory at the Beijing tournament last week. In an effort to improve, he's employed former two-time Grand Slam finalist Todd Martin as a tag-team coach to his longtime coaching relationship with Marian Vajda.

Martin has improved Djokovic's volleys, slices and shotmaking. And Martin offers a positive energy and calming effect Djokovic believes will counter his emotionally charged persona.

"I just want to continue playing tournament after tournament and building up a good shape, good form, and right now I'm in a good way," Djokovic said. "Physically I'm feeling very fit, and mentally I'm motivated to achieve good results."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/ind … espntennis

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#72 22-10-2009 15:07:08

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Novak miesiąc temu otworzył swoją kolejną restauracje, ponoć już czwartą. Lokal nosi nazwę:
‘Novak Cafe & Restaurant’, a znajduje się przy kortach, na których w maju rozgrywany jest turniej Serbia Open, Belgrad.

Kilka fotek:

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww34/mooraie/Brothers/305.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww34/mooraie/Brothers/d11.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww34/mooraie/Brothers/d7.jpg

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#73 23-10-2009 12:05:26

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Why Novak Djokovic said no to Great Britain

We will never know how close Novak Djokovic came to representing Great Britain. But as his Cadillac was manoeuvred out of the Shanghai slow lanes and picked up a heady turn of speed yesterday, there was no holding back on his first account of a riveting tale that could have inspired a team from this country to win the Davis Cup rather than scrape around for its booby prizes.

As far-fetched as it might seem, Djokovic and Andy Murray may have become team-mates. Indeed, only Djokovic’s devotion to Serbia — a country struggling with its identity in 2006 and one that could not match the splendour that was offered to a starry-eyed teenager and his family by the British authorities — prevented what would have been the liaison to end all tennis liaisons. The Great Britain team may still have been preparing for a tie in Lithuania in March but, from there, watch out, World Group.

With Serbia trying to find its feet on many fronts, as the disintegration of its alliance with Montenegro accelerated through the early part of that year, we should not decry the LTA testing the waters with a family unsure of where it stood. Nothing wrong with a cup of tea and cucumber sandwiches at the president’s residence, is there? “To be honest with you, the talk was serious,” Djokovic said. “Britain was offering me a lot of opportunities and they needed someone because Andy [Murray] was the only one, and still is. That had to be a disappointment for all the money they invest.

“But I didn’t need the money as much as I had done. I had begun to make some for myself, enough to afford to travel with a coach, and I said, ‘Why the heck?’ I am Serbian, I am proud of being a Serbian, I didn’t want to spoil that just because another country had better conditions. A lot of athletes had been misunderstood in Serbia and it is still not easy always to be appreciated. But hope was there. If I had played for Great Britain, of course I would have played exactly as I do for my country but deep inside, I would never have felt that I belonged. I was the one who took the decision.

No one from inside the LTA has confessed that the discussions with the Djokovic family went as far as they did. There would have been a three-year hiatus — for two of which Djokovic would have had to live in the country — for him to be pull on a Britain tracksuit under the sport’s constitution, but it would have been worth the wait. No one was doing anything wrong; after all, the governing body had been persuader rather than persuadee with Greg Rusedski in 1995, tempting him from Canada with stories of riches beyond his imagination.

We now know, short of spending all Wimbledon’s annual donation on the Djokovics, it could not have done more than it did but it does make the battle between the present world No 3 and No 4 (Djokovic leapfrogs Murray again on Monday) all the more gripping. What a partnership they would have made. Imagine, we would have two players in with a chance of winning grand-slam titles, two to hound and harass in SW19.

“Andy comes from Great Britain, Great Britain has the biggest tournament in sport, when he plays there, it is madness,” Djokovic, 22, said. “All the eyes on him, all the hopes on him. This year he came close but [Andy] Roddick played very good tennis in the semi-final. But Murray has always been mentally a very strong player, he has to keep on and hopefully for him, he has what it takes to win.”

Returning to London next month for the Barclays World Tour Finals, Djokovic will be the defending champion, having won the old Masters Cup here last November. He appreciates his image will be less prominent on posters than those of Roger Federer, Murray and Rafael Nadal. “I don’t expect any kind of special attention because there are other players there more successful than me,” Djokovic said. “In a way, that’s better for me. But I’ve experienced a lot in the past few years, which has given me time to settle on my thoughts and experiences that can help me evolve as a player. I have always been a perfectionist, it has given me trouble and trouble to those around me, I put a lot of frustrations on myself.”

