* mtenis.pun.pl - forum tenisowe, Tenis ATP

mtenis.pun.pl - forum fanów tenisa ATP

Ogłoszenie

Forum zostało przeniesione na adres: www.mtenis.com.pl

#561 16-06-2011 14:16:35

Evans

User

Re: Andy Roddick

Jimmy miał pewnie na myśli tzw. średnią prędkość pierwszego serwisu co musisz przyznać u Roda strasznie zmalało i są zawodnicy lepsi w tym od niego. Owszem Andy'ego stać na pojedynczą bombę serwisową, ale trzeba przyznać, że robi to bardzo rzadko.
Pomimo mojej sympatii do Roddicka w tym co mówi Connors jest bardzo dużo racji i wątpię czy stać go jeszcze na jakiś wielki wynik. Jednak chciałbym się mylić.

Ostatnio edytowany przez Evans (16-06-2011 14:17:08)

#562 16-06-2011 21:11:48

Ranger

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Andy Roddick

Evans napisał:

Jimmy miał pewnie na myśli tzw. średnią prędkość pierwszego serwisu co musisz przyznać u Roda strasznie zmalało i są zawodnicy lepsi w tym od niego. Owszem Andy'ego stać na pojedynczą bombę serwisową, ale trzeba przyznać, że robi to bardzo rzadko.
Pomimo mojej sympatii do Roddicka w tym co mówi Connors jest bardzo dużo racji i wątpię czy stać go jeszcze na jakiś wielki wynik. Jednak chciałbym się mylić.

Faktycznie u Roda bez dwóch zdań spadła średnia prędkość pierwszego podania. Jednak i tak nie ma zbyt wielu zawodników w ścisłej czołówce, którzy w tym elemencie gry wyprzedzają Andyego. W statystykach tych może dorównywać mu Soederling, Tsonga, Verdasco, Raonic i czasem Murray, Berdych, Monfils, więc tak źle jeszcze nie jest. Ja nadal wierzę w Roddicka. Na pewno u schyłku kariery będzie chciał raz jeszcze o sobie przypomnieć i prędzej, czy później to mu się uda.

#563 16-06-2011 21:53:03

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Andy Roddick: Survival Of The Fittest
DEUCE Extra

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/8CE0524BEFBF48F9B37D3B4BB34FA035.ashx
Roddick has finished in the year-end Top 10 for nine consecutive years, and calls his
consistency the proudest achievement of his career.

In the never-ending battle for survival on the ATP World Tour, all players must evolve to remain in the hunt. Three-time Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick is the first to admit that he's no exception to the rule.

Look for a more humble and appreciative Andy Roddick at the All England Lawn Tennis Club this year than the one who made his debut with a third-round exit to eventual champion Goran Ivanisevic in 2001. Playing in the Roger Federer - Rafael Nadal era can chasten any man. With age and experience comes perspective, and Roddick has it in abundance. “There’s regrets in matches, but I sleep well knowing I’ve been professional and I’ve done what I’ve needed to,” the 28 year old tells DEUCE during the AEGON Championships.

“I’ve always been maybe a little divisive. People have loved me at times in my career and people have disliked me strongly at times in my career,” he laughs. “But I think the one thing that I have been is pretty honest and pretty forthright. I think people feel like they get a decent read on me, whether it’s good or bad. I think they feel like it’s at least genuine.”

Roddick has come a long way from the 19 year old who used to announce himself on the phone to his friend and personal driver while in London, Stephen Little, as, “Your arrogant American friend speaking”. Roddick’s Davis Cup teammate James Blake recounts, “When he was first on tour I think he was pretty brash and I’d say he was quite confident in his abilities. Amazingly, what’s really funny is that he’s had so many tremendous and amazing accomplishments and it’s almost like he’s humbled.”

“I haven’t been too
proud to adapt... You
can’t really have two
shots and get away
with it”

Ask any tennis fan what the staples of the American’s game are and two answers come back: His fearsome serve, hailed as one of the greatest in the history of the game by former pro and close friend Justin Gimelstob and his fiercely competitive nature that is equally as apparent in a friendly game of cards as in a Grand Slam final.

Roddick is renowned as one of the grittiest competitors in the game and has left no stone unturned in his quest to squeeze every last drop out of his tennis abilities. “He competes at everything so well and he’s such a hard worker,” notes his trainer of eight years, Doug Spreen, formerly of the ATP. “I learned very quickly, after a year or two of working with Andy, that I didn’t have to worry if he was working hard when he was home.”

In a bid to keep pace with his rivals, Roddick made the decision to re-evaluate his game at the end of 2008. He hired Larry Stefanki, former coach to John McEnroe and Marcelo Rios, and dropped 15lbs in weight – a decision Stefanki credits entirely to Roddick’s own motivation. "I think he looked around and thought, ‘If I’m going to keep up with the top guys, I’m going to make some adjustments as well’,” explains Stefanki. “You carry more weight, it’s going to be tougher to lump around. You have to work on your feet, be fleet-footed.”

“I openly wondered if
the best was behind
me”

Roddick adds, “I think the best thing that I’ve done, as far as tennis goes, is I haven’t been too proud to adapt. Things have changed a lot in the past 10 years; it’s become a lot more about movement. You can’t really have two shots and get away with it anymore. You have to be able to move, you have to be able to work on being more complete, which I’ve tried. I’ve had to do that two or three times now. I think that’s why, 10 years later, I’m still here.”

The effects were instantaneous for Roddick in 2009. He reached the Australian Open semi-finals and six months later was contesting one of the greatest Wimbledon finals. Amazingly, just a year earlier, the American had seriously pondered what more he was capable of achieving in tennis, having suffered a shock second-round loss at 2008 Wimbledon to Janko Tipsarevic. It was down to not just the intervention of Stefanki, but also the advice of his would-be wife Brooklyn Decker, that convinced Roddick there was more to come.

“I wasn’t enjoying it, I was forcing it a little bit, and Larry was necessary because it was a little bit of a fresh perspective on things. One of Larry’s best quotes is, ‘It’s probably never as good as it seems, and it’s probably never as bad as it seems with tennis,’” recounts Roddick.

“I openly wondered if the best was behind me. I wasn’t enjoying it and Brooklyn was really supportive. She said, ‘As bad as tennis seems right now, it’s what you’ve always loved. It’s what you do; it’s what you’ve done since you were a kid.’ So while I was thinking out loud whatever came into my head, she was actually using a little bit of common sense and reason, which when you’re an athlete, and more affected by the moment than you should be, it’s tough to be objective about it.”

Both Decker and Stefanki were present in Roddick’s corner at Wimbledon a year later when his perseverance was rewarded by reaching a third Wimbledon final. For four hours and 16 minutes against Federer, Roddick led his supporters on a rollercoaster of emotions. He had a two-set lead on his racquet in the second set tie-break, but a haunting backhand volley error reprieved Federer. In a phenomenal serving display, Roddick did not lose serve until the final game of the match as Federer clinched victory 16-14 in the 95-minute fifth set.

