Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#121 14-01-2011 10:24:19

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Re: Juan Martin del Potro

Del Potro returns with high hopes

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_delpotro_14_02.jpg

Juan Martin Del Potro, the US Open 2009 champion, successfully negotiated his way around Hisense Arena in his first practice session at Melbourne Park in 2011.

The long-limbed Argentine, who made his long-awaited return from a wrist injury at the Medibank International in Sydney this week, threw his 6ft 6ins frame around the Australian Open's No.2 roofed court, testing out every shot in his arsenal, his famous forehand in particular, as he aims to hit top form ahead of the opening round next week.

Having sent shock waves rippling through the game with his maiden Grand Slam triumph at Flushing Meadows two years ago, 2010 was a year fraught with delays for the former world No.4. Injuring his wrist during a match at the Kooyong round robin last year, Del Potro put himself through four gruelling matches at Melbourne Park, eventually losing in five sets to Marin Cilic in the fourth round. The Australian Open appearance proved to be the only competitive matches that the Argentine was able to play all year, as his return from injury was put off again, and again, and again.

Thus it was no surprise that all eyes were on the no-longer-sleeveless Del Potro as he defeated Feliciano Lopez in the opening round in Sydney, before losing to Florian Mayer in the second round. Now ranked No.259, the former US Open champ will be keen to mark his return to form in emphatic style, but to do so he will have to get past feisty Israeli Dudi Sela in his first round match. The pair have met three times in competition, all on hard courts. Del Potro won the two most recent encounters, in Tokyo in September 2008, and in Washington in August 2008, while Sela picked up the first in Tokyo in 2007.

The unseeded Del Potro is in the top half of the draw alongside world No.1 Rafael Nadal, and, should his body hold up, could meet fifth seed Andy Murray in the fourth round.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 21874.html

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#122 18-01-2011 20:16:53

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

Q. How good does it feel to be back in a Grand Slam arena after so much frustration for you?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, I feel good. Is nice for me be here with these players, this tournament, and of course playing a Grand Slam.

Today I play good tennis again. But I'm really enjoying this week. I met with all the players, especially the top 10 players. They support me when I was very bad. So now I face to face with them and I say thank you.

Q. Did you have to change your technique a little bit to put less pressure on your wrist?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I trying to not. I feel in good shape again. I work very hard with my physical trainer. I need time to play harder and to play stronger. But just I need time.

Sometimes some balls I play, I hit very, very far, and sometimes not. But with time and with training and with focus in every practice, I will take again.

Q. Have you become a very patient person? Usually young people are impatient; they want to see everything very quickly.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yeah, I know the way to be with good ranking again. But it's a long road. I need to work very hard because all the players are very tough at this moment. All players playing good tennis, especially here in the five set matches.

But I'm still improving my game. I feel good with my wrist. That's important to training every day and to feel comfortable for the next tournaments.

Q. Can you describe this last year with your injury.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I had a very bad year. For three or four months nobody knows about my wrist. I think that's a bad thing for my mind. But after the surgery, the doctor say between four and six months you will be playing again. I was very, very quiet. Because if I do my step by step very quiet, I will be playing again. That's what is happen now.

I have a good start season. I beat Feliciano López last week and today I won another match. That's what I need. I need time, I need matches, I need sets, I need hours into the court. Then in the future, I will be better.

Q. You talked about the support of the fellow top 10 players. How did they support you? Did they call you or send messages?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Everything. They call me and they send an emails, everything. It's important. They have all his schedule very close, very completed. Sometimes if you got his callings, is good because they are thinking about you and about yourself. So I just want to say thank you to all of them. For me it's good playing against them again.

Q. Was someone calling you or writing you more than others, better friends you have on the circuit?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: My better friends are in Tandil. I don't know. With one matches is good, is enough to feel they support. I don't care if Federer send me ten message and Rafa send me two. The important thing, it's they send to me and they was thinking about me. So I just want to say thank you.

I was watching his matches in my home. I'm really want to congratulate all of them because they are making amazing tennis for the fans and for the players, too.

Q. I know you have to play more matches, but do you feel as strong now as you were when you won the US Open?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I don't think so. I say last week I have this present today from this tournament. To my future, I will try my best. I don't want to think in the past. I won a Grand Slam, but I'm working to improve my game. I don't know if I can play like two years ago or not, but I will try.