He sees what Federer and Nadal have done and is in awe. “I have seen and felt in my own skin what it is like to win a slam, but they have done it again and again and again,” he said. “People do not know what pressures they are under. Think of it, we have to constantly reset our motivations and our psychology. In Beijing [last week] I won the title, I had not done that since May, I was so happy, and the next day I was travelling here to prepare for a tournament that is even bigger, playing someone ranked 60 places below me. We do that throughout the year.”

Djokovic’s breakthrough came at last year’s Australian Open. In 2008 Djokovic won the quarter and semi- finals (the latter against Federer) in straight sets, to find himself up against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, of France. Tsonga had reached the final on a wave of outrageously confident ball-striking and when he won the first set, he was still cresting the waves. But Djokovic, as he loves to do, dug in, clenched his teeth, and won. Laying flat on his back that pulsating night, what did he feel? “All my life went through my head, capturing images from my past, the things I went through, as a four-year-old who felt so much in love with tennis and dreamed that one day I would win a grand slam,” he said.

“I remembered how I used to turn up for junior events, the one kid with a bag with his socks, shirts and shorts folded and ready, because I had been brought up to be very professional, very disciplined. I remembered that the lady who used to coach me when I was a kid used to tell me when I should go to bed, how I should do my schoolwork and say I must never, never drink Coca-Cola because it was bad for me. To this day I think I have only drunk one litre of it in my life.”

He will cherish winning in Melbourne for ever, but one championship dominates his wish list. “I just want to put myself into the position when I can be out there fighting for the Wimbledon title,” he said. “It is irreplaceable for me, the event, the history. It was when I saw Pete Sampras, my childhood hero, lifting the trophy on television at home when I was 6 years old and my eyes were the size of tennis balls that I knew this was where I wanted to be.”

One was reminded of the football player who had once said that scoring a goal was better than sex. “Yeah, Ronaldo wasn’t it?” he said. So what was better, winning a grand-slam tournament or sex? “Nothing, nothing, nothing is better than sex, it is what God created us to do,” he replied. But what if he were to win Wimbledon? “Ask me the question again on that day,” he said.

Courts of appeal

Novak Djokovic The mainstay of the players’ party each year in Monte Carlo, he dances, he acts, he sings, he has brought crowds to life with impersonations that are among the most popular sporting items on YouTube. His finest are those of Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova. As such, he has been a guest on the Jay Leno Show in the United States.

Mansour Bahrami Djokovic’s equivalent on the senior circuit, Bahrami’s impersonations of his fellow veteran players bring the house down wherever he plays. The speciality of the Iranian is serving five balls in a row, holding four between the fingers of his left hand and a fifth in his palm.

Ilie Nastase, Though there was often a destructive streak to the antics of the Romanian, Nastase could often display his funny side. There was a distinct sense of humour in his on-court shenanigans, but he frequently did not know when to stop. “I am a little crazy,” he said, “but I try to be a good boy.”

Jonas Björkman The recently retired Swedish doubles specialist is another who loved to impersonate his fellow players, most notably John McEnroe and Boris Becker. Björkman was another of the players who was front and centre at the players’ annual laugh-in.

Andy Roddick Perhaps not quite in the court-jester category, Roddick possesses a keenly cutting sense of humour, the quickest one-liners in the game and a comic’s features. Has recently appeared in a humorous commercial with an American actor, Bill Kurtis, for AT&T, the American communications company.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ … 876924.ece

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#74 26-10-2009 21:15:30

Serenity

User

Novak Djokovic: The man who met his match with Murray

They were rivals as boys and have stayed neck and neck ever since but the Serb has got his nose back in front in the race to the top of the tennis summit. Paul Newman speaks to Novak Djokovic

Given that they were born just a week apart, perhaps it should be no surprise that Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have matched each other rung for rung in their climb up the tennis ladder. Long-term rivals from their junior days, they earned their first senior ranking points within a fortnight of each other in 2003, broke into the world's top 100 within three months of one another in 2005 and reached the top 10 within one month of each other two years ago.

Djokovic, the younger of the 22-year-olds by just seven days, was the first to reach a Grand Slam final, at the US Open in 2007, with Murray following suit in the same tournament 12 months later. The Serb is one up in terms of success at the majors, having won last year's Australian Open, while the Scot has achieved the higher ranking, having briefly displaced Rafael Nadal as world No 2 this summer.

Nevertheless, when the world order was updated last week it was Djokovic's turn to look down once again on his contemporary. Five months ago, Murray took over the world No 3 position that Djokovic had held for nearly two years, but in the second half of this season the Serb has been recovering lost ground.

While Djokovic has been making hay in the Far East, winning the China Open in Beijing and reaching the semi-finals of the Shanghai Masters, Murray has had to let the grass grow under his feet, having not played a tournament since the US Open in early September because of an injury to his left wrist.