“I think a point here or there in that second set ultimately cost him at the end,” laments Stefanki. “But I’m very proud of the way he dug himself back out of that negative situation. As well as Andy served, I’ve been around since Roger was 17 and I’ve seen a lot of matches he’s played; that was the best I’ve seen him serve. That’s the agony of sports: There’s going to be a loser and a winner.”

“People expect me
to throw a pity party
because I’ve played [in
the Federer-Nadal
era]. I won’t complain
about it”

Just how do you pick yourself up after a defeat like that? With Roddick, his competitive spirit just would not be quelled. Gimelstob recalls that, in typical Andy Roddick fashion, pizzas were ordered, the match was dissected, and then it was put to bed. “It hurt him a lot, and it was emotional and a brutal situation. He has regrets, but he was also proud of the way he competed and played on a huge stage.”

Roddick remembers, “A couple of days afterwards I thought every minute What if? What if? What if? What if? Two points away four or five times.’ And I couldn’t get that out of my head. But then a month later it’s once a day, and then a year later you don’t really think of it every day. Like in anything, time helps. The problem wasn’t how I felt about the way I was playing; the only thing wrong with that match was the result.

“Honestly, I think it bothered me more after I lost to [Yen-Hsun] Lu last year,” Roddick adds, recalling his fourth-round defeat in a 9-7 fifth set after nearly four hours of play. “It was almost a year hangover.”

The defeat to Federer was the fourth time that Roddick had been foiled by the Swiss in a major final, having also lost in the 2004-2005 Wimbledon finals and in the 2006 US Open title match. Following the Agassi-Sampras glory years, Roddick has been the torchbearer for American tennis in an era dominated by two Europeans, Nadal and Federer. It begs the question: Just what could Roddick have achieved had he not been challenged by two of the greatest players ever to lift a racquet? “You take out Roger and Rafa and I think Andy would have won five or six Grand Slams,” declares Bob Bryan. “He just came around in a tough era.”

When asked, though, Roddick is quick to embrace it as a privilege, not a hindrance. “It’s almost like a healthy jealousy. You want their success. I think the game’s a lot stronger playing-wise than when I started. If I refer to any part of my life as a hindrance, I feel like that might be a little obnoxious. I feel like people expect me to throw a pity party because I’ve played with great players. What tennis has afforded me, and the opportunities I’ve had because of it, I won’t complain about it.”

Roddick is clearly one of the best of his generation. He won the US Open in 2003 and that year finished at World No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings. Four years later he fulfilled a life-long dream of winning the Davis Cup. There has been success for Roddick away from the court, too; in April 2009, he tied the knot with model and actress Brooklyn Decker and has seen his Foundation raise more than $10 million for children in need since its inception in 2001.

Roddick notes the proudest achievement of his tennis career as his consistency. The Texan has finished in the year-end Top 10 for nine consecutive years (2002-2010), placing him ninth on the All-Time Top 10 Finishes list. Among active players, only Roger Federer can boast such a record.

“I don’t think I’m
naturally as talented
as a lot of guys, butt
I’m willing to work”

“He’s a Hall of Fame player that’s basically done everything he could do in tennis,” states Gimelstob. “His consistency will be his legacy. Top 10 player for 10 years and the trademark of his game is his work ethic, his intensity, his will. Obviously it helps by having that huge weapon of the serve.”

Says Roddick, “I’ve seen a lot of guys have two- and three-year windows where they’ve played really well and then I look back five years later and I’m like ‘Oh, I wonder what that guy’s doing now.’ To have been there as long as I have I think is a testament; I’m proud that I’ve worked. I don’t think I’m naturally as talented as a lot of guys, but I’m willing to work and I take almost a strange pride in that.”

And so it’s that time of year again. Roddick has moved in to his Wimbledon residence and the game face is on after a solid week’s preparation at The Queen’s Club. Little, explains, “When we move on to Wimbledon there is a little bit more tenseness in him, no doubt. He’s desperate to win it and he’s been so, so close. He feels the change in the pressure when we move up there.”

Critics may say Roddick’s time has passed; that his best chance was in 2009. But the mood in Team Roddick is one of unrelenting optimism. Roddick believes he has a couple of deep Grand Slam runs left in him and has come through the other side of niggling injuries and a mild bout of mononucleosis to arrive in as good a shape as he’s ever been in. The past three weeks have been spent honing his greatest weapon, the serve, and Stefanki believes it could be the key for Roddick to finally lay his hands on The Gentlemen's Singles Trophy at The Championships.

“I don’t care about all those guys (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray),” declares Stefanki. “I know they’re great tennis players, but on this surface I don’t put any of those guys over Andy if he’s in a right spot like 2009. He knows if he’s right, and he allows himself to free up and his serve is repeating, no one wants to play this guy in best of five. As you get older you have to be ready to perform on the biggest stages, because he’s a great competitor; he’s one of the best competitors out here by a mile.”

In 2001, Goran Ivanisevic defied all expectations as he clinched the Wimbledon singles title after three runner-up finishes. For Roddick, it is a healthy reminder that “there’s no script in sport. You get a rush of blood, you get a little luck, and you play some good tennis and anything happens.”

Roddick may not get his fairytale ending at Wimbledon. Whatever happens, though, nothing can dampen his competitive edge or love for the game. “He just views [setbacks] as a challenge and seems to find a new source of motivation and just works even harder,” states Gimelstob.

“What else am I going to do?” says Roddick. “I know a handful of people who really enjoy what they do and I really enjoy what I do. So there’s really no reason not to keep driving on.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE- … ddick.aspx

Bardzo fajny artykuł.

'03.07.2011 - Tennis Died' [*]

#564 18-06-2011 15:56:33

jaccol55

Administrator

Andy Roddick's search for affirmation

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0614/ten_g_roddick_576.jpg
Don't discount Andy Roddick's Wimbledon chances quite yet.

There's always some little sideshow when Andy Roddick rolls into London, and England's famous tabloids are happy to keep it rolling along. Two years ago it was Rick Astley. Last year, it was World Cup officiating. This year -- brace yourself -- it might be the Wurzels, an excruciating British band that music references categorize as "scrumpy and western" and Roddick called "part shock-horror, part awesome."

Or maybe it'll be the socks -- the calf-less numbers Roddick was sporting at Queen's last week. They have either been hiding behind his ankle braces all this time or reveal a rankings-fashion pecking order we had previously been unaware of. Remember, short-socks aficionado Mardy Fish recently moved ahead of Roddick to become the top-ranked American for the first time. Then there's Roddick's tongue-in-cheek explanation: "Everyone comments on how my wife has nice legs, so I just decided to display them also. I can't come in second in the family in everything." Either way, it's slightly unsettling.

All of this serves to distract nicely from the fact that Roddick's Wimbledon prospects are also distinctly unsettled. All the ambiguity was summed up by Roddick's words after a 59-minute demolition by Andy Murray in the semifinals at Queen's. "It certainly does nothing to my confidence level going into Wimbledon," Roddick said.

Roddick meant that Murray had simply played too well for the result to mean much. True, to an extent. Just two days later, Murray was the one standing by helplessly as Jo-Wilfried Tsonga dominated the first set of their final. But the Scot managed to turn things around and win the title. But Roddick, who watched Murray out-slice, out-maneuver and, yes, out-serve him certainly won't have done anything for the American's confidence going into Wimbledon. Roddick converted more than 80 percent of his first serves during the match, a stellar number, yet by the end of the match he was quipping "keep it social," as Murray sent a particularly vicious return rifling past him.