Every practicing, every day, I speak with Franco. If he say, Make hundred service, I will do it for be good with myself. I'm trying to improve every day. I'm trying to fight with the top 10 players again.

Q. What is the most difficult thing for you now that you've been away for such a long time?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Everything. Everything is difficult. But I am really enjoy be here again. I know maybe two years ago, play against 200 players, feel good. But this is my present. If I play against Rafa or if I play against 50 different player, I will feel I don't know very complicated. It just depends my game. It just depends my mind, my physic.

I know the way to win matches, but I need time to do it.

Q. Do you realize there were only two players who won a slam out of the last 23 slams? One was you and the other was Djokovic. Is that something you almost don't believe today or something that gives you pride and hope that you'll be back?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: I already won my Grand Slam. Djokovic, too. But maybe Murray, Novak, Soderling, now they have the game to beat Rafa and Roger.

I am very far away, but I'm working to be in that level in the future. I'm trying to beat Rafa and Roger in same Grand Slam to win another one.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 68042.html

#123 18-01-2011 21:25:45

jaccol55

Administrator

Big Blue

http://blogs.tennis.com/.a/6a00d83451599e69e20148c7be769e970c-320wi

by Pete Bodo

Can a first-set tiebreaker determine the course of a match? A tournament? A year? A career? Such questions are tempting on the heels of Juan Martin del Potro's first-round win at the Australian Open yesterday, and while we'd better leave the latter three of those questions alone, it seems pretty obvious that Delpo's 7-6 (15-13) first set against a game Dudi Sela deflated the loser and boosted Delpo's confidence, enabling him to roll through the next two sets tidily: 6-4, 6-4.

U.S. readers may understand and even smile at the thought of calling del Potro Big Blue, that sobriquet having been on lease to the New York Football Giants for decades now. But the cognomen isn't apt merely because Delpo is big (6-6) and perpetually seems to be dressed in blue or some shade thereof. He also plays a brand of tennis comparable to the style of football that earned the Giants the "Big Blue" acknowledgment. It's essentially smash-mouth football, or tennis, and Delpo was a master of it until last year at this time, when a wrist injury during this same tournament forced him into what would ultimately become a full year off.

Which brings us to a few more "big" and "blue" themes. When del Potro first burst upon our radar in 2008, it was in a big way. Although he won his first ATP tour title in Adelaide in 2007 and ultimately ended up the youngest player in the Top 50 (he was just a shade over 19) for the year, he simply blew up halfway through the following year.

In the summer of 2008, he won titles on clay in Stuttgart and Kitzbuhel and, without missing a beat, moved to hard courts and bagged the championships at Los Angeles and Washington D.C. In one of those hard court events, he accomplished something of which few players are capable: He overpowered Andy Roddick. There are a fair number of ways to beat Roddick, but blasting through him isn't usually one of them.

Delpo's streak continued, against all odds and, to some degree, contrary to all we thought we knew about how tough it is to excel on successive days and in consecutive events during the debilitating dog days of July and August, before a body wilts. The run finally ended at the U.S. Open, where Andy Murray throttled Delpo in the quarterfinals.

By then, we'd noticed a few other things about the surprisingly quick and unexpectedly durable native of Tandil, Argentina. His demeanor and the image he projected were those not just of a gentle, slump-shouldered giant, but one whose undemonstrative personality hinted at a touch of depression. He often seemed blue. He'd told us that were he not a tennis player, he would have pursued a career in architecture, a revelation that was both refreshing (imagine that, a tennis player who didn't suspect that down deep he's another Ronaldo!) and understandable, given that an architect can spend much time dreamily locked within his own mind, building fabulous things.

Still, Delpo is more Harold Solomon than Harold Roark, so it was not exactly surprising when, his wrist injury having become a much bigger issue than first thought, reports circulated last year that Delpo was suffering from anxiety and perhaps even bouts of depression.

What could we expect? One moment, the guy is pounding Roger Federer into oblivion in the U.S. Open final (2009), the next he's back home in Tandil, unable to swing a racket. Not only did Delpo miss a chance to defend his first major, he didn't even get a chance to win or lose in one following his moment of triumph. He had plenty of reason to be blue. In his press conference yesterday, he said: "I had a very bad year. For three or four months nobody knows about my wrist. I think that's a bad thing for my mind."