Like most players, Djokovic insists he does not pay too much attention to the rankings, although he is well-placed to appreciate their value. Being in the world's top four for the last 27 months has meant that he has not had to face Nadal or Roger Federer – or, latterly, Murray – before the semi-finals of any tournament in that period.

What did it mean to Djokovic to reclaim the No 3 ranking last week? "I was world No 3 for a long time and to get it back feels great, because I think I deserved it, playing well in the last two or three months," he said. "I'm aware that another reason why I'm there is that I was able to play two weeks in a row [in Beijing and Shanghai] when Andy wasn't, but that's tennis.

"I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the rankings, because calculations can distract you. I just want to continue playing tournament after tournament and building up a good shape and good form. I'm feeling good right now. Physically I'm feeling very fit and mentally I'm motivated to achieve good results."

The key to Djokovic's current physical and mental well-being has been the introduction of two new figures to his entourage. Back in April he hired Gebhard Phil-Gritsch, Thomas Muster's former trainer, as his new fitness coach, while Todd Martin, a former world No 4, joined his team before the US Open. Marian Vajda is still officially Djokovic's coach, but Martin, a 39-year-old American, is a growing influence.

In hiring Phil-Gritsch, who helped Muster become one of the fittest players in tennis, Djokovic has shown a determination to improve upon an area which had been a weakness in the past. He had developed a reputation for failing to last the distance, having retired four times during Grand Slam matches. In the quarter-finals of this year's Australian Open he quit in the fourth set against Andy Roddick because of heat exhaustion.

"I've been putting a lot of work into the physical stuff," Djokovic said. "It's hard when you switch fitness coaches. You don't want to make a big change because it might ruin your system, so he adapted to my body and got me into his routine. It's been working well. We've put a lot of work into the legs, into my movement, because this is where I have a good feeling about my game. My advantage is my running ability. I like to be dynamic and show a lot of energy on the court."

Martin's influence, as a thoughtful coach and a cool head, has probably been even more significant. Djokovic, a forceful and demonstrative character, may not be the easiest of men to coach. He has had a knack for rubbing up tennis people the wrong way, upsetting some with his mid-match retirements and calls to the trainer and others with his impressions of fellow players. When does self-confidence become arrogance?

For all his ability to entertain crowds – witness his hilarious jousting with John McEnroe at the US Open last month – Djokovic can also turn the public against him. Twelve months earlier he had incurred the New York crowd's wrath with ill-judged criticisms of Roddick.

So how has Martin helped? "He obviously brings his great knowledge and experience – and great calmness," Djokovic said. "He's a very positive person and that's what I like. Before the US Open we had lots of time on the tennis court. We put a lot of work into it. I'm a temperamental player. I show my emotions, even in practice.

"When I get frustrated I throw my racket. Then I look at Todd and I'm kind of scared about what his reaction might be, what he's going to say. But he always says: 'The shot you made before the mistake was good. So keep it going.' He always tries to find the positive in everything. I think that's a great thing about him. He's going to bring a lot of freshness to the team."

Djokovic has made his name as a baseliner, but Martin has been working on his slice and volleys in order to give him more options. "I think it's great that I've improved my slice a lot," Djokovic said. "I have more variety in my shots now. I've gained a lot of confidence there. I've always been a good defensive player and a good baseliner. Now I will try to make my life a little bit easier and improve on my volleys and try to give myself confidence and push myself more to get to the net.

"When you've been a baseliner all your life, to try to get into the routine of playing volleys more often is a process," he admitted. "It's all about work and practice. It's like everything in life. You have to work, work, work. Some day I hope it will work into my routine that I get into the net naturally, without forcing myself."

Nevertheless, Martin's other commitments in the United States limit his availability. The former US Open and Australian Open finalist did not travel to China with Djokovic and may not be at the O2 Arena during next month's Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, although they plan to work together in the Serb's next two tournaments, in Basel and at the Paris Masters, and in the build-up to London.

"He has a lot of obligations," Djokovic said. "He's still very active and he's a father of three kids. It's hard to find the right times, but we're doing well now. We try to make compromises over who is going to work with me where. Generally I think it will be Todd I'll work with when I go to the States and Marian when I'm in Europe."

Earlier in his career Djokovic had seemed to run out of steam at this stage of the year, but he won the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai last November and is in fine form in the run-up to this year's end-of-season finale, which has since been rebranded as the World Tour Finals.

