Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#21 16-02-2011 14:58:39

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Re: Milos Raonic

Air Miles Raonic hopes to keep flying high

http://tennistalk.com/images/article/2186.jpg

Canadian sensation Milos Raonic will have some family support in the stands when last week's San Jose champion bids to stretch his current win streak to six matches at the indoor event in Memphis.

Father Dusan will continues on the road trip with his 20-year-old son - new ATP ranking 59th - while his sister Jelena is arriving as well.

But Raonic had to withdraw from doubles with Andy Roddick, figuring that he might not be ready for a first-round match after his exertions in lifting his career-first trophy in California. It's all about frequent flier points for the well-travelled Canadian, who has played on four continents - Asia, Australia, Africa and North America so far in the first six weeks of the season. His travels will continues next week in Acapulco on clay followed by a Davis Cup date for Canada.

Raonic chose to take a red-eye from San Jose to Memphis for this week's event. "To tell you the truth, everything happened so fast night. I sort of haven't completely soaked up what happened, haven't completely grasped it," he told Canadian media.

Raonic and his Spanish coach Galo Blanco think they are onto a good thing with the big-hitting youngster whom some are already comparing to Pete Sampras for his huge serve and his calm demeanour. "I feel like I'm playing at a good level and I'm playing well. I don't think it's something you have and lose the next day. I think it's something you keep," said Raonic. "But now's not the time to be dwelling on the win. I have another match to prepare for. When I have a bit of time off I can appreciate the moment more, and sort of build on that."

http://tennistalk.com/en/news/20110215/ … lying_high

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#22 18-02-2011 22:39:11

jaccol55

Administrator

Milos po dojściu do półfinału turnieju w Memphis, awansował do Top-50. Tempo iście kosmiczne.

#23 19-02-2011 00:18:17

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Raonic To Break Top 50 After Reaching Memphis SF

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/048CDBCAADAE408D844F40DB8F7C1E27.ashx
Milos Raonic is through to his
second successive ATP World
Tour semi-final.

Fast-rising Canadian Milos Raonic will crack the Top 50 of the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings on Monday after reaching the semi-finals of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships Friday with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 victory over American Robert Kendrick.

The 20-year-old Raonic has made the biggest jump in the Top 100 South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings from the 2010 year-end standings, climbing from No. 156 to a career-high No. 59 this week after compiling an 11-2 record at the start of the season. He broke through as a qualifier at the Australian Open, where he reached the fourth round (l. to Ferrer) after beating World No. 10 Mikhail Youzhny, and last week won his maiden ATP World Tour title (d. Verdasco) in San Jose.

The 6’5” right-hander backed up a career-high 38 aces in his second-round win over Radek Stepanek by firing a further 20 aces as he defeated the No. 110-ranked Kendrick in one hour and 53 minutes. He saved eight of the nine break points he faced, while breaking his opponent’s serve twice.

Raonic next will face fourth seed Mardy Fish, who beat fifth seed and defending champion Sam Querrey 6-3, 6-4 in an all-American quarter-final contest. The 29-year-old Fish was better able to convert his break point chances than Querrey, capitalising on three of his five opportunities while his opponent squandered three of four chances. Both players were contesting their first ATP World Tour quarter-finals of the season.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … Semis.aspx

#24 19-02-2011 23:17:34

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

jaccol55 napisał:

Milos po dojściu do półfinału turnieju w Memphis, awansował do Top-50. Tempo iście kosmiczne.

A po dzisiejszym sukcesie w semi oczywistym jest, że od poniedziałku Milos będzie najwyżej sklasyfikowanym w singlu Kanadyjczykiem w historii. Raonić w najgorszym razie (porażki w finale w Memphis) zostanie sklasyfikowany na 37 pozycji, czyli o 4 miejsca wyżej niż Greg Rusedski za czasów swojej gry w barwach kraju "Klonowego liścia".