Del Potro returned to competition late last year and, after playing poorly and losing two first-rounders in Asia, pulled the plug on 2010. He went back to the drawing board after a humiliating 6-3, 6-0 loss to Feliciano Lopez in Tokyo. In his first match of this new year, he battered that same opponent through three grueling hours in Sydney before finally punching through, winning two of three tiebreakers. That win took a lot out of him (Delpo would lose his next match in desultory fashion to Florian Mayer), but it turned out those three 'breakers were good practice for Sela. When they reached 6-all in that first-set tiebreaker (with Sela wiping away a set point with a service winner), they were less than halfway to the point of resolution.

The tiebreaker is an interesting and daunting challenge for a player who isn't in peak competitive form, and there's no way a pro can get into that degree of shape simply through practice. The sparring partner could be Rafael Nadal or Federer, it doesn't matter. The synapses fire and the nerves sing in entirely different ways when it really counts, and both players know it.

So Delpo's ability to win a tiebreaker against a tricky, sometimes Santoro-esque rival, after having been down five set points was, in its own right, a herculean achievement that probably earned a much larger return than is usually warranted from such a brief investment of time and energy. The moment he cracked that giant forehand crosscourt winner, you could almost see Delpo issue an enormous sigh of relief and hear him think: I can do this, I really can!

What I liked about Delpo's game was that he continued to hit -- or tried to hit -- a big ball, even when he was in a tight jam. At times he didn't get adequate depth on his groundstrokes, which is critically important for him and a virtue that played the major role in his upset of Federer in the 2009 U.S. Open final. You can pin that down to nerves and the inhibitions bred by lack of exposure to stress.

At other times, Delpo appeared somewhat sluggish, which could not have been attributed to his degree of fitness, despite Delpo having confessed that he wasn't in ideal shape when he tried to make his original comeback last fall. So the sleepy quality had to be nerves again, and/or a lack of that instant response reaction that comes from competitive seasoning. Even a naturally quick player can appear slow or flat-footed when he's not utterly, neurologically immersed in a match.

But the important thing is that Delpo endured; he struggled, hung in there, sloughed off the pressure when Sela held set points, kept his frustration and concentration in check when he blew opportunities of his own (none of them in a way that might induce a roll of the eyes, unusual in a tiebreaker featuring a total of nine set points), and he got plenty of stick on the ball on some critical occasions, including the set-ender.

Delpo's game and career are presently like one of those giant 1,000 piece puzzles. You know from the box what the completed picture is meant to look like, but it's hard to get started, to find among those thousand pieces a few that can be identified as part of this or that portion of the landscape and fit together. Delpo isn't expecting miracles, even if some of his fans are. As he said, "I know the way to win matches. I just need time to do it."

Yesterday, it seeemed, Delpo found a few of those pieces and began to put the puzzle together. I think the pieces he found were from the top of the puzzle, pieces of a big, blue sky.

http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/201 … -blue.html

#124 19-01-2011 20:15:09

jaccol55

Administrator

Del Potro was gone but not forgotten by Federer, Nadal

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/1739.jpg

Juan Del Potro is marveling after rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal both kept in touch during his long months of 2010 rehabilitation on a wrist injury which resulted in his forced exile from tennis.

The 2009 US Open champion revealed that he received communications during his convalescence from May surgery from both of the world's top two.

The Argentine played his last match at the Australian Open a year ago and underwent an aborted return attempt in October after surgery in May. The one-time No. 4 who beat Federer for the New 2009 York Grand Slam title, finally resumed play this month has reached the second round at Melbourne Park.

"They call me, they sent e-mails, everything," said Del Potro of Federer and Nadal's concern. "It's important. They all have very tight, complicated schedules. If they call it shows they are thinking about you, so I just want to say thank you to all of them.

"For me it's good playing against them again. It's enough just to feel their support. I don't care if Federer sent me 10 messages and Rafa sent me two. The important thing is they sent them and they were thinking about me.

"I watched their matches at home. I really want to congratulate them because they are producing amazing tennis for the fans -- and for the players too."

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110 … rer,_Nadal

#125 20-01-2011 18:15:56

jaccol55

Administrator

Del Potro Departs

http://blogs.tennis.com/.a/6a00d83451599e69e20148c7cf71b8970c-800wi

Disagreement is the name of the game in tennis, however far and wide you travel. I was sitting in a coffee shop a few mornings ago near Melbourne Park, happily attempting not to think about the sport for a few minutes, when I heard two American women at the next table discussing which matches they wanted to see at the Australian Open. They, of course, couldn’t agree on anything. They had very strong, and very contradictory, opinions about each player who came up.