By his own estimation, he remains one of the "two hands' worth" of players who are truly comfortable on grass. But two years removed from his thrilling Wimbledon final against Federer, is Roddick still a potential title threat?

The big four of Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Murray loom so large these days that few are expected to have a look in, though Roddick is at or near the top of the list of outsiders. The once-crushing power looks more medium-sized every year, but Roddick's serve still does a lot of work for him on the grass, and his slice backhand can be an effective weapon on this surface. With grass-court matches dependent on taking advantage of brief windows of opportunity, this competitive skills and experience are also an advantage against much of the field. But a lot has to go right to reach the semifinals, and even more to make it any further. And a tricky draw could easily spell an early exit.

But more generally, what Roddick will be searching for during Wimbledon and the upcoming summer is affirmation -- that he can still beat the best, still threaten at the biggest events. The 2009 Wimbledon final served as that two years ago, and last year it was the title in Miami title, beating Nadal along the way. Roddick is still searching for that affirming result this year. After a good, but not great, start to the season, he battled illness in Memphis, foot problems in Miami, the usual "clayitis" in the spring and a shoulder problem that prompted him to pull out of the French Open. Add to that last year's mononucleosis and thigh injury during the fall, and it has been a trying time.

So all in all, he's quite happy just to be healthy and in a position to make a run. "I felt really good when I got here, but after having not played well for two months or so, getting that to translate wasn't always an easy thing," he told reporters last week. "Got four matches, which is really important, and I feel prepared going into the practice week for Wimbledon."

The injury setbacks do at least mean that he is arriving at Wimbledon with less pressure than usual and a lot fresher than most of the field, particularly the top four, who all made the semifinals of the French Open. That, plus the quicker, low-bouncing courts, means that this may be his best chance of making an impression on a big occasion this season.

"I think grass is my favorite surface just because we never get to play on it. So I really, you know, enjoy when we do," he said. "I enjoy the city that the grass courts are in. You know, I think all that makes it probably one of my favorite months of the year being over here."

Having played the main draw for a full decade now, he has settled into a routine -- a rented house, familiar restaurants, even a regular cabbie. There has also been some Americanization -- Wimbledon now has a Starbucks and a Whole Foods, and a lot more U.S. programming on television than there was during Roddick's debut in 2001.

That year, he was the third-round victim in Goran Ivanisevic's unexpected run to the title. Since then, he has become the new Ivanisevic figure -- a three-time finalist almost as affectionately regarded by the locals as one of their own -- except when playing one of their own. The 28-year-old will begin the tournament without much fanfare, but should he start to make a run, the crowd will quickly get behind him. At least until he runs into Murray again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis … id=6659677

#565 19-06-2011 23:32:30

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Roddick flies under the radar, except with British media

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/06/19/wimbledon-andy-roddick-diary-I0651G3-x.jpg

Andy Roddick, the No. 8 seed, is a three-time Wimbledon runner-up. He opens play against qualifier Andreas Beck on Monday. He'll check in with USA TODAY's Douglas Robson throughout the fortnight.

I arrived at Wimbledon about a week ago after playing the grass-court tuneup at Queens. I always get a kick out of staying in the village. You bump into everyone all the time. Going to a restaurant is basically like an extension of the players' lounge. You say hi to four to five before you sit down at your table.

We have a healthy entourage in our flat this year: My wife, Brooklyn Decker; my coach, Larry Stefanki; my physiotherapist, Doug Spreen; and Stephen Little, a cabbie I befriended a few years ago. It's a full house.

I always have a fun rapport with the reporters and tabloids here in England. A couple years ago they were on me for liking singer Rick Astley. Last year it was my criticism of World Cup officiating. Another year it was my appearance on a British game show. Really, I don't plan anything.

This year they asked me what I do during a rain delay at Queens. I said I was playing the mobile app Angry Birds, and they thought that was hilarious. Next thing I know it was trending on Twitter here. I thought it was a pretty straightforward answer. It's only like the most downloaded app ever!

Of course the talk of the last couple days has been the rematch of Isner-Mahut. I heard about it from an attendant in the locker room on Friday during the draw ceremony. My reaction was no different than anyone else. C'mon, really? Another American, Sam Querrey, had to pull out of Wimbledon and just had surgery on his elbow. From all reports it went as well as it could have considering what was going on. You just feel bad for him. I guess it's something he had to take care of before it got worse.

Heading into Monday's first round, I'm feeling great about my game even though I haven't played a lot the last couple of months. The last 3-4 weeks have been the most positive I've had in a while. I played pretty well at Queens, where I lost to Andy Murray in the semifinals.

I don't know much about my first-round opponent, Andreas Beck of Germany. We have never played. I've had to do some research, and YouTube is my friend when I'm not totally familiar with guys. I was able to find some slow-mo of his strokes, some different things and clips from matches. Larry and I were watching some of that (Sunday) morning, and I'll probably try to ask a couple of guys later in the afternoon what he's all about.

There's talk that I'm flying under the radar this year, but I don't care. I don't mean that in a way where you're trying to be cool for not caring. I'm just not that concerned with it. I've done it both ways — on the radar and off — and at this point it's not going to affect me either way.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2 … iary_n.htm

#566 20-06-2011 12:42:28

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Wimbledon Draw Out, Roddick Seeded 8th

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/fullsize/wimbleon2011d.jpg

The streets of SW19 are buzzing again, both with excitement and tennis players, as the grass courts have welcomed back the world’s best ATP and WTA players to the oldest, most prestigious grand slam- The Championships at Wimbledon. With it being the 125th anniversary here, the draw has been completed and looks to be promising in delivering many thrilling matches, just as it has done all of the fortnights before.

The No. 1 American has been seeded 8th, landing the last spot in the top half of the draw. Up first, Roddick will take on qualifier Andreas Beck of Germany, ranked 156th in the world with a career high of 33rd (2009), whom he has never played before. Our three-time Wimbledon finalist shares this half and could potentially clash with these Top Ten-ers: Frenchman Gael Monfils (9), the All England Lawn and Tennis Club’s resident competitor, Andy Murray (4), and the world No. 1 Rafael Nadal.

Stay tuned to AR.com for the latest from London!

http://www.andyroddick.com/2011/06/19/w … d-seventh/

#567 21-06-2011 22:46:59

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Roddick Begins Title Quest

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/F7419899C3A6459283F52FFEF6933B54.ashx
Andy Roddick is a three-time
finalist at Wimbledon.

Three-time finalist Andy Roddick was pushed close in a three-set win as he began his 11th Wimbledon campaign with a 6-4, 7-6(6), 6-3 victory over German qualifier Andreas Beck on Tuesday at The Championships. The match had been scheduled for Monday, but was postponed due to rain.

Roddick was given an early work out by the resilient Beck, who led by a mini-break in the second set tie-break before Roddick regained control in time to clinch a two-set lead. The eighth seed then broke serve twice in the third set to claim victory in two hours and 15 minutes. A strong serving display from the American saw him fire 30 aces, which he backed up with 42 winners.