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#25 19-02-2011 23:48:09

Bizon

siła spokoju

DUN I LOVE napisał:

2010 w liczbach

Bilans meczów: 4-6
Turnieje: 0
Finały: 0
Ranking: 156 (rekord: 155 11.10.2010)
Zarobki: $95,774

19 luty - Ranking: 37

Kozak, co tu dużo mówić

MTT Singiel : (Rank-2)

W : Los Angeles 08, Dubaj 09, New Heaven 09, Bangkok 09, Pekin 09, Madryt 10, Roland Garros 10, Barcelona 11, Madryt 11, Roland Garros 11
F  : Olympic Games 08, Bangkok 08, s'Hertogenbosch 10, Wimbledon 10, Los Angeles 10, Memphis 11

#26 19-02-2011 23:54:39

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Raonić ma na ten moment znakomity bilans gier w 2011: 12-2. W ciągu 5 tygodni nowego sezonu (rozpoczynał na dobrą sprawę startem w Melbourne - licząc występu w turnieju głównym zawodów) wygrał 3 razy więcej gier na szczeblu ATP/ITF (AO) niż w całej swojej karierze do końca 2010 roku. Znakomite przełamanie (się).

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#27 20-02-2011 00:05:05

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Unstoppable Raonic Reaches Second Straight Final

Canadian Milos Raonic won his eighth successive match on Saturday as he defeated fourth seed Mardy Fish 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships to reach his second straight ATP World Tour final.

What a difference a year has made for Raonic. This time in 2010 he was ranked a lowly World No. 361 and lost in the first round of qualifying for an ATP Challenger Tour event in Belgrade. Now, having begun the year at World No. 159, the 20 year old is set to become the highest-ranked Canadian in the history of the South African Airways ATP Rankings at around World No. 37.

“It’s coming nicely,” said Raonic. “I’m acknowledging it all and taking as much as I can from it. But I’m focussing on the next day and doing what I need to do for tomorrow’s final. It’s amazing to be in two finals in a row. After you get the results, everything comes with it, like the rankings. But the thing I’m most proud of is my level.”

He broke through as a qualifier at the Australian Open last month, when he defeated World No. 10 Mikhail Youzhny to reach his first Grand Slam fourth round, and embarked on an unbeaten run last week in San Jose, where he defeated No. 9 Fernando Verdasco to win his maiden ATP World Tour title. He was the first Canadian to win an ATP World Tour title since Greg Rusedski captured the title in Seoul in April 1995.

The 6’5’’ Raonic took his tournament-best tally to 97 aces after hitting a further 23 aces past Fish in Saturday’s first semi-final. The right-hander saved five of the six break points he faced and won 85 per cent of points behind his first serve to clinch victory in just under two hours. It was his fourth successive three-set win.

“I think I’m doing well with it and handling it well," said Raonic of his tough matches. "I felt it a bit in the second set, but I managed to pull it together and play a really good third set and I played at a high intensity. There’s still juice left in the tank and I’m ready to fight.”

“His serve is probably more like [Ivo] Karlovic than [John] Isner,” assessed Fish. “He’s got all the serves than anyone else that I’ve ever seen does. I wasn’t familiar with his game at all; I hadn’t seen him play live. From the waist down he has the strongest legs of anyone I’ve seen. You can tell he still has some growing to do in his upper body and it’s a scary thought to think he’s got ways to improve.”

In the final of the ATP World Tour 500 indoor hard-court tennis tournament, Raonic will face either top seed Andy Roddick or Argentine Juan Martin del Potro.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … Final.aspx

#28 20-02-2011 00:44:32

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Peter Bodo: More to Raonic than supersized frame

This is getting borderline absurd. Just when it seemed Milos Raonic, the pride of Thornhill, Ontario, couldn't top his most recent feat (beating world No. 9 Fernando Verdasco twice in the span of four days), the 6-foot-5 wunderkind rained down a staggering 38 aces (the fifth most in a three-set match since the ATP began keeping the statistic) in a win over Radek Stepanek in Memphis.

Raonic outlasted Stepanek in the kind of classic three-setter you sometimes get between two men who have no fear of cracking the ball on a fairly fast court, winning 6-4, 6-7 (10), 7-6 (1). It was the sixth straight win for Raonic, who's still fresh off his victory over Verdasco in the San Jose final.

If you're sufficiently perverse, you might already have your fingers crossed, hoping for a Raonic versus John Isner first-round encounter at Wimbledon.

The scoreline in Raonic's most recent win is worth contemplating, because it tells you something about this 20-year-old Canadian, who's emerged as the new sensation of the ATP Tour. Losing a tiebreaker in which you squandered four match points is enough to make most inexperienced players come unglued. But Raonic is busy demonstrating that he isn't your run-of-the-mill pledge in the ATP frat house. He extended the match to another tiebreaker and won that one going away, 7-1.

Ever since Raonic burst onto the big stage at the Australian Open, most of the buzz has been about the size of his frame and the size of his serve. As compelling as those subjects are, there's a much more important element in play here. This youngster has a knack for winning tennis matches.