That represents an impressive turn-around given his poor form at the start of the year, which he put down to a combination of unease with a new racket and self-inflicted pressure. "It started with the Australian Open and defending my title there. I expected too much of myself and it wasn't good, with the racket change and distractions off the court. It all reflected on the court."

Although he had a good season on clay, Djokovic fell in the third round in Paris and went on to lose in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon. His fortunes picked up with the switch to his favoured hard courts and he reached the final and semi-finals of the Cincinnati Masters and US Open respectively, losing to Federer, the eventual champion, on both occasions.

"Since Cincinnati I've been playing great tennis," he said. "Hard courts were always the surface that suited my game most and where I felt most comfortable. It's a good period. It's never too early or too late to find your form. It's a great time to find it now. I think I could have done a better job looking over the season overall. I could have done better in the Grand Slams but, except for a couple of ups and downs, I've had quite a consistent season."

As for losing his No 3 ranking earlier in the year, Djokovic gives credit to Murray for overhauling him. "I didn't think it was basically my fault, so much as Andy Murray's great season," he said. "He deserved to get there."

Playing by numbers:

1: Grand Slam tournaments won by Novak Djokovic (2008 Australian Open)

2: Brothers (Marko, 18, and Djordje, 14, are both promising junior players)

3: Current (and highest) world ranking

4: Masters Series titles won (plus 2008 Tennis Masters Cup)

7: Matches against Andy Murray (won 4, lost 3)

13: Matches against Roger Federer (won 4, lost 9)

14: Singles titles won

19: Matches against Rafael Nadal (won 5, lost 14)

31: Months in world's top 10

84: Matches played in 2009 (more than any other player on the men's tour)

94: Tie-breaks won in career (lost 48)

251: Career singles victories (86 defeats)

13,901,121: Career earnings in dollars (about £8.5m)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tenn … 09033.html

#75 08-11-2009 20:52:24

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

#15 Basel 2009

http://tennisconnected.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Djokovic-Basel-2.jpg

R1 A.Beck 6-3 7-5
R2 Hernych 6-0 6-0
QF Wawrinka [6] 3-6 7-6 6-2
SF Stepanek [5] 6-7 7-5 6-2
F  Federer [1] 6-4 4-6 6-2

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#76 09-11-2009 16:01:44

asiek

User

Novak Djokovic, what comes to mind about ...

Family "Unity, love and respect."

Brothers "The relationship with them for eternity."

Head advertising "Crazy stuff, I have made. With dancers and jewelry for the breast nipple. "

Jelena Ristic She is the love of my life. "

Beauty "Beast."

Children "The whole purpose of an adult life."

Serbian Humor "The Serbian humor is very good. Even if the people here do not know him, perhaps. Something unusual, and getting used to, but good. "

Swiss Indoors "A tournament is a great triumph for me (laughs). Until now. "

Fondue "Ah, yes. Fondue and, uh, raclette heißts. Two of my favorite Swiss courts. I'm really very happy. "

Pizza "The specialty of the Italians and that of my parents. They've got a restaurant for pizza, and pancakes. I swear it. "

Rafa "A great personality. Very enthusiastic and a very fair player. "

Roger "Roger who? (laughs mischievously) Roger Federer? Okay, okay. This is the best ever. "

Co to za reklama???

Ostatnio edytowany przez asiek (09-11-2009 16:05:47)

#77 14-11-2009 23:45:13

jaccol55

Administrator

The BNP Paribas Masters is down to the semis. But we know that most non-Gallic eyes will be focused on the Bercy semi featuring Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, while Gael Monfils will thrill the home crowd with his Gumby meets Mr. Incredible act. A win by Djokovic further fuels his resurgent fall, and does anyone tread water better than Djokovic, who occupies that no. 3 position on the ATP Tour as if it were built for it?

For a few years now, Djokovic has given the numeral 3 new and enhanced credibility; in fits and starts, he's made the ATP rankings race a three-horse affair, reminding us of the heyday of Bjorn Borg, Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe. He appears to have inspired a host of imitators, he's done the job so well. There's Andy Murray, and Juan Martin del Potro along with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, to all of whom the number 3 now must have special appeal. These days in tennis, the third-highest mountain in tennis is no molehill. And in tennis, you have to climb that one before you set your sights on K-2, and ultimately Everest.

There's a fair amount at stake in Bercy today when Novak meets Rafa, whom he trails in the head-to-head tall by 14-5, each of Djokovic's five wins coming on hard courts, all in Masters 1000 events. But as important as it has seemed these past few months for Djokovic to resist the allure of the Best Supporting Actor role (something into which he slipped in a distressingly comfortable way all the way through the US Open), the other big question looming is how a win or loss might impact a potential Nadal vs. Roger Federer showdown in about a week, in London, in the last ATP event of the year.