“Did you see the hideous dress she was wearing?”

“He’s totally obnoxious.”

“That screeching.”

“He’s fun to watch, but I know you don’t like him.”

Finally, they found someone upon which they could both nod their heads in unison.

“We have to go see del Potro.”

“Definitely.”

There’s something about Juan Martin del Potro that tennis fans and player and writers and commentators like (actually, I do know one person who doesn’t dig the Argentine, but I won’t reveal her name here). He once had bad hair, and he used to take an interminable amount of time to decide whether he was going to challenge a call. But absence has made the collective heart grow fonder. Everyone feels for a guy who had a massive career breakthrough at the 2009 U.S. Open only to see his career go up in smoke for a year. Del Potro said he was stunned by how many get-well messages he received from fellow players.

The sympathy didn’t stop with his colleagues. I was watching on my monitor in the press room last night when del Potro’s racquet flew out of his hand, and it looked for a second like his surgically repaired wrist was about to become unrepaired (it didn't). The Channel 7 commentators, Jim Courier and John Fitzgerald, sounded crushed for him. I would have been crushed for him as well if something had gone wrong. He’s the kind of guy you can feel crushed for.

Del Potro’s appeal rests with his transparent yet dignified emotionalism. He doesn’t wear his heart way out on his sleeve, but there’s no hiding how he feels, either; how many other tennis players can express melancholy? The Argentines are high strung as a group, and they very often let their emotions get the better of their games. Yesterday David Nalbandian seemed dead set on staying as enraged as possible for as long as he possible after someone in the crowd disturbed him as he was hitting an overhead. Nalbandian never recovered. He lost seven straight games and retired—due to annoyance, it seemed, as much as anything else—in the third set against Ricardas Berankis.

There are days when del Potro seems to shrink from the battle and even mope—Davis Cup final 2008, final of the World Tour Final 2009—but for the most part he puts his emotions to good use. Rather than hop off the court and pump his fist and stare at his coach after the first game, à la Lleyton Hewitt or Gael Monfils, del Potro stays quiet, broods, stews, and then lets loose with a furious display. Some nights he waits too long to rev himself up. Even in his U.S. Open win, it took him nearly two sets to show anything; he was almost done before he dug himself into the match. The same was true last night. Del Potro had break chances in the first set, but that’s where the rust showed. He couldn’t finish them. He seemed tentative in general at first, but by the third he was fully into it. More important, though, the rust showed in his movement. Whenever del Potro gave his opponent, Marcos Baghdatis, any kind of angle, he was toast. Baghdatis had him coming and going, crosscourt and down the line. Del Potro couldn’t catch up to either.

Del Potro’s long road back has begun. I thought it was promising. He at least looked like the same player, with the same strokes and same heavy power, and he can still get around a tennis court pretty well for a big guy. I’m sure he wondered whether he would ever do any of those things again during his time away. We can all agree—it’s a start.

The man who ended del Potro’s beginning, Baghdatis, looked sharp and . . . light. He’s dropped a few pounds, and it shows. He’s always had the timing. If he’s getting to the ball half a step earlier, the way he was tonight, that ball-striking ability will make him dangerous. His next match, against Jurgen Melzer, should be an entertaining one. It’s also a winnable one. Then he would face Andy Murray. Baghdatis’s Cypriot support has been out again in 2011. Whole families will come to see him, not just young rowdies—though there are plenty of those in attendance. Baghdatis says it’s like playing “in his kitchen,” with the extended family all around. It would be nice to see him get cooking here again. Baghdatis does wear his heart on his sleeve, but as with Juan Martin del Potro, most of us can agree: We want to see him doing well.

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2011/01 … parts.html

#126 20-01-2011 19:08:25

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Pierwszy miesiąc po powrocie na korty już za Juanem. Uważam, że nie było źle. 2 porażki (Mayer w Sydney i Baghdatis na AO) nie były zaskoczeniem, wszak przegrywał z zawodnikami dużo wyżej od siebie w tej chwili notowanymi, niemniej styl tych porażek też nie był jakiś żałosny, a po walce.