At a time when even the brawniest and biggest of men (think Marin Cilic, who's an inch taller than Raonic, or even Robin Soderling) play a baseline-based game that might be called small, Raonic likes to make the most of his power, his size and the big man's inherent ability to impose himself on opponents. He flat-out plays a big game. You might have guessed that, knowing his childhood idol was Pete Sampras.

Although he was just 6-1, Sampras played like he was 6 inches taller. That was partially a tribute to his exceptional serve (he himself has said that the rarest and finest weapon of all is a great second serve), but also a testament to his attitude. Sampras came right at you, both barrels spitting fire, and if you could beat that, more power to you.

Raonic has similar instincts, and that's going to help him even more than his height and service speed. Raonic is big, albeit not towering (Cilic and Juan Martin del Potro are both taller). More importantly, Raonic plays big. This year, he's 10-4 in tiebreakers (and two of the four he lost were played in Chennai, before his breakout Australian Open). Sure, a big serve helps in those 'breakers, but strong nerves and the ability to make the big shot help even more.

After he was bludgeoned by Raonic in Memphis the other day, an obviously frustrated Verdasco gorged on sour grapes. Referring to the court speed and the advantage it gives a big server, Verdasco said, "For me that's not a real match in tennis. I hope to play soon against him in clay court to show him what it is to play tennis, and play rallies, and run, and not only serve."

My gut reaction is, be careful what you wish for, Fernando.

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/blog/_ … ized-frame

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#29 22-02-2011 14:22:38

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

20.02.2011 - Milos zagrał w swoim drugim finale turnieju ATP w karierze. tym razem przegrał w 3 setach w meczu o tytuł w ATP-500 w Memphis. Lepszym okazał się Andy Roddick. Raonić zanotował 2 finały ATP w ciągu zaledwie 2 tygodni.

Milos Raonić - Finały (1):
Memphis 2011

Warto podkreślić, że w ciągu tych 7 dni Raonić zagrał aż 5 spotkań 3-setowych, bilans całkiem niezły: 4-1.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#30 22-02-2011 23:13:46

jaccol55

Administrator

W dniu wczorajszym, Milos osiągnął swój najlepszy ranking w karierze.

Obecnie znajduje się na 37 miejscu na listach światowych.

#31 22-02-2011 23:22:18

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Kanadyjczyk wycofał się ze startu w turnieju ATP w Acapulco. Lekarze zalecili Milosowi przerwę, by dać czas na odpoczynek nadwyrężonemu brakowi (prawy bark).

A few hours later, Raonic pulled out the tournament in Acapulco after visiting with doctors there with a right shoulder injury. His place in the draw was taken by Daniel Muñoz de la Nava. Raonic is next scheduled to play Davis Cup in Mexico City.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/template … &zoneid=25

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#32 24-02-2011 11:20:44

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Now No. 37, Milos Raonic makes Canadian tennis history

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/d6/d8/ed77fa404aeca708de0fdb4060f4.jpeg
Milos Raonic, of Canada, celebrates after breaking the serve of Mardy Fish in a semifinal round match at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships tennis tournament, Saturday, Feb. 19, 2011, in Memphis, Tenn. Raonic is now ranked No. 37 in the world after falling in Sunday's final.

Milos Raonic has continued his rapid ascent up the ATP world rankings — making Canadian tennis history in the process.

The 20-year-old from Thornhill, who lost a hard-fought final against Andy Roddick on Sunday in Memphis, jumped 22 places to reach No. 37 — the highest Canadian men’s singles ranking ever. He finished 2010 at No. 156.

Vancouver’s Rebecca Marino, meanwhile, vaulted 20 places to No. 60 in the WTA rankings. The 20-year-old reached Saturday’s final in Memphis but, down a set to Magdalena Rybarikova, retired with an abdominal strain.

Raonic was beaten 7-6 (7), 6-7 (11), 6-4 by Roddick, who stayed at No. 8 in the world but pulled out of this week’s event in Boca Raton, Fla. Roddick, who has been battling the flu, said he woke up Monday and “felt like I got hit by a bus. My bed was soaking wet from sweat. It's just unfortunate timing.”

Raonic earned $122,000 U.S. in Memphis, a week after winning his first pro title in San Jose. His match record is 12-3.

Next, Raonic heads to Mexico, where he is a wild-card entry for the 500to prepare for Canada’s Davis Cup tie against Mexico at the 500 event in Acapulco next week where he has been granted a wild card.