Enjoy the tennis, and feel free to discuss it here.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/index.html

#78 15-11-2009 18:55:18

Fed-Expresso

Masta

#16) TMS Paryż-Bercy 2009

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/023A1YG4kj807/232x301.jpg?center=0.5,0

R48 Bye
R32 J.Monaco 6/3 7/5
R16 A.Clement 6/2 6/2
QF  R.Soderling(9) 6/4 1/6 6/3
SF  R.Nadal(2)  6/2 6/3
W  G.Monfils(15) 6/2 5/7 7/6

Ostatnio edytowany przez Fed-Expresso (15-11-2009 19:27:15)

#79 17-11-2009 15:31:13

Serenity

User

OFF COURT - CREDIT SUISSE AND ROGER FEDERER ENTER LONG-TERM PARTNERSHIP

Credit Suisse today announced a long-term partnership agreement with Roger Federer. The world’s top tennis player, Roger Federer has won 15 Grand Slam titles and 61 singles tournaments. In an exclusive video interview, Roger Federer discusses the importance of teamwork in his sport and what drives him to achieve excellence.

As part of the partnership agreement, Credit Suisse will make a significant annual contribution to the Roger Federer Foundation, which is dedicated to helping disadvantaged children and to promoting education, sports and play, particularly in Africa. This commitment underscores the importance of corporate citizenship to both Roger Federer and to Credit Suisse.

Brady Dougan, Chief Executive Officer of Credit Suisse Group, said: “Credit Suisse is delighted and proud to be associating ourselves closely with Roger Federer – one of the greatest tennis players of all time, known and admired worldwide. Our decision to enter into a long-term partnership is driven by the fact that Roger represents the values that we embrace as a bank. He has a passion for excellence and is a great player. He has achieved this through a combination of hard work and determination. He brings all of his talent to bear in his play and raises the level of his game to meet the challenge in even the most trying of circumstances. At the same time he sets an example for responsible conduct both on and off the court. We also particularly share his passion for giving back to the community through his sponsoring of educational initiatives and look forward to supporting his charitable foundation.”

Roger Federer said: "I am excited about this opportunity to act as a global ambassador for Credit Suisse. They have been an important and trusted banking partner with me for a long time and I admire their passion for excellence. I also value Credit Suisse's substantial support for my foundation. I look forward to our ongoing partnership and helping make a contribution to the bank's continued success."

http://www.rogerfederer.com/en/rogers/n … NewsID=986

#80 17-11-2009 15:46:18

jaccol55

Administrator

Jakby się komuś nudziło...

Steve Flink: Djokovic Continues to Shine

If the BNP Paribas Masters event in Paris demonstrated one inescapable fact above and beyond anything else, it was this: as another long and exacting season draws near to a conclusion, predicting the fate of the leading players is an unenviable task. Consider what happened at this tournament, which was the ninth and last Masters 1000 tournament of 2009. Out went world No. 1 Roger Federer in a startling second round meeting with world No. 49 Julien Benneteau. On the same day, Rafael Nadal somehow survived five match points to oust Nicolas Almagro. Later that night, No. 4 seed Andy Murray was pushed close to his outer limits before stopping a seemingly resurgent James Blake in a final set tie-break.

It was that kind of a week. The favorites were never far from jeopardy. Close observers of the sport were following it all with some bewilderment and an awful lot of intrigue. All of the players seemed to sense that it was a time to strike up opportunities, a moment to seize the initiative, a chance to step up and be counted. But when all was said and done, some order was plainly restored as the game’s most successful player since the U.S. Open added not only weight to his reputation, but also collected his first Masters 1000 crown of the year and his fifth tournament win of the season. Novak Djokovic--- who has now been victorious in 18 of his last 19 matches and ten in a row--- garnered his third championship trophy in his last four tournaments, a substantial feat that will send him into the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals with a clear sense that he should not doubt his chances to defend that esteemed title.

In the final at Paris on the indoor hard courts, Djokovic seemed headed for a decisive triumph. He had crushed Nadal 6-2, 6-3 the day before with the best two sets I have ever seen him string together. Displaying the same kind of panache at the outset of his contest with the charismatic Gael Monfils, the 22-year-old Serbian was a joy to behold. He moved his first serve around skillfully, took calculated risks with daring second serves, and was unstoppable off the ground. His two-handed backhand was sharp and punishing, both down the line and crosscourt. But it was off the forehand wing that he took utter control of the match.