Reflecting on the importance of the tie-break, Roddick said, "[It] was a big difference between two-sets-to-love and one-set-all.  I felt like I was serving well. I felt like I was playing better than him. Last thing I wanted was to feel that way and be even. That was a big breaker for me."

The Texas resident came into Wimbledon on the strength of a semi-final showing at The Queen’s Club, where he lost out to Andy Murray. He is bidding to win the Wimbledon trophy for the first time after runner-up efforts to Roger Federer in 2004-2005 and in 2009, when he lost 16-14 in the fifth set.

The 28-year-old Roddick, who has one Grand Slam title to his name after winning the 2003 US Open, goes on to face Romania’s Victor Hanescu for a place in the third round. Hanescu was a 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 winner against Czech Jaroslav Pospisil.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … ances.aspx

#568 22-06-2011 01:14:09

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Wywiad z Rodem w studiu ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6687322

Chyba się pogodzili z Gilbertem.

#569 22-06-2011 16:31:56

COA

Last hit for Wimby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rQmyAxS3U

Piosenka o której Rod mówił podczas konferencji prasowej po 1 rundzie.

Ostatnio edytowany przez COA (22-06-2011 16:32:16)

MTT GOAT (2xWimbledon, US Open, 7 innych, w tym Miami i Queens)

Come on Andy!

#570 22-06-2011 17:07:19

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

COA napisał:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9rQmyAxS3U

Piosenka o której Rod mówił podczas konferencji prasowej po 1 rundzie.

Już w Queens o tym wspominał.

Dobre to jest.

#571 22-06-2011 20:46:22

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 1 rundzie

A. Roddick bt A. Beck 6 4, 7 6, 6 3

Q. Things better than usual here?

ANDY RODDICK: They're usually pretty good. I like it here.

Q. Serena just talked about how it was such a relief to get out of the first round, that she was thinking to herself, Please don't let me lose in the first round.

ANDY RODDICK: Sure.

Q. Can you address maybe how much more difficult the first round is than maybe the quarterfinals.

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, yeah, as far as I think it's impossible not to be anxious for the first round of a slam. There's so much build up. I can only imagine for her. I mean, she's been looking at it for a year now, so...

I know we normally feel it. There's always a little bit of, you know, anxiety before you play your first round. You kind of got to work it out. You saw last night with Murray, and then he found his groove. It's kind of just a matter of getting through.

By the time you're in the quarters, your game is there, you've played matches, it's just a matter of executing at that point. I can certainly relate to her sentiment, yeah.

Q. How good did that tiebreak in the second feel?

ANDY RODDICK: It was a big difference between two sets to love and one set all. Yeah, I felt like I was serving well. I felt like I was playing better than him. Last thing I wanted was to feel that way and be even, you know.

That was a big breaker for me.

Q. He came up with a pretty special backhand volley on the first set point. Did that make you think, Oops, I have to play well here?

ANDY RODDICK: You know what? For the last probably four or five games of that set, he was coming out of his shoes. He had a pretty smart game plan. He wasn't going to rally much. He was just going to take his shots and go really aggressive.

It worked most of the day. Normally when you have that mindset, you can count on someone making errors in bunches. Luckily he made two when he was up in that breaker.

He certainly, you know, had an obvious game plan and executed it for most of the day.

Q. Talk about your friend Serena and what her fighting spirit, what makes her special in this comeback.

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think one thing we've never really questioned with Serena is her competitive spirit. I think especially when she gets out there, I think she just hates losing.

You know, I don't count her out of any situation. I don't think it surprised anybody in this room if she went on and won this tournament. I don't know how many people you can say that about after a year.

And a lot of that she's proven she can even not play well early and then almost play her way into shape. You know, she goes from spring training to mid season in like three days.

Q. Is there something a little other worldly about her fire, competitiveness?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, you can insert whatever superlative you want. She's a fighter. She always has been since I've known her. Since she was eight years old, she's been that way.

Q. Do you think it would be possible on the men's circuit? Serena, Clijsters, they come back after one, two, three years, and they're still competitive.

ANDY RODDICK: It hasn't. You know, we've had a lot of great champions, you know, try to come back after a couple years. We're not talking months; we're talking a year and a half, two years.

Q. Now you have Del Potro.

ANDY RODDICK: Still, not even a year. I think it's more difficult. It's proven that it can be done in the women's game. I don't know that it's been proven that it can be done in the men's game. For whatever reason that is, I'm not sure. We don't have to worry about having babies, so...

Q. For sports fans back home, how would you explain or describe the level of attention or scrutiny Andy Murray is under here these two weeks, and Tim Henman before him?

ANDY RODDICK: Sure. You know, I've been front and center as far as tennis in my own country for a long time. I don't think it compares to what those guys go through here. I don't feel like I can relate.

You know, he gets the full rundown of he practiced for 36 minutes, then he ate a Snickers bar and then continued for another 14 minutes, and then it's like and that's on page four. We already read the first three pages of the day. You know, it's a little tough (laughter).

Q. You've been here a long time now. At one point you were the bad guy upsetting Tim Henman.

ANDY RODDICK: Actually, I never played Tim Henman here. But I'm still the bad guy. Point taken, but... (Laughter.)

Q. Do you feel you're a popular guy with the locals now?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. You know, I think a lot changes over the course of 10 or 11 years. You almost look and say nothing's really the same, as it was.

There's a lot of stuff that changes. It's tough for me to kind of look at my relationship with the fans here objectively.

I know from my end I certainly enjoy it. I'm not going to speak for them, for sure.

Q. You got good support today.

ANDY RODDICK: It felt great. They've always been great to me, even when I was fake beating Tim Henman (smiling).

Q. Do you ever think about your past or you always think about the present and future? I mean, 16 14 in the fifth set is still something that sticks out in your mind or you try to forget?

ANDY RODDICK: No, I don't think I've ever said that I'm going to try to forget it. I get asked about it a lot. But that was one of the most enjoyable tournaments I ever had. I'm not trying to forget it.

If there was a major event in your life, you probably wouldn't forget it. It's no different for me. It's just that I play tennis and you guys watched it.

Q. It still gives you confidence two years after?

ANDY RODDICK: Listen, I didn't need to play that match to know that I could play on grass. It's something that I feel like I can do pretty well. I understand a lot of the nuances of it. I made runs in the slams before.

I'm healthy for the first time in a while. You know, I don't feel like I'm compromising my game right now. So I feel good about where I'm at.

Q. Do you feel like the last couple years you've had a lot of mini comebacks from injuries?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I had a pretty clean bill of health through '09, and then I tore up my knee a little bit. Yeah, I think that's fair. I feel like I've been stopping and starting a lot; then playing through something.

There's been a lot of those decisions: do you go or shut it down and get it right? I've done both. You know, I don't know if there's a perfect solution.

Q. Right now Tiger Woods is going through injuries. For an athlete, your body is so important. What is it like when you can't play at the level you want to because you're injured?

ANDY RODDICK: It's very frustrating. I mean, you have injuries and then you try to play around your injuries. You know you can't play completely comfortable or completely by instinct or the way you'd want to. That's what I meant when I said, you know, you don't want to play compromised.