Teraz Del Potro poważnie osunie się w rankingu i na dobre będzie mógł rozpocząć ponowną wspinaczkę. Do końca sezonu już nic nie broni. Oby zdrowie dopisało.

Bilans gier w styczniu: 2-2.

Powodzenia

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#127 22-01-2011 23:42:34

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po porażce w 2 rundzie

Q. How is your wrist? Anything to worry about there?
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No. Just for safety because I did a bad movement on the serve, and that's just be safer for the rest of the match.

Q. What are your thoughts about the match, how you're progressing with your game?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Well, is difficult to say now how I'm feeling. Marcos playing very well since a couple years ago.

Every player for me at this moment, it's very tough. But I'm still improving. I'm playing better than Sydney. I think that's positive for the next tournaments.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 29475.html

#128 22-01-2011 23:43:29

Serenity

User

AO 2011 - wywiad po porażce w 2 rundzie

Q. You must be feeling pretty good about your game, the way you're playing.
MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Especially today. I had a not so good first round match. I had to fight out there. I won that one today. With my coach, I think we put a great tactic in place and it worked pretty well.

Q. You've had a lot of long matches here. This could have easily been another one. Nice to finish it in quick time.

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: For sure. It's nice to finish matches early to keep some energy for the next rounds of the tournament.

But, yeah, for sure.

Q. Are you feeling plenty of crowd support as well?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: It's great. Every time I come here, I feel great. It feels like I can say my living room. Rod Laver, I played so many matches. I feel so good there. I feel like home. So, yeah.

Q. How far do you think you can progress?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Take it match per match. I won today. It's a great victory for me. Just go relax today and start thinking about my next opponent tomorrow or maybe tomorrow night.

Q. What do you think about Jurgen Melzer? You're playing him the first time ever.

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: Yeah, I think so. I never played him before. He's playing pretty good. Lefty.

Like I said, I'm not at that match yet. You know, I just won a great match today. I played really good. Go talk with my coach about what I did well, what I have to improve, then start talking about Melzer tomorrow.

Q. Where do you see your level right now? How close to your best form that you had before?

MARCOS BAGHDATIS: I'm improving every year, like all the players are improving. I can say I'm playing the best tennis of my life every year. So I cannot say, you know. Everybody's improving. Tennis is changing. It's not like 2006. Everything is moving.

I think I'm in good shape, best shape.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/new … 43469.html

#129 02-02-2011 00:54:47

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Del Potro, zgodnie z oczekiwaniami, poleciał na łeb na szyję w rankingu. Jest dziś 485 i na tę chwilę niżej chyba nie upadnie. Mistrz US Open 2009 rozegra teraz 3 turnieje na kortach twardych w Ameryce Północnej. W San Jose zagra dzięki rankingowi chronionemu (pierwszy turniej, gdzie korzysta z tego przywileju, przed sezonem FAQ ATP przewidywało dla takiego gracza 9 turniejowych szans na skorzystanie z "PR"), a organizatorzy ATP Memphis i DB przyznali mu dziką kartę (poszli w ślady włodarzy turnieju ATP w Sydney).

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#130 23-02-2011 17:22:33

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

150 wygranych meczów del Potro.

Argentine Juan Martin del Potro earned his 150th match win on Tuesday at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships, as he dismissed up-and-coming Lithuanian Richard Berankis 6-4, 6-1.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … vance.aspx

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#131 28-02-2011 00:03:17

jaccol55

Administrator

... po półtorarocznej przerwie.

#8) Delray Beach 2011

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/183ABA27C1364009BC79C622C1D815F3.ashx

Juan startował w turnieju dzięki przepustce Special Exempt.

R32 Richard Berankis (LTU) 6-4 6-1
R16 Teymuraz Gabashvili (RUS) 6-1 6-1
QF [5] Kevin Anderson (RPA) 6-4 6-4
SF [2] Mardy Fish (USA) 6-1 7-5
F [6] Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) 6-4 6-4

Przez cały turniej nie stracił nawet seta. Gratulacje!

#132 28-02-2011 21:32:01

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Del Potro breaks title drought

http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport/20110228/25/5766ee47a462b009bdfa9e2d2a022a55.jpg

Juan Martin del Potro won his first title since 2009 by defeating Janko Tipsarevic 6-4 6-4 to clinch the

Argentine Del Potro, who played just three tournaments in 2010 because of an injury to his right wrist, needed just under two hours to claim his eighth career title.