There were no changes in the ATP’s top five Monday with Spain’s Rafael Nadal leading Roger Federer of Switzerland, Novak Djokovic of Serbia, Robin Soderling of Sweden, and Andy Murray of Britain.

On the women’s side, Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki reclaimed top spot, relegated Kim Clijsters of Belgium to No. 2, followed by Vera Zvonareva of Russia, Sam Stosur of Australia and Francesca Schiavone of Italy.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis/ar … is-history

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#33 24-02-2011 12:31:23

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

The swift maturation of Milos Raonic

By Stephanie Myles

A month ago, Milos Raonic was the 152nd-ranked player in the world, a kid with a huge serve and huge potential, but a hothead whose on-court demeanour was holding him back.

On Saturday, even before stepping on the court for his ATP Tour semi-final in Memphis against American veteran Mardy Fish, Raonic will likely become the No. 45 player in the world when the new rankings are issued on Monday. If he beats Fish, he would jump to about No. 37. If he wins the tournament, he would be within a couple of huge serves of the top 30.

The 20-year-old from Thornhill is tennis’s flavour of the month. The boom you hear is not just the sound of the 147 mile-an-hour bombs coming off his racquet; it is the sound of his career exploding  into the stratosphere. All of a sudden, you hear, “can’t miss top-10,” or “definitely a Grand Slam winner,” or “future No. 1.”

It is all rather over the top. But it is the result of 12 years of hard work on the tennis courts, of millions of forehands and backhands and serves, of early-morning and late-night sessions with just his father Dusan and a ball machine for company.

“I used to look him in the eye, across the net when he was 13 or 14 and tell him, ‘I believe this. You’re going to make it. You’re going to play these [top] guys. So you have to take this seriously,’ ” said Casey Curtis, who coached Raonic from age eight until he left for a three-year-stint at the national training centre in Montreal.

He was like a clumsy, newborn colt back in those days, long-legged, a little shaky on his pins, yet to grow into his now 6-foot-5 frame.

One junior contemporary, Gastao Elias, told a Portuguese colleague this week that Raonic lost to “everybody” back then, because he was just so uncoordinated. But Elias added that everyone also thought he’d be good. Very good.

Curtis doesn’t remember it quite that way. “I think the best guys beat him. But usually, when Milos lost, the guy won the tournament,” he said. “He was very lanky and didn’t have enough strength in his legs to cut, and support the movement required to play at that level.

“He’s got that now.”

Frequent doubles partner Vasek Pospisil, a B.C. native who has beaten Raonic more often than he has lost to him on the minor-league circuit, remembers that gangly kid. “I definitely remember those days,” Pospisil said. “He only really got rid of that when he joined the national centre, worked hard on footwork and coordination overall. He looks a lot more natural now and moves better on the court. And he has matured physically.

“But he always had the big serve. Even when he was 15 or 16, that’s what everybody was talking about.”

That serve.

Raonic is the ATP Tour leader in aces this season, and is in the top three in three other serving categories. He also has put up the fastest serve of the season so far.

“He’s obviously blessed with fast-twitch [muscle] fibre, not just on the serve. But you have to coach it; he worked extremely hard on that serve over the years. He didn’t walk in the door at eight years old with it,” Curtis said. “Even at 12, it was basically, technically, almost a perfect motion.

“I said to him, ‘You’ve got the best serve in the world, not the fastest.’ ”

Eight years later, he does.

Raonic’s junior career was not much to brag about. He reached a respectable No. 35 in the ITF rankings, largely because he played so many events. But he did not reach a junior Grand Slam tournament until his final year of eligibility. And in three events, he won only one match.

His first big breakthrough came at the Rogers Cup in Montreal in 2009, when, just 18 and ranked barely inside the top 700, he upset two quality opponents in qualifying and came within one big forehand of upsetting top-10 player Fernando Gonzalez of Chile.

That match against Gonzalez on the No. 1 court at Jarry Park began just a few moments after the career swan song of Quebecer Frederic Niemeyer, who had just closed out his pro career against the great Roger Federer. A few months later, Raonic and Niemeyer would join forces.

The two travelled together much of 2010, the master tutoring the young Jedi about life on Tour and about what he had to do to reach that level.

But Niemeyer, who had just come off of years of globe-trotting, was clear he could not continue as a full-time travelling coach.