It's tough. You have the physical dynamic. But then I think almost worse is the mental dynamic of knowing you're not completely right. The small margins that represent a win or a loss in sports, you know, become even smaller when something isn't perfect.

Q. Are you going to stay for the Isner/Mahut match?

ANDY RODDICK: Stay? No. I have to play tomorrow. I can't stay here three nights.

Q. Is it kind of surprising that Roger Federer hasn't really had any kind of injury to take him out?

ANDY RODDICK: Not really. He doesn't even look like he's trying when he plays, so how you gonna get hurt (smiling)?

Q. Apart from the top four seeds, is there anybody that catches your eye, predictions, anyone that could make the semis or finals?

ANDY RODDICK: Anyone outside the top four that could make the semis or finals? I can make the semis or finals. I've done it before.

Q. Apart from yourself and the other top four.

ANDY RODDICK: I'm focused on what I'm doing. I'm not in the business of predictions. I'll leave that to you all.

Q. The top four here coming in all playing well, all having proven how well they could play on grass, how would you describe the strength of the top four seeds here?

ANDY RODDICK: They're playing great tennis. You can point at any one of them and certainly compliment their pedigree. Seems like they're all in form right now, which isn't always the case. I mean, they deserve all the credit and attention they get right now.

Q. Of all the tournaments you've been in, can you compare the strength at a particular time the top four seeds with this group?

ANDY RODDICK: No. I mean, I think we always have a tendency to overexaggerate the present, but they're certainly playing very well. You know, I came up with Agassi and Sampras. They weren't too bad either.

Q. How would you describe the difference in tone and press coverage here of Murray and maybe of yourself and other athletes in the U.S.?

ANDY RODDICK: One, tennis isn't one of the biggest sports in the U.S. Two, the beginning of my career, I had the cushion of Andre and Pete. Even now I'm the second American, and there are guys consistently ranked 20 and 30. Here it's Murray or bust, kind of. So I think those are the differences.

Obviously we're not pulling from 50 states, either. It's not as big of a thing, so...

Q. You said you feel like you can reach semis and finals. You've been on and off all year with injuries. You feel ball striking wise, coming off Queen's, that your game is in a place where, like you said about Serena, if you can get in a couple good matches you can make a decent run?

ANDY RODDICK: I feel healthy. I know what it takes to go deep at this tennis tournament.

Q. We heard John McEnroe saying the other day we should get rid of the pre-match knock up. Do you find the knock up is important to you?

ANDY RODDICK: The knock up meaning the warm up?

Q. Yes.

ANDY RODDICK: I think it's easy to not have the warm up when you're not the one not doing it anymore (smiling).

Q. There's some who talk about the role of luck in our sport, draws, health, what generation you're born into. Talk about the role of luck in tennis.

ANDY RODDICK: Well, what was it Gary Player said? The harder you work, the luckier you get. That and what? Hard work meets opportunity.

Luck affects a very small margin of matches, I think. There's one or two a year where you feel like you got through 'em even though maybe you definitely shouldn't have and probably one or two the other way, so maybe people that are unlucky maybe just need to get better. I don't know.

Q. Can you remember a lucky moment and an unlucky moment?

ANDY RODDICK: I can remember one lucky moment, for sure. Semi-finals here, fourth set breaker against Johansson. He served wide and I hit the ugliest hack return of all time, like literally it was rising as it hit the net. It hit and just bounced over to give me match point and I hit a serve. That was it.

Q. You spoke earlier about Serena Williams coming back. When Serena and Venus are not able to play, how would you describe the void there is on the women's tour?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, again, you want to answer this question without being disrespectful to the current players, because I certainly understand how hard it is regardless.

But they are the biggest crossover stars that we have in the women's game. I think that's undisputed. I feel like people who don't care about tennis still care about what Serena's wearing. I feel like they still care about what she's going to say or what she's going to do. Oh, she hasn't played in a year? I'm going to watch that. They bring that sort of attention to the game, which can only be beneficial for everybody involved, even the players, you know, who are playing when they're not there.

Q. Ryan Harrison, you've had a lot of involvement. Talk about where you think he is, what you like to see from him in the next seven or eight months.

ANDY RODDICK: He's got ability. He's got to harness that energy a little bit. He goes a little mental sometimes. That's coming from me, so... (Smiling).

For him, I think it's been the ears at this point. He certainly serves well. He competes. I think everything that's going to be tough for him is going to make him better, too, because he cares so much about winning and losing, which I don't think we've had enough of, frankly, in the States as far as the up and coming players.

It's just a matter of I think him figuring out a comfortable line where it's not a different emotion every day.

Q. What are you listening to this fortnight, still the Wurzels?

ANDY RODDICK: I'm still trying to get that damn song out of my head (laughter).

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/int … 70869.html

#572 23-06-2011 00:17:34

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Roddick Remains Perfect Against Hanescu

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/1978484D8995428FB4BEBAC6197A357F.ashx
Roddick has won all nine sets
he's played against Hanescu.

Three-time Wimbledon runner-up Andy Roddick continued his pursuit of a first title at the All England Club with a 6-4, 6-3, 6-4 win over Victor Hanescu in the second round Wednesday.  "I felt pretty good... I served well,  I returned well," evaluated Roddick.  "I was aggressive coming forward. We finished with a little bit of light left, so all in all it was a good day."

Seeded No. 8, Roddick was virtually untouchable on his first serve, winning 93 per cent of those points, which included 15 aces. Roddick attributed the strong serving performance to a change he made to his grip prior to his arrival at SW19. "I was serving in the 50s this year up until whenever I came over here, and that's not really right for me," said Roddick. " I was having to kind of force my serve a little bit. I went home with a shoulder injury, came back, and kind of fiddled a little bit... it was just a slight little grip change. It was good."

The American broke the Romanian in the final game of the match to lock up his fourth win in four meetings with Hanescu, winning all nine sets they’ve played.

In the third round, Roddick will play Feliciano Lopez. The Spaniard defeated former Wimbledon semi-finalist Rainer Schuettler 7-6(3), 6-7(3), 6-2, 6-2 to advance.

Dmitry Tursunov edged Ernests Gulbis 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(12), 7-6(1) to win his first match at a Grand Slam event since the 2008 US Open. The Russian overcame 24 aces served by Gulbis to even his record against the Latvian to one win a piece. Tursunov will play No. 11 seed Jurgen Melzer in a second round clash Thursday.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis … Three.aspx

#573 24-06-2011 12:19:55

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Third Round Preview: Andy vs. Lopez

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/fullsize/wimbleon2011h.jpg

In the third Round of Wimbledon, Andy faces Feliciano Lopez. The Spaniard battled past Berrer and Schuettler to set up Friday’s clash. This will be the 8th meeting between the two. Andy holds a perfect 7-0 record, most recently defeating Lopez just a few weeks ago at the AEGON Championships.

Andy has grown used to discussing American Tennis in his press conferences but this week he has been talking about a first in his career.