As was the case against Nadal, Djokovic was firing away relentlessly off that side, aiming close to the lines, going inside-out at all the right times, driving the ball acutely crosscourt with devastating accuracy and control. He was masterful in his execution, and a shaken Monfils was out of sorts, missing badly off his forehand side as Djokovic peppered that wing with uninhibited and stellar ball striking. In sweeping through the opening set, Djokovic won 16 of 19 points on serve, broke a dispirited Monfils twice, and closed out the set commandingly when the Frenchman double faulted at 2-5 and set point down.

Djokovic stormed to a 3-0 lead in the second set, breaking Monfils in the second game with a crafty low crosscourt forehand passing shot that Monfils could not handle on the forehand volley. Djokovic was on the edge of breaking the match wide open. With Monfils serving in the fourth game, Djokovic was twice at deuce before his adversary held on with a pair of aces. Djokovic moved swiftly to a 3-1, 30-0 lead but then completely miss-hit a routine forehand long. On the next point, he netted a forehand down the line pass he could well have made, and at 30-30 he inexplicably pulled a forehand crosscourt wide. Down break point for the first time, he controlled the entire point, approached the net, only to bungle a backhand volley.

Suddenly, Monfils was alive, the crowd was ignited, and Djokovic was no longer brimming with confidence. Monfils is a spectacular athlete, one of the most emotional competitors in tennis, and a man who relishes playing in his home country in front of an audience of unabashed admirers. He held at love for 3-3, and now he had officially joined the battle. Both men held over the next four games, but Djokovic was wavering, his ego sorely deflated, his game falling into disrepair. Serving at 5-5, down break point, Djokovic missed his first serve and Monfils--- so timid on the return up until then--- ran around his backhand and laced a forehand return down the line into the corner. Djokovic had no answer. Improbably, Monfils was ahead 6-5.

Benefitting from a cluster of backhand mistakes from the sagging Serbian, Monfils easily served out the set. Yet Djokovic quickly reassembled his game at the start of the third and final set. He found his range again off the forehand by going for winners more selectively and covering his shots with more topspin. After holding at 15 for 1-0, he won the most dynamic point of the match to break serve in the second game. Djokovic and Monfils waged war from the back of the court in a rally consuming no fewer than 43 strokes. Near the end of that sparkling exchange, Djokovic drew Monfils up to the net with a well executed backhand crosscourt drop shot. Monfils went down the line off the backhand, and Djokovic responded by rolling a low trajectory topspin lob over the backhand side of Monfils.

Monfils managed to lunge and poke a high backhand volley crosscourt, but he was in a bind. Djokovic managed to get around and play a penetrating forehand with Monfils retreating from the net. The Frenchman drove a forehand half volley well over the baseline. Djokovic was ascendant again, ahead 2-0 in the third set. In the third game, however, he tightened up again, double faulting to make it 30-30, impatiently pulling a forehand wide at 30-40. The two players were back on serve, but Monfils faltered again. From 15-30 in the following game, he double faulted twice to allow Djokovic the luxury of a 3-1 lead. This time, Djokovic served a love game, surging to 4-1.

Surely, he would close out the match emphatically from there. But that was not the case. Monfils was still playing almost entirely defense, and the only way he could win points quickly was with his big first serve. At 1-4, Monfils played was all over the emotional map. He served two aces for 30-0, threw in a pair of double faults for 30-30, then held on with another ace and an unanswerable first serve. Still, Djokovic was ahead 4-2, needing only two more holds to seal the title. But he lost his nerve in the seventh game, and allowed a game yet weary Monfils back into the match once more.

Serving at 4-2, 30-30, Djokovic released a strong first serve that Monfils could only block back into play without much on it. Djokovic was stationed right where he wanted to be for the inside-out forehand, but he missed it long. At break point down, he feebly double faulted into the net. Match on again.

From 4-4, both players kept their nerves well in check, and held their serves without undue difficulty. They moved on to a concluding tie-break, a fitting way to settle the outcome of a match of wildly fluctuating fortunes. In that sequence, after all of the momentum shifts, after all of the excitement, Djokovic at last confirmed his superiority. The tie-break went with serve through the first five points, with Djokovic taking a 3-2 lead. Serving at 2-3, Monfils became uncharacteristically aggressive, but Djokovic defended ably. Monfils was off the mark with a forehand, giving Djokovic a crucial 4-2 lead. Monfils cracked an un-returnable first serve to make it 4-3 for his opponent.

Djokovic undoubtedly knew how critical the next points would be, but kept his composure and focus admirably. At 4-3, he sparred with Monfils in another bruising rally, this one lasting 34 strokes. He ran around his backhand for a crackling forehand, provoking an error off the forehand of Monfils. It was 5-3. The next point featured a 21 stroke exchange. Monfils drew Djokovic up to the net, but Djokovic was ready. He played a semi-drop volley short down the line, knew that Monfils could only scrape that ball back down the line, and closed in for a high forehand volley winner.