So Tennis Canada introduced Raonic to Galo Blanco, the Spanish coach the federation is now paying to guide the rising star, and Spanish trainer Tony Estalella

“[Estalella] and I agree that the off-season Milos had this winter in Barcelona was amazing. We never saw anything like that before, working the way he worked for six weeks,” Blanco said during the Australian Open. “And I think that if you work, and you have the level, these things will surely come.”

Blanco worked on the mental side. And despite a few relapses here and there, the remarkable cool Raonic has displayed is the biggest reason his rise has been so remarkably quick. Blanco said they were aiming for the top 100 by June, and hopefully to finish in the top 40 — maybe the top 30 — by season’s end.

It is mid-February and Raonic is already there. Time to sit down and set some new objectives.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/02/ … os-raonic/

#34 24-02-2011 12:32:32

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Raonic's Result Is A Winner

Milos Raonic’s stature is greater, after his valiant performance in a loss to Andy Roddick in the final of the ATP 500 tournament in Memphis on Sunday, than it was when he won in San Jose a week earlier.

Everything came a little too easy in San Jose as he won every match in straight sets, but Memphis was a total grind, with all five going the distance. That included Sunday’s 7-6(7), 6-7 (11), 7-5 loss to Andy Roddick in the final.

It has been a wild ride for the 20-year-old from Thornhill, going back to winning three qualifying rounds and three matches in the main draw at the Australian Open last month.

There has been a lot of talk about Raonic’s outstanding serve and his ability to finish points with big ground strokes, mainly a wicked inside/out forehand.

But, after saving three championship points in the second-set tiebreak against Roddick, rallying from 2-4 down in the final set, and then being on the wrong end of the unforgettable, and ultimate, championship point, two things have emerged that have not been mentioned very often. Milos Raonic is one fit tennis player, and he has guts.

That was plain to see in a match that was overloaded with dramatic twists and turns that gave both players the opportunity to show their competitive grit.

Despite having played four three-set matches in four days going into the final, Raonic hardly gave any indication that he was either mentally or physically tired. That is a crucial attribute to have for a potential future champion because it takes from four to seven matches to win titles at the professional level.

As for his guts, he extricated himself from countless perilous situations with poise beyond his 20 years. There were numerous examples – but maybe the most memorable was in the second-set tiebreak, facing championship point for the third time trailing 9-10. He boldly belted a forehand to Roddick’s backhand, went to the net and coolly put away a winning forehand volley cross-court. Volleying is a bit of a lost art in modern tennis and the ability to pull off that shot under that kind of pressure spoke volumes about his nerves and clear thinking.

Ironically, he employed basically the same tactic on the fifth and final championship point, heading to the net on Roddick’s backhand and seemingly putting away another forehand volley – except that Roddick made a mad dive and scraped a winning forehand down-the-line that he himself did not see because he was doing a 360 roll. He had the burn marks on his forearm as proof of the desperation of his effort.

Roanic was able to appreciate what a great shot his opponent had pulled off when he smiled and said during the trophy presentation, “as a finalist, I think I may be on one of YouTube’s most viewed points. I’m on the wrong end of the court but my name will be, at least, in the description.”

Roddick, 28, was generous in his praise of Raonic a few moments later when he said, “congrats to Milos. Coming from an old guy who’s seen an awful lot of players, you have a lot to look forward to, and you have a very bright future.”

One of the best parts of the match was the fact that, after two sets of basically very short points, a number of long, strategic rallies took place as the third set wound its way to a conclusion. Full marks to Raonic for dialling back on his aggression, especially when he went through a few patches of unforced errors playing that way. It was positive and revealing insight about his ability to change gamestyles depending on the situation.

Speaking of dialling back, it will be hard for a nation, Canada, not to expect much of Raonic who is a tennis revelation like few others in recent memory. In just six weeks, he has made astounding progress.

Every year, reporters vote on the most improved player on the tour. Last year, Andrey Golubev of Kazakhstan won the ATP’s most improved player by going from No. 133 to No. 36 over the course of the whole 2010 season.

Raonic, before the month of February is even finished, has already jumped from No. 156 to about No. 37 in the rankings coming out on Monday the 21st.

While it’s all slightly unreal, it has become almost impossible to imagine that he is not the real deal, and a potential world-beater.
Next for Raonic will be the ATP event on clay in Acapulco this week, and then Davis Cup near Mexico City from March 4-6.