“This is the first time (my parents have) seen me play here. Honestly, I didn’t really believe it. I thought they were here for one of the finals. I thought they flew over and were sitting here somewhere but they wouldn’t tell me. I think today was the first time they ever sat in a box in my entire career, you know. They picked a good court to debut that on. I think they’re having fun. They’re having a good time.”

We are sure the Roddicks will be cheering loudly again tomorrow as Andy fights for a bid into the fourth round.

Check out some stats on the left handed Lopez courtesy of the ATP World Tour:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Play … Lopez.aspx

andyroddick.com

#574 24-06-2011 18:47:07

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2011 - wywiad po zwycięstwie w 2 rundzie

A. RODDICK bt Victor Hanescu 6-4, 6-3, 6-4

Q. Talk about how it was out there today.

ANDY RODDICK: I felt pretty good. I served well. I returned well. I was aggressive coming forward. We finished with a little bit of light left, so all in all it was a good day.

Q. Could you take a moment and talk about the job you think the American media does covering tennis.

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think I'm going to have to separate this into first of all, there's no way I can answer this and have it be a win for me, but I'm going to do it anyways.
I'm going to separate. Tennis journalists like yourselves who cover week to week to week to week to week I think do a great job, and I respect the job that you guys do. Someone who, you know, covers something and it's the first tennis match they've ever been to and all of a sudden they become an expert bothers me a little bit. I feel like we get that sometimes. That's probably the only time where I get a little perturbed, when someone isn't, one, researched, and when I feel like they have their article written before a match takes place.

Q. Is that mostly in terms of is tennis dying, a country club sport?

ANDY RODDICK: Listen. Here is what we're going to do. If you want to talk about an, Is tennis dying article, let's go by participation numbers, retail numbers, prize money, up, up, up, up, up. I hear this, Tennis is dying. Maybe it's water cooler talk. But I'll put more stock in the business of tennis in our country growing as opposed to having fun conversations around a water cooler.

Q. Why do you think it is that people refuse to accept the stats? The Wall Street Journal printed some stats which said that tennis over the past nine years is the only sport to increase participation in America.

ANDY RODDICK: This kind of gets to my first point. You can just say something and people read it as fact, but it's not researched. If you look at racquet sales, USTA memberships, across the board, it's been up. Do we have four guys in the top five in the world? No, we don't. That's about the only difference. That doesn't mean that tennis is dying. It's an international sport. I feel like a lot of times people refuse to accept that back home, which is unfortunate. It's as international a sport as there is as far as popularity. I feel like it doesn't get its maybe fair shake.

Q. 720,000 people at the US Open.

ANDY RODDICK: Listen, I can sit here and I can have two pages full of pros, the water cooler conversation as a con. So I like to deal in facts, and the facts say the whole dying thing, it's not accurate.

Q. What does it mean to have your parents here after all these years? Their first trip here.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, this is the first time they've seen me play here. Honestly, I didn't really believe it. I thought they were here for one of the finals. I thought they flew over and were sitting here somewhere but they wouldn't tell me. I think today was the first time they ever sat in a box in my entire career, you know. They picked a good court to debut that on. I think they're having fun. They're having a good time.

Q. You grew up in South Florida with Alex Bogomolov. He's really struggled. Up until this tournament, he's won one match in a Grand Slam tournament. Why do you think maybe he's struggling? Why do you think he's coming into his own now?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, I think I'd be answering from a place of ignorance if I was to comment on Alex. I know he's always been a fighter. I'm happy to see him do well because he's always worked pretty hard and he's always had the desire. As for why all of a sudden he's having, you know, kind of a renaissance of sorts at 27 or 28 years old, I don't know. I'm not sure.

Q. You had a quick quip the other day for the question about McEnroe suggesting that perhaps the warmups aren't necessary.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah.

Q. Has there ever been a circumstance where you've chosen not to do that warmup?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, I'm going to interrupt you. Today I sat around for four and a half hours because the matches went long. I looked at Date and Venus and Rafa and Ryan. There were potentials for those matches to go no disrespect to anybody for those matches to go fast. All of a sudden I've been sitting around for four and a half hours, and he wants me to go serve 145. That's irresponsible is what it is.

Q. I was wondering if you've ever had anything strange happen in the warmups? In a couple of the women's warmups there have been incidents that have caused great drama.

ANDY RODDICK: Like?

Q. People being hit by shots, thinking it was done on purpose.

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, don't walk too close to your opponent in the locker room also. We might as well have 128 different dressing rooms. By that logic, we can go a million different ways.
I'm certainly fine with warming up before a sporting event. I'm pretty sure that every other sport in the universe does it. I'm okay with it.

Q. Jimmy Connors had a comment saying the other day that these days rivalries are getting soft. Could you talk about the evolution of rivalries, even going back to Connors, McEnroe, Borg?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, honestly, if we behaved and talked to each other the way they did, we would get thrown out of tournaments. We're not allowed to, you know, grab ourselves and talk to the umpire. We're not allowed to do that. We just can't. So if it means trying to prove how much I hate someone by doing something like that, I'd rather play in a tournament. The fact that we have, you know, the hierarchy of our game now being probably the most committed to things outside of tennis, whether it be media, whether it be charitable responsibilities, you don't see Roger and Rafa have a bad day as far as that stuff goes. So if that's soft, I hope we're all soft.

Q. Do you agree with Marat who say the rules are way too rigid?

ANDY RODDICK: Listen, I can see both ways. I can see how all the stuff that I just mentioned, we can make it a Springer episode out there and it would probably get ratings. But it's not my choice. You do have to play within them, though, if there is a structure there. I don't think the rules can be forgotten when making statements.

Q. I know you like to have a pretty good volume of matches before you come into slams. How do you feel about your volume coming in here?

ANDY RODDICK: Fine now. Queen's was big. I was down a break in the third set to López, who I play next. Going out there first round would not have been good, but getting four matches there I think was necessary. I felt like I hit the ball great there. I feel fine now. So I think it was important. It's fine now.

Q. Talk a bit about your serve. Made some small adjustments in that.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it was just a slight little grip change. I was serving in the 50s this year up until whenever I came over here, and that's not really right for me. I was having to kind of force my serve a little bit. Went home with a shoulder injury, came back, and kind of fiddled a little bit. It was good (snapping fingers).
I don't know eastern, western. I turned a little.

Q. You've served so well for so many years. Was it strange for you to adjust something to that shot?
ANDY RODDICK: I think I had slowly developed a bad habit as opposed to I think it's back to where it was as opposed to me changing anything I've done for a decade. That would probably explain why my shoulder was beat up, too. If you change something, are hitting something different than a way you have before, even without knowing, sometimes have you to go back to basics. I never had to do that on my serve before. But is that all it was? I don't know. But I feel good with where it's at right now.

Q. I remember when you first came out, started doing great, there was a lot of concern about your shoulder because of the way you served, coming from the outside. How much has it been an obsession of yours to keep that healthy?

ANDY RODDICK: Listen, I wasn't stupid. Well, I wasn't stupid about that. I knew that that was where I was going to make my living. I hired my trainer, Doug, at a young age before it was like the thing to do. You know, I think I was 20, 21 and had someone full time. Every match we ice it, we work on it. It still feels good.
I had a couple little blips. But considering the popular prediction back in 2001 when I was first here, I feel like I've gotten you guys by about seven or eight years now.