Now it was triple match point. Despite his many missed opportunities, Djokovic was right where he had always wanted to be. Monfils was spent. He double faulted long. Match to Djokovic 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (3). When it was over, Djokovic understandably needed to release all of the tension he had carried inside of him for such a large chunk of the match. He screamed out in relief, sat down at his courtside chair and screamed again, and then hugged his coach Marian Vajda and his parents in their seats. It was a highly significant win for the Serbian, who had fallen four times without a compensating victory earlier this year in Masters 1000 events, losing to Murray in Miami, Nadal at Monte Carlo and Rome, and Federer in Cincinnati.

But his exultation and relief stretched beyond that stream of defeats. Had he failed to halt a game Monfils despite having victory within his grasp so frequently, it would have been a devastatingly penetrating defeat, a loss that might have scarred him for a long while, a setback that would have had lasting implications. Instead, despite his baffling insecurity from the middle of the second set on, Djokovic righted his ship, regrouped several times, and kept imposing his game and his will on his determined yet outplayed opponent. He refused to stop believing in himself, and carved out a hard fought and well deserved triumph over not only Monfils but his own inner demons.

Against Nadal in the semifinals, Djokovic was absolutely composed and purposeful, and in that instance he suffered no lapses, never allowing Nadal to get his teeth into the contest. Up until 2-2 in the opening set, it seemed entirely possible that these two formidable rivals--- meeting for the 20th time in their career series which started in 2006--- would have a long and hard struggle. But Djokovic had other notions. He swept seven games in a row and never looked back. In the last four games of the opening set, he won 16 of 17 points.

Maintaining that level of concentration and supreme execution off the ground--- Nadal seldom had a chance to dictate a rally, and Djokovic was on song throughout--- Djokovic swept 13 of 17 points to establish a 3-0 second set lead. Although Nadal managed to hold serve the rest of the way, Djokovic was unrelenting, refusing to allow Nadal a break point opportunity. He won convincingly 6-2, 6-3, finishing his near masterpiece appropriately with a forehand down the line winner.

Since his comeback in August after knee injuries kept him out of Wimbledon, Nadal has now played six tournaments, reaching four semifinals, one final and one quarterfinal. He has lost twice to Juan Martin Del Potro, twice to Djokovic, once against Nikolay Davydenko and once to Marin Cilic. But this was his most comprehensive defeat. And yet, he was not discouraged, at least outwardly. The day before, Nadal had played an inspired match to beat defending champion Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5, 7-5, breaking his rival at 5-5 in both sets, holding his serve throughout, and moving freely and explosively from beginning to end. He looked slightly dazed by Djokovic’s combination of outstanding ball control and his rival’s power, but that was justifiable; Djokovic kept the rallies relatively short, prevented Nadal from establishing any rhythm, and was impenetrable on the day.

Although Nadal was hoping to win his first title since the Italian Open in May, and looking to close the gap considerably between himself and Federer in the race for No. 1 in the world, he realized he could have fared a lot worse. Against Almagro, he was so passive and his forehand was so shaky that he nearly suffered an abysmal loss. Almagro--- who had never taken a set off Nadal in four previous meetings—won the first set, saved two set points at 4-5 in the second set, and served for the match two games later. He reached 6-5, 40-0, triple match point, but in an instant the world No. 2 flicked on an inner switch, and for the first time brightened his outlook and elevated his game decidedly. At last, Nadal was really Nadal.

On the first match point, he made a superb forehand return deep into the corner, provoked a short ball from his countryman, and moved in to drive a low forehand into the clear for a winner. The next point lasted 13 strokes and Nadal lured Almagro into a forehand error with a deep crosscourt backhand. Two match points saved, three to go. Now Nadal took charge of the next really, stepping in for an inside-out forehand winner for deuce.

Down match point for the fourth time, Nadal escaped again as Almagro missed an inside-out forehand long. Almagro served an ace for match point No. 5, and Nadal scampered here, there and everywhere, retrieving brilliantly, using his backhand slice adroitly, biding his time. Almagro finally missed a backhand crosscourt wide on the 19th stroke of the exchange. Nadal broke back for 6-6 with a sparkling forehand crosscourt winner off a short ball. He won that set confidently in a tie-break 7-2, but, after breaking in the opening game of the third, reverted to a shadow of his normal self.