He has drawn Carlos Berlocq in his first match in Acapulco. The Argentine may be the loudest, decibel wise, player in the history of tennis. He does not grunt loudly, he actually shouts every time he hits the ball, increasing the level according to the intensity of his effort. He is also a drama king. Last week I watched him played Stanislas Wawrinka in Buenos Aires and he apparently twisted his ankle finishing a first serve facing break point at 2-3 in the final set. He virtually crawled on all fours over to near a line judge’s chair and collapsed like he had been shot. A concerned Wawrinka actually helped him take his shoe off. After a considerable delay, Berlocq resumed play and was soon dashing around at full speed again before finally losing the set 6-3.

So Raonic is forewarned.

I was in northern New York State on Friday and got snowed in Saturday. So, I had to watch the Raonic – Mardy Fish match on a very sketchy live stream feed with live chat going on.

After the match ended, someone posted, “Raonic the new Nadal.”

That struck me as an extremely powerful image, and probably far-fetched. But not quite as far-fetched as it would have seemed just a little over a month ago.

NOTE 1: Congrats to Daniel Nestor for winning the Memphis doubles title, the 72nd of his career and his first with new partner Max Mirnyi.

NOTE 2: I regret to mention this negative about Roddick, who is a fun guy who has been terrific for tennis, particularly American tennis, with his candour and humour. But if I had a Benjamin Franklin for every time he touches his crotch area during a match, I would be heading off to a ritzy hotel and a very nice southern vacation sometime before the end of the winter.

http://www.lovemeansnothing.ca/blog/Rao … s-A-Winner

#35 24-02-2011 12:35:18

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Profil Raonicia na stronie ATP był najczęściej odwiedzanym profilem zawodniczym na stronie ATP w minionym tygodniu. Zanotowano ponad 80 000 wejść.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#36 24-02-2011 14:03:36

jaccol55

Administrator

The Milos Raonic Story (Part 1)

A month ago, Canadian Milos Raonic was the 152nd-ranked player on the ATP Tour.

Today, even before stepping on the court for his semifinal in Memphis against American veteran Mardy Fish, Raonic will likely become the No. 45 player in the world when the new rankings list comes out on Monday.

If he beats Fish, he would jump to about No. 37. If he wins the tournament, he would be within a couple of huge serves of the top 30.

A 20-year-old kid from Thornhill, Ont. is tennis's flavour of the month - and not just back at home. Around the tennis universe

The "boom" you hear isn't just the sound of his 147 mph serve coming off his racquet; it's the sound of his career exploding.

You hear, "can't miss top-10," or "definitely a Grand Slam winner," or "future No. 1."

It's all rather over the top, and an awful lot to live up to.

But it's the result of 12 years of hard work on the tennis courts, of millions of forehands and backhands and serves, of early-morning and late-night sessions with just his father Dusan and a ball machine for company.

It's the culmination of those monotonous footwork drills and nagging injuries, the high-school parties missed, the disappointments and roadblocks and life-defining decisions.

"I used to look him in the eye, across the net when he was 13 or 14 and tell him, "I believe this. You're going to make it. You're going to play these (top) guys. So you have to take this seriously," said Casey Curtis, who coached Raonic in from age eight until he left for a three-year-stint at the national training centre in Montreal.

He was like a clumsy, newborn colt back in those days, long-legged, a little shaky on his pins, yet to grow into his now 6-5 frame.

One junior contemporary, Gastao Elias, told a Portuguese colleague this week that Raonic lost to "everybody" back then, because he was just so uncoordinated.

But Elias added that, despite that, everyone also thought he'd be good.

Very good.

Curtis doesn't remember it quite that way. "I think the best guys beat him. But usually, when Milos lost, the guy won the tournament," he said. "He was very lanky and didn't have enough strength in his legs to cut, and support the movement required to play at that level.

"He's got that now."

Friend and frequent doubles partner Vasek Pospisil, a B.C. native who has beaten Raonic more often than he has lost to him on the Challenger and Futures circuit but whose breakthrough hasn't come quite as quickly, remembers that gangly kid.

"I definitely remember those days. He only really got rid of that when he joined the national training centre, worked hard on footwork and coordination overall. He looks a lot more natural now and moves better on the court. And he has matured physically," Pospisil said. "But he always had the big serve. Even when he was 15 or 16, that's what everybody was talking about, even in juniors."

Raonic is the ATP Tour leader in aces this season. He also has put up the fastest serve of the season.