Q. Speaking of your support team, your coach is going to be inducted into a regional Hall of Fame in about five weeks. What can you say about what he brings to the game?

ANDY RODDICK: Shows how much I know or how much he talks about himself, because I didn't know that. He's just got a very high tennis IQ. He sees different styles. I just respect his opinion. I feel like there's a very, very, very small group of people who get stroke production, tendencies, in and outs of how to play. You know, he definitely gets that.
You know, he's very good about kind of I guess adjusting. He's had a lot of different personalities he's worked with, from myself to Henman to Rios to McEnroe. With the exception of Tim, some pretty difficult personalities. I think that's a talent in itself.

Q. You talked the other day about being injured, just how frustrating and difficult that can be. Is there a tug of war that goes on internally or externally when you know you have sponsor obligations or the public wants to see you? How does that play into just the process of knowing when to come back?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know that it's so much sponsor obligations. It's just that you want to be out there. You don't want to miss stuff. There's been a couple times where you play a little dinged up and it works; the majority of the time it doesn't. As an athlete, you're almost an eternal optimist going into something. Like last year with mono, the week before Cincinnati, the doc told me I was supposed to play 30 minutes a day, and I promptly went and played five straight three setters. To me that's better than sitting at home. That's kind of the give and take. I like what I do. I enjoy it. I think that's kind of where the hardest part of it is.

Q. Tiger announced he won't be returning to his tournament. What would you give advice to someone like him?
ANDY RODDICK: I'm sure he's diligent. He knows what he's doing as far as golf goes.

Q. Can you sympathize?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know what's going on with his knee. But anytime you're not doing, you know, what you want as far as you're living and what you do I mean, he is a golfer. He plays golf. And when that's not there and that's not an option, it's probably frustrating.

Q. You said you played those three setters. Did you do that because you know there's a finite period, you won't be doing this at 60, 70 like journalists?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I don't know that I fear not playing forever. When I'm home, I'm perfectly happy. As long as I can still play, I enjoy playing tennis when I'm home, when I'm not at a tournament. I don't think I really fear that. I'm pretty happy with what I've put in that far and I'm at peace with it. I don't know that I force something because I feel, like you said, there's an end of the road. I don't know that I make decisions based upon that.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/int … 41591.html

#575 24-06-2011 19:19:07

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Roddick determined to soldier on

http://www.wimbledon.com/images/pics/large/b_03_roddick_139_aeltc_j_buckle.jpg

For someone who has been in the top 10 for a decade Andy Roddick's honesty is what shines through as much as his ability, his theme being that he is not as talented as some in the sport but he is willing to work at it and, most important of all, to adapt. So Roddick was insisting after his defeat by Feliciano Lopez (after having beaten him seven straight times previously) that he will take on board what happened and move forward.

Roddick's honesty was evident when he praised Lopez for "an outstanding match" , adding, "He played better than I did. He played as complete a match as he's played against me" That made it easier, he stressed, to walk away from Wimbledon and move forward than in 2008, when he felt he choked in losing to Janko Tipsarevic in the second round or last year when he had "a million opportunities and kind of gave it away" against Yen-Hsun Lu of Taipei in the fourth round. Those defeats, he said, were tougher to take then, and still are.

In between those defeats came Roddick's third appearance in a Wimbledon final, when he lost 16-14 in the fifth set to Roger Federer, after which his coach, Larry Stefanki, praised Andy as "among the top four grass court players on the planet".

Roddick denied that another early defeat here was a blow to his ambitions at a tournament he loves above all others. "No, you keep moving forward until you decide to stop. At this point I've not decided to stop so I'll keep moving forward."

Roddick has been the torchbearer for American tennis in an era dominated by two Europeans, Federer and Rafael Nadal. In Grand Slam terms he has only the 2003 US Open title to cherish but fulfilled another great ambition by winning the Davis Cup for the United States in 2007 and now is able to look forward to another Davis Cup occasion next month, in his home town of Austin, against a Spain team which will include Lopez.

Going forward to that tie, Roddick sums up his season so far as "average". He explained, "I felt good coming in [to Wimbledon]. Normally when you don't play well at a Slam you don't feel on top of things. But I felt on top of things since I got here. I feel like I've played worse and gotten further before, so it's disappointing in that sense."

Asked whether he felt he was still improving as a tennis player, Roddick replied, "Not this year. I don't think I've played my best since probably April of last year. But it has to get better there's no doubt."

Meantime, Roddick gave away the racket which had brought him defeat as he left Centre Court to a small boy. "I figured it was going to go to waste on the bottom of my foot", he smiled. "So I figured a seven-year-old would get more use out of it."

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/art … 70100.html

#576 26-06-2011 11:29:06

Serenity

User

Wimbledon 2011 - wywiad po porażce w 3 rundzie

A. Roddick def. by F. Lopez 6-7, 6-7, 4-6.

Q. How tough is it when a guy plays as good grass court tennis as he did out there today?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, he played well. I mean, this year's a lot easier to deal with than, let's say, last year where I feel like I gave it away.

I got beat. He came out. He served about as well as someone has.

You know, the stuff that's enabled me to beat him seven times, making passing shots under duress, making him play defence on his forehand, he did well today. Mixed up his serve. There weren't a whole lot of patterns.

So he played an outstanding match.

Q. Do you feel like Feliciano's serving is in the top five of the tour right now or top three?

ANDY RODDICK: I think in order to be one of those guys, I think you have to do it for a long period of time. You know, today for sure. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Q. Last time you played, he fired 35 aces. You still won. Today you lost. He didn't fire as many aces. It was just the passing shots or the level of consistency he had?

ANDY RODDICK: Let's not get too caught up on a number of aces. I mean, the way that you represented that stat was that it was the be all, end all. I'm not sure that's the case.

I thought his second serve was great today. He mixed it up. You know, he was consistently you know, for a lefty to be able to play both sides of the box on a second serve with pace was tough. And he didn't, you know with Feliciano, he holds a lot at Love or 15. A couple times a set you normally get a look at Love 15, Love 30. And today he didn't dig himself any holes. He played the first points of the games very well.

Q. How are the emotions different for you as you get older in your career at these opportunities when they disappear, even if it's when another player just picks up his game against you?

ANDY RODDICK: Uhm, I'm not sure. I mean, I think it is a big difference to where if you feel like, you know, you played pretty well. I mean, you look at the numbers. He played great.

He played better than I did. You know, I think, you know, he beat me. It's easier for me to walk out of here with that and move forward with that than, let's say, '08 where I lost to Tipsarevic and I felt like I completely choked or last year where I just kind of had a million opportunities and kind of gave it away. Those are tougher to take now, I think.

Q. You say you played well and still lost. Does it not make it harder thinking you have to come back next year and play even better to get beyond this?

ANDY RODDICK: Say that again.

Q. If you say you played well but still lost today, it's easier to take, does it not make it harder for the future?

ANDY RODDICK: I probably played like shit in third rounds and won before, too. The thing you guys have to understand is there's no script. Some days you're going to play well and lose, and some days you're going to play like crap and win.