Almagro went ahead 3-1, and then got to 5-3. But he had started cramping in the previous game. Nadal survived, prevailing 3-6, 7-6 (2), 7-5. In his next assignment against Robredo--- another player who had never taken a set from him--- Nadal seemed in good shape when he served with a 6-3, 2-3 lead. But he lost that set. At 4-4 in the third set, Nadal was down break point. He missed his first serve, and then curiously went for a wicked slice serve wide on the second. He missed it by a wide margin, double faulting flagrantly. Robredo was serving for the match at 5-4.

Robredo was twice two points from a stunning upset in that game, but Nadal kept going down the middle with no pace, daring Robredo to come up with the goods to beat him. Robredo was not up to the task. Nadal broke back for 5-5 and finished strong by collecting eight of the last ten points for a 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 victory. From there, he lifted himself up immensely to beat Tsonga, but Djokovic was waiting for him, and that was that.

As for Federer, he did not play a bad match against Benneteau. Playing his first match since losing to Djokovic for the third time in five matches this year in the final at Basle the previous weekend, he lost his serve only once in three sets against the wily Frenchman. Federer was on course for a straight set win, or apparently so. He took the first set 6-3, and both players held serve all through the second, which was settled in a tie-break. In that sequence, the inspired Benneteau did not lose a point on his serve, releasing one ace, a pair of unstoppable deliveries to the backhand, and stifling his opponent with unerring ground strokes hit with excellent depth. Serving at 4-6, Federer was caught off guard when Benneteau took a backhand return early, hit it flat and deep, and approached the net. Federer was rushed into a mistake off the backhand.

In the final set, Benneteau was fueled inordinately by the growing euphoria of his audience. He saved a break point at 0-1 with another penetrating first serve that Federer could not get back into play off the backhand. At 1-1, he broke Federer when the Swiss miss-hit a topspin backhand wide. Benneteau sensed he could win. He advanced to 3-1 and nearly broke a second time, but Federer aced him at break point down and held on. In the sixth game, Benneteau was down 15-40, but he saved those two break points with outright aggression, releasing yet another service winner to the backhand, followed by a crisp forehand volley winner crosscourt.

It was 4-2 for Benneteau, and once more Federer wandered into danger. He fell behind 15-40 on his serve, but his best instincts kicked in. He went in behind an impeccably placed first serve down the T, and used a swing volley to elicit a lob long from Benneteau. A service winner to the backhand saved Federer on the second break point, and he held on for 3-4. Would Benneteau finally realize he was playing unconsciously well, and choke?

The answer was forthcoming. Down 0-30 in the eighth game, he drove a forehand into the clear for a winner, nailed a backhand down the line into another empty space, punched a backhand volley winner, and aced Federer down the T. Just like that, Benneteau moved to 5-3. Two games later, he served for the match. At 30-15, Federer probed as much as he could in a 15th stroke rally, which ended with an explosive Benneteau crosscourt backhand travelling into the corner and out of reach. At 40-15, Benneteau aced Federer down the T. Federer challenged the call, hoping the Hawkeye Technology could save him. But the replay confirmed that the ball was in. Benneteau had played the match of his life to oust the world No. 1, who was only slightly off form.

That win opened up the draw for the fleet-footed and dynamic Monfils. He took apart Benneteau the next day, came from behind to defeat Marin Cilic in a high quality three set showdown, and then held back Radek Stepanek in three tumultuous sets. Monfils served for the match in the second set, did not close it out, but battled tenaciously to take the third, winning 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. Stepanek had attacked ceaselessly, approaching the net no less than 95 times, winning 62 of those points. But it was not enough to get the job done.

Stepanek had produced a significant upset when he beat Murray in the round of 16. Murray had not concluded his long match with Blake until 1:45 in the morning, and here he was back on court the following afternoon. Murray easily took the first set but thereafter looked weary and a step slower than usual. Stepanek hurt him frequently with excellent use of the drop shot, and first rate attacking play. He came away deservedly with a 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 triumph. Meanwhile, U.S. Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro, hindered by an injury, retired at 4-0 down against Stepanek in the first set of their quarterfinal. Gone was another of the favorites.

Yet Djokovic was victorious in the end, standing up proudly for the established guard, reminding all of us that he is a great player when he does not get in his own way. His victory will only heighten interest in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Federer might find a late season spark and capture the event for the fifth time in his illustrious career. Murray will have the British fans cheering his every move, and is fully capable of winning the tournament. Maybe Nadal will assert himself and close his season on the highest possible note. No one is a prohibitive favorite, but the man who is playing the best tennis now among all of the top players is none other than Novak Djokovic.

http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsD … ewsid=6339

Stopka forum

RSS