"It's amazing for me, this comeback," Del Potro said in a courtside interview. "I'm trying to improve my game day-by-day and today Janko played better than me but I had a little luck in the important moments."

Del Potro, once ranked fourth in the world but now 166 because of his injury, appeared out of gas in the opening set but got stronger as the match progressed.

"I was playing at night, every match," said Del Potro, who will crack the top 100 when the next rankings are released. "And today was a little bit hot for me. I just tried to focus on my serve, especially on my break points."

Del Potro broke the 26-year-old Tipsarevic three times in five break-point chances, denying the Serb a chance at his first career title.

When Tipsarevic, seeded sixth, punched a forehand wide to end the match, Del Potro raised his arms and looked skyward before dropping his racket and kissing his once-injured wrist.

Del Potro, 22, fought off 10 of 11 break points by Tipsarevic to claim his first tournament since defeating Roger Federer to win the 2009 US Open.
Reuters

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/28022011/58/ … ought.html

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#133 10-03-2011 20:20:01

Kazik

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Robin Soderling

"Calm" Del Potro Taking Things In His Stride

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/DAFDEAC5710344ABB6431338F2A61765.ashx

Juan Martin del Potro’s comeback to the ATP World Tour has been gathering pace over the past few weeks and the Argentine begins his BNP Paribas Open campaign on Thursday afternoon with a first-round clash against Radek Stepanek.

The 22-year-old del Potro was restricted to just three tournaments in 2010 due to a right wrist injury, for which he underwent surgery in May. The former World No. 4 began the season at No. 258 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings, but has clawed his way back up to No. 90 this week after strong showings in the United States in February, which included winning his first title since the 2009 US Open with victory in Delray Beach (d. Tipsarevic).

Speaking to Argentine newspaper La Nacion, del Potro said, “I’m quite calm about things. I’m happy that the results are starting to come, but at the same time I’m not relaxing and thinking that I’m back to where I was two years ago. Winning is motivation and I trust in the work I’m doing and my daily training. Also my wrist is feeling better. But I know that it is a long way back and it could take me months, even the whole year.”

Del Potro is making his third appearance in Indian Wells, with his best result a quarter-final showing (l. to Nadal) in 2009. He was beaten in the second round by Richard Gasquet on his debut in 2007. The Tandil native has a 31-19 match record in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 play and has reached one final, finishing runner-up to Andy Murray in Montreal two years ago.

Two American qualifiers complete the ATP World Tour line-up on Stadium 1 on Thursday, with Donald Young to face Italian Potito Starace in the first match and Michael Russell to meet South African Kevin Anderson in the last match of the day.

Thursday Order Of Play

Two of the ATP World Tour’s rising stars are in action on Stadium 3. Tobias Kamke, who was named 2010 ATP World Tour Newcomer of the Year, faces Serbian Janko Tipsarevic, while Lithuanian wild card Richard Berankis will look to notch his first win at ATP World Tour Masters 1000 level when he faces Alex Bogomolov Jr.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … eview.aspx

#134 14-03-2011 17:24:09

Kazik

User

Del Potro feels his comeback is gaining momentum

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/1728.jpg

After six months of false starts and disappointment, Juan Del Potro feels he's back on a sustained winning track after advancing into the third round at the Indian Wells Masters.

The one-time No. 4 whose last major achievement was a 2009 US Open title, of course has no regrets after knocking out holder Ivan Ljubicic in the Californian desert.

"I feel bad that I beat the last champion, but it's a nice victory for my comeback," said the 22-year-old who was sidelined during much of 2010 by wrist surgery. "I played good tennis. I was focused all the match on trying to take my opportunities. I think I played better than him, and that was the key of the match."

The Argentine made several aborted comeback efforts last autumn in Asia, but gave up up the battle until the start of 2011 when it became apparent he was not ready for a full-blown return. Del Potro played just three events last season, but made an key breakthrough with last month's ATP title in Delray Beach.

"I'm playing much better," said the South American. "I have improved my forehand, my serve, my physical condition, everything. It's easier when you win a match. You can improve very fast if you still play (in tournaments) and are still winning."

The San Jose semi-finalist whose ranking is back to 90th from just under 500 in less than a month, added: ""I'm very calm with my level, I know that it's a long road to the top again, but I'm working. I have the game – if I'm healthy. I need time to improve, to work hard. Maybe in a couple of months, maybe next year, I will be ready to play against all of the top players."