"He's obviously blessed with fast-twitch (muscle) fibre, not just on the serve. But you have to coach it; he worked extremely hard on that serve over the years. He didn't walk in the door at eight years old with it," Curtis said. "Even at 12, it was basically, technically, almost a perfect motion. I said to him, 'You've got the best serve in the world – not the fastest. The key is to keep it for the next eight to 10 years."

If you don't believe it, here's a little clip of a not-quite-13 Raonic serving it up (and volleying)

Eight years later, he does.

Pospisil, who is nearly as tall, doesn't have the same serve. But he understands it's probably a unique combination of circumstances. "He’s got long arms, and just a little built differently in the body and arms," Pospisil said. "It's also a gift ... and a lot of hard work, too."

Here are a few photos, courtesy of his longtime coach Casey Curtis, of Raonic, father Dusan.

Here's the future charmer with Curtis's daughter Summer Grace, to whom he bestowed a rose on her first Valentine's Day. (Awwwwwwwww....

Tennis Canada high-performance director Louis Borfiga saw something in the kid.

Newly hired to turn Tennis Canada's player program into a world-class effort in the mold of the successful structure in his native France, Borfiga had barely landed in Canada about 4 1/2 years ago when he saw a young Raonic playing in an under-18 event in Ste-Hyacinthe, Que.

"He was playing in the consolations and I said, 'He's good.' I talked with the coaches and they said, 'No, no.' But I kept him in my head and followed him," Borfiga said. "I just thought there was something."

Raonic soon joined the new national program out of the Jarry Park Tennis Centre

His junior career wasn't all that much to brag about. He reached a respectable No. 35 in the ITF junior rankings. But much of that was due to the fact that he played so many events. Since the national training centre got under way, the Canadian kids have traveled all over the place, playing practically every junior event they can get to.

So there weren't many huge junior scalps on Raonic's resumé. He never even made it to a junior Grand Slam tournament until his final year of eligibility. And in three events, he won only one match.

The issue wasn't as much the playing as the attitude.

"Believe me, it’s as much the mental. At 14, 15, 16, he was ready to beat the top guys, he would just
lose it," Curtis said. "Once, at the Orange Bowl, he got a ball call and just lost it. He was killing the guy ... and just lost it."

Here's a photo montage of Raonic's Grand Slam junior experience...

He was going to go to the University of Virginia on a tennis scholarship. Borfiga says he talked him out of it, told him to give it two years.

Here is a brief clip of Raonic playing at the junior French Open in 2008.

And you wanted Milos Raonic on grass? We've got your Milos Raonic on grass

http://communities.canada.com/montrealg … art-1.aspx

#37 24-02-2011 15:49:54

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Milosomania w Kanadzie, ma chłopak szczęście, że Kanadyjczycy nie organizują szlema.

MTT - tytuły (9)
MTT - finały (8)

#38 01-03-2011 21:30:08

jaccol55

Administrator

The Milos Raonic Story (Part 2)

Raonic had a little success on the pro circuit early in the
2008 and 2009 seasons, most of it coming in the low-level Futures circuit that
goes through Hull, Montreal and Granby each March.
When he won in Montreal as a wild card entry in 2009, his first pro
title, he said his goal was to play 100 matches that season.

He got big bucks, too, as you can see.

He was 24-5 at the
time, but a fracture of the scaphoid bone in his right hand, an injury he tried
to play through, scuttled that.

Here's some video. You'll notice that back two years ago, he came to the net a lot more.

After a tough few months, Raonic got a wild card into the qualifying at the Rogers Cup. He was ranked just inside the top 700 at the time, just 18.

The kid rode a wave. He defeated two quality opponents in the qualifying in Teimuraz Gabashvili and Michael (le Magnifique) Llodra, just coming off an injury at the time (then again, what else is new).

Here's some video from that Llodra match (please excuse the cinéma vérité camera work; this was the infancy of Open Court's video days. We hope we've gotten better since then, with reader input helping quite a bit).

He was pretty excited about it.

In his main-draw match, Raonic came within one huge forehand of upsetting top-10 player Fernando Gonzalez of Chile.

It was a pretty serious match on the Banque Nationale Court, a bit reminiscent of the drama when Frank Dancevic took on Fernando Verdasco on the same court two years prior (unfortunately, not with the same positive Canadian outcome).

Here's some vid.

After that match, Raonic said the trick was to go back onto the minor-league circuit with the same level of intensity and commitment he displayed on the big stage – which is not easy to do.

For awhile, he did.