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110 … g_momentum

#135 22-03-2011 18:17:26

Kazik

User

Del Potro Confirms Queen's Mission As Comeback Gathers Pace

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/6B23E000809B46AD97B359E564EB0C5E.ashx

Juan Martin Del Potro will continue his impressive comeback from wrist surgery when he plays on grass in the AEGON Championships at The Queen's Club in June. He will do so with the encouraging words of two of tennis’ greatest champions - John McEnroe and Mats Wilander - ringing in his ears.

The Argentine, who won the US Open in 2009, missed eight months of the 2010 season, including the AEGON Championships and Wimbledon. He is looking forward to making up for lost time by taking on the top two tennis players in the world, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, and four-time champion Andy Roddick, at The Queen's Club this year.

“I like London, I played at the AEGON Championships a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it,” said Del Potro. “If you want to be a really good player you have to win on grass courts. I never had good results on grass before so this year could be a chance for me to improve my game on grass at Queen’s and at Wimbledon.  I have to learn many things on that surface but I will be ready to do it. Any tournament I play I want to win and If I can play my best level I think I can do it.”

The 22-year-old man from Tandil in Argentina endured a tough time after sustaining his wrist injury last year, but he has recently returned to the sport, winning the title in Delray Beach, Florida, and reaching the semifinals in Indian Wells. He jumped 39 ranking places to No.51 this week.

“I missed everything - the tournaments, the fans, the stadiums, the other players, I really missed everything,” said Del Potro, who was not even able to defend his US Open crown. “But now I’m here again and I’m trying to play a good level. Everything was difficult after my surgery, but those bad things are the past. Now I am having a good ‘present’, I’m healthy, and if I work and still improve my game, I will have a good future.”

Standing 6’6”, Del Potro hits the ball from the baseline as hard as anyone in the history of the sport, and his comeback has received support from the two former World Number Ones, McEnroe and Wilander.

“I certainly hope he can come back to where he was,” said McEnroe, who won four titles at The Queen’s Club, three Wimbledon crowns and now stars on the ATP Champions Tour.

“It’s important that we have some contenders and when he won the US Open it looked like he was going to be a real, legitimate contender for years to come. He was the first guy of that height that could really stand up to the physicality and bruising you take on a tennis court.  A wrist injury is a tough one to come back from but it would be great to see him come back fully from it. If he can, he can still be a contender."

Wilander is convinced that he will.

“Juan Martin Del Potro is as strong as anyone mentally, and he's got such a big game that if he can stay healthy I do believe he’s going to win many, many more majors (Grand Slam titles) and he’s going to be beating the very best players in the world,” he said.

The AEGON Championships will be broadcast live, every day from 6th-12th June, on BBC Television and Eurosport.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … -Club.aspx

#136 09-04-2011 11:58:49

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Del Potro keen to earn grass wins in Britain

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/1837.jpg

South American ace Juan Del Potro plans to emphasize grass this summer with a vow to lift his game in Britain in time for Wimbledon.

"I like London, I played at Queen's club a couple of years ago - losing four years ago in the second round against Rafael Nadal - and I really enjoyed it. If you want to be a really good player you have to win on grass courts.

"I've never had good results on grass before so this year could be a chance for me to improve my game at Queen's and Wimbledon. I have to learn many things on that surface but I will be ready to do it.

"Any tournament I play I want to win and If I can play my best level I think I can do it."

"Wimbledon (where he has never escaped the second round) is the most important tournament of the year for me."

Del Potro has a modest history on the surface, playing just 11 times at the ATP level on the surface and coming away with six victories.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20110 … in_Britain

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#137 23-04-2011 09:17:18

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Mats Wilander rozmawia na antenie ES z Juanem Martinem del Potro, polecam.

http://www.eurosport.pl/mats-wilander_b … full.shtml

Del Potro Makes Friends With Fellow Argentines At Benfica Football Club

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/12FE84EAC48B4DEA851D834E177488C1.ashx

Former World No. 4 Juan Martin del Potro took time out from his preparations for the Estoril Open on Monday to visit Benfica's Football Club's training ground in Lisbon.