Raonic rode what wave through a Futures series in Thailand, and
moved up 300 spots in the rankings to break into the top 400. He then tried to
take the next big step, up to the Challengers level, late in the season. But he didn’t have much
success.

In 2010, he dropped back down the Futures level, but
struggled early on. Another return “home”, to Quebec, resulted in a final at the
Challenger tournament in Granby, and he was on his way.

First-round losses to Robert Kendrick in Vancouver (the same
Robert Kendrick he defeated in Memphis Friday) and Victor Hanescu the Rogers
Cup in Toronto were a setback.

But his first qualifying effort in a Grand slam, at the U.S.
Open, was successful. He didn't drop a set in three matches.

But Raonic lost to Aussie lefty Carsten Ball in the first round of the main draw
– a defeat he didn't take well.

Here's some video of that.

What Raonic said after that match has been rather misconstrued in the rush of media attention lately.

What he did say - essentially – was that he told himself after the loss that never again would he lose a match because of fitness.

People assume that meant he was tired after the three qualifying matches (all of which were in straight sets, by the way). But that wasn't it; it was a matter of so rarely in his young career having played best-of-five sets. And when he went down two sets to one, the prospect of having to win two more sets to win the match, knowing he probably didn't

And so, onto the next chapter...

http://communities.canada.com/montrealg … art-2.aspx

#39 03-03-2011 13:38:56

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Blanco: "Anything Is Possible For Raonic"

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/9A280B1AD9DA43E8A5A343516B7B4BAE.ashx
Milos Raonic has made an
extradordinary rise up the
South African Airways 2011
ATP Rankings this season.

Milos Raonic’s Spanish coach, Galo Blanco, believes that anything is possible for the 20-year-old Canadian if he keeps working hard.

Raonic began the year at No. 159 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings, but after reaching the fourth round at the Australian Open (l. to Ferrer), winning his first ATP World Tour title in San Jose (d. Verdasco) and reaching the Memphis final (l. to Roddick), he has rocketed up to a career-high World No. 37.

“If I’m honest, we did not expect this start to the season,” Blanco told RadioMARCA. “I had a lot of faith in Milos, but his progress has been much faster than we expected. What has helped us a lot is that we didn’t stand still after reaching the fourth round of the Australian Open. If he hadn’t continued working, he wouldn’t have had those results in San Jose and Memphis. What he does so well is that he keeps wanting to improve every day. It is something he has learnt from the Spaniards.

“I try to pass on my experience as an ex-player, and give him advice that I think will be good for him. But he is the one who walks on to court and plays. All the credit must go to him for the hard work he has put in.

“I do think he can win a big title, such as a Masters 1000 or a Grand Slam. However, I don’t like to set goals on this scale. I think we have to keep our feet on the ground and remember that two months ago he was World No. 150; when I started working with him he was No. 230 in the rankings. Time has shown us that with hard work, anything is possible.”

Blanco began working with Raonic in October 2010 and the Canadian soon made the decision to relocate to Barcelona and surround himself with Toni Estalella as a physical trainer and Dr. Ángel Ruiz Cotorro as his doctor. “[It was] a change that took him a giant step forwards,” declared Blanco.

In their six months together, Blanco explained he has worked on both Raonic’s game and also his temperament. “It’s clear that Milos’ serve stands out against his other shots, but less so now than three months ago. It’s not that he has changed his style of game in the time I’ve been working with him, but he has learnt to use his shots correctly. He still serves just as strong, but now he knows how to choose the right serve depending on the moment, how to choose the right play, he makes less errors and has more patience. He has an aggressive game and it will stay that way.

“Away from the courts Milos is an extraordinary person, but very temperamental. He has a strong character and gets angry when things don’t go the way he wants. Lately he has learned to control these fits of temper on the court and this has been reflected in his results.”

Raonic will compete on clay in Canada’s Davis Cup tie away to Mexico this weekend, and following his appearances at the BNP Paribas Open and Sony Ericsson Open next month, will embark on a six-week spell on clay.

“It’s a mystery for everyone [how Milos will perform on clay],” confessed Blanco. “You have to keep in mind that he has only played about three clay-court tournaments in his life, and they were when he was a junior.

“Of course he will have to stay true to his style of play, but he must change his movement and the way he approaches each point. I don’t think he’s going to be a bad clay-court player, but he needs experience. What I am sure about is that the six-week clay-court season is going to help him a lot in progressing more on fast courts.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … aonic.aspx

#40 05-03-2011 16:23:18

jaccol55

Administrator

Stopka forum

RSS