Del Potro was presented with a Benfica shirt and met fellow Argentines and star players at the club, Javier Saviola, Pablo Aimar, Nicolas Gaitan and Franco Jara.

Del Potro, the tournament's eighth seed and 2009 US Open champion, is scheduled to meet Portuguese qualifier Pedro Sousa on Tuesday.

Benfica were crowned Taca de Portugal champions with a 2-1 victory over Pacos Ferreira at the weekend. The team is also in the UEFA Cup semi-finals.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … nfica.aspx

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#138 29-04-2011 09:03:27

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

How high can Del Potro climb?

http://l.yimg.com/i/util/anysize/376,http%3A%2F%2Fa323.yahoofs.com%2Fymg%2Fsimon_reed__1%2Fsimon_reed-545833073-1304005365.jpg%3Fym17x7EDxdxnXpef?v=2

It's been terrific, the way Juan Martin del Potro has come back from his nine-month injury lay-off and, for me, something of a surprise.
Some players are simply never the same after suffering such a severe wrist injury - the joint's not as strong as it was, and the time it takes to recover can really take its toll.

It also wears on the ambition of a player and, lest we forget, Del Potro is already a multimillionaire with a Grand Slam title to his credit.

Despite all these possible set-backs, however, it looks like the 22-year-old is as hungry as ever!

His rise this season has been impressive; reaching the semi-finals of Indian Wells and beating Robin Soderling in Miami - which was a huge result for him.

Things are looking good for the Del Potro at the moment. His ranking is up to 46, and I think that very soon he's going to be in the top 32 - which will mean he gets seeded for Slams.

Once he's in that position he'll be a heck of a prospect to reckon with on any surface.

Before his injury, the Argentine showed how dangerous he can be on clay.

He reached the French Open semi-finals in 2009 (losing to eventual champion Roger Federer), and he was in the top four in the world as recently as January last year.

He has so much power, and a pitbull-like attitude to competition.

Add to that the fact that he moves particularly well for such a big man (he's 6'6"), and it's not inconceivable that he could develop into a big, big threat this year.

His style isn't always particularly pleasing on the eye, and sometimes it's easy to underestimate the qualities of players like that - you don't get too many ‘ooh's and ‘aah's when Del Potro plays.

The shear power of his serve - and particularly his ferocious forehand - just breaks people down.

The one thing that concerns me about Del Potro's comeback, however, is that tennis has moved on since he was last at his peak.

Rafael Nadal is a better player now, and - despite going through a bit of a dip - the same can be said of Federer. As for Novak Djokovic, well, the Serb is considerably better than he was a year ago.

For that reason, I don't think that Del Potro will be able to break into the upper-echelons of the men's game - the top three.

I definitely see him getting back into the top 10, and possibly the top five, but after that I'm not so sure.

If he does get back to fourth, it will be a fantastic achievement in itself.

I'll certainly be looking out for him tomorrow, when he plays Soderling again in the Estoril Open quarter-finals.

The Swede is such a good clay-court player that a win for Del Potro would mean an awful lot, and it might just be a sign that he's going to go deep into Roland Garros.

I've said before that Nadal - despite failing to reach his peak on clay yet this season - is virtually untouchable on his favourite surface.

However, if Del Potro's graph continues to rise the way it has been doing so far this season, I can certainly see him as a possible threat to the Spaniard's clay-court dominance.

Rafa will see certainly be seeing him as a real threat, of that I'm sure.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/si … icle/6199/

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#139 02-05-2011 10:45:32

jaccol55

Administrator

#9) Estoril 2011

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03xi8u3bJb08I/220x.jpg

R32    Pedro Sousa (POR) 6-2 3-6, 6-3   
R16    Alejandro Falla (COL) 6-2 6-1   
Q    Robin Soderling (SWE) 6-4 7-5   
S    Pablo Cuevas (URU) 6-2 7-6(6)   
W   Fernando Verdasco (ESP) 6-2 6-2

#140 05-05-2011 17:08:54

Serenity

User

Del Potro withdraws from Madrid with hip injury

uan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the Madrid Masters with a hip injury suffered in his opening-round match with Mikhail Youzhny. Del Potro defeated Marin Cilic on Wednesday and was scheduled to play Rafael Nadal in Thursday's night match. Nadal now advances to the quarterfinals, where he'll play either Michael Llodra or Daniel Gimeno-Traver.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/template … &zoneid=25

Stopka forum

RSS