Of course you have to come back and play better next year. I lost in the third round. Is that what you're looking for? I'm confused on how to go about that question.

Q. You said you lost a couple years ago and gave it away.

ANDY RODDICK: Yes, last year.

Q. Today you said you played well and still lost.

ANDY RODDICK: He beat me. It's easier to take that way. I just don't understand the context to next year.

Q. To know you may have to play even better next year.

ANDY RODDICK: It's fine. I played well and I've finaled here also. It's just the way it goes in sports sometimes. If it was predictable, it would be like watching a DVD.

Q. As the years go by, do you let thoughts creep in that it might never happen for you here?

ANDY RODDICK: Well, sure. You're human. I mean, of course it does. You know, you may never get your favourite job either. No offence to your current employer.

Q. I'm quite happy.

ANDY RODDICK: That's good. Me, too.

Q. My question was, it must be harder as the year goes on to think of this dream of yours.

ANDY RODDICK: It's similar to the question just asked. What do you do? You keep moving forward until you decide to stop. At this point I've not decided to stop so I'll keep moving forward.

Q. Somebody asked you for an autograph when you were walking off the court, and then you threw the racquet at them.

ANDY RODDICK: No. I just had the racquet in my hand. I figured it was just going to go to waste like a doorstop or something or the bottom of my foot. I figured a seven year old boy would probably get more use out of it than my grass court bottoms.

Q. Were the tiebreakers really the problem?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I mean, a couple times I got in to his backhand, which is known where you want to be in a rally against him. He hit some good shots.

He went big on second serves in those tiebreakers and didn't double once. I mean, he played pretty high risk. He was able to cover up some things that are normally weaknesses.

You know, I feel like he played as complete a match as he's played against me.

Q. Do you have any thoughts about moving forward, the rest of the summer, your plans?

ANDY RODDICK: The next plan is you get ready for Davis Cup. I'm going to be seeing some of these guys again in two weeks. So you go home and regroup and see where we're at then.

Q. Do you think Serena had a just cause, stuck out on Court 2? What were your reflections on that?

ANDY RODDICK: 'Just cause'?

Q. Moaning about the fact she gets relegated to Court 2.

ANDY RODDICK: I don't choose the courts. If it wasn't a little surprising, we wouldn't be talking about it. So there's got to be something to it.

But, you know, I haven't talked to her. We were all pretty surprised about it, I've got to be honest, when we saw it. But as far as I don't know any you're making it sound like there's been some sort of fallout since then.

I haven't seen anything about that. I mean, you know, certainly if anybody deserves to play anywhere, the two Williams sisters do.

Q. How do you see your season so far?

ANDY RODDICK: Average. Average. Uhm, you know, I feel like the way I practised and prepared the last month, I wish I would have gotten more out of it.

I felt good coming in. You know, normally when I don't play well at a slam, you kind of don't feel on top of things. I felt on top of things since I got here.

You know, like I mentioned before, I feel like I've played worse and gotten further before. So, uhm, it's disappointing in that sense. But, you know, I don't feel horrible going into the summer by any means.

Q. Do you feel like the Davis Cup in Chile was the highlight so far? Where does that fit?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. We're talking about a six month window of my entire career. I mean, winning Memphis is nice, keeping kind of that streak alive of winning a tournament for however many odd years that is.

Sure, I mean, winning an away tie on clay gave us an opportunity to move on, so that's good.

You know, listen, guys, you guys have a rough day at work, you get chewed out by your boss, something happens, you pick up and you move on. That's it. That's it.

Q. Have you finally got that song out of your head yet?

ANDY RODDICK: I had till you mentioned that. Thank you. I think you're my favourite journalist this press conference so far (smiling).

Q. You're my favourite tennis player I've spoken to, no shadow of a doubt.

ANDY RODDICK: Thank you (smiling).

Q. They said they sent you a CD of their hits.

ANDY RODDICK: Really? I haven't gotten it yet. Isn't it like a cider drinker?

Q. With Royal Mail delivering it, you'll get it probably by next year.

ANDY RODDICK: When I have to play well again (smiling).

Q. How fast will that court be in Austin?

ANDY RODDICK: It will be on the faster side. I don't think we're going to want to play them on anything slow.

Q. Ryan Harrison said you're an important mentor to him. He talked about some of the advice you give him. What would you want him to take away from the tough match that he had with Ferrer, and what example do you try to show him when you've had a tough match and leave on the wrong side?

ANDY RODDICK: Uhm, you know, Ryan's got a lot of good. He wants to win. I mean, the way he played through three sets is probably the best I've seen him play.

You know, for him it's not so much how he plays. He likes the big stage. He plays well at some bigger events. For him, he's going to have to take care of business in some minor league events so he is there full time.

I told him, I said, You make a career of you make highlights playing above yourself playing good players, but you make a career winning the majority of matches you're supposed to win. I think once he starts doing that, you'll see him rise up pretty quickly.

Q. Do you think you're still improving?

ANDY RODDICK: Not this year. No, I haven't played well this year, for sure. I don't think I've played my best since probably April of last year.

I think I can. Have I over the last year? Probably not. I've been up against some stuff. But it has to get better. There's no doubt.

Q. Talk a little bit about the tie in Austin, what that means to you personally.

ANDY RODDICK: Uhm, it's tough to think about it right now. I'm certainly thankful for the opportunity. It's weird to have my home life in Austin and my tennis life, it seems like they're almost two different existences. For the two of them to come together for that weekend, it's pretty cool.

There's normally such a distinct line between the two. I'm curious to see how it goes. I was excited to see the support that it got in Austin.

Q. How much do you watch this when you leave early? Will you have a chance to watch?

ANDY RODDICK: I normally don't watch much, to be honest. I watch a lot while I'm here. But no disrespect, it's tough for me to watch after I go.

I have a hard time planning my day around watching tennis. I'd rather try to get better at it.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/int … 81359.html

#577 26-06-2011 13:03:35

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Andy Roddick fears he may never win Wimbledon

ANDY Roddick fears he may never win Wimbledon after the three-time finalist suffered a shock third round exit against Feliciano Lopez on Friday.

Roddick has always believed the faster grass courts of Wimbledon made the tournament his best bet to win another grand slam.

But the former US Open champion looks increasingly unlikely to fulfil his dream after yet another early exit from the All England Club.

Although Roddick made the final in 2009 -- losing in five sets to Roger Federer -- the American has now failed to get past the fourth round in three of the last four years.

With age no longer on the 28-year-old's side, he concedes it has occurred to him that he may never get to lift the championship trophy.

"Well, sure. You're human. I mean, of course it does. You may never get your favourite job either," Roddick said.

"I haven't played well this year for sure. I don't think I've played my best since probably April of last year.

"I've been up against some stuff. But it has to get better, there's no doubt.

"You keep moving forward until you decide to stop. At this point I've not decided to stop so I'll keep moving forward."

Although Roddick was hugely disappointed not to make the second week of his favourite grand slam, he insisted he wasn't as devastated as when he lost in the second round against Janko Tipsarevic in 2008 and Lu Yen-Hsun in the fourth round last year.

"It's easier for me to walk out of here and move forward with that than, let's say, 2008 where I lost to Tipsarevic and I felt like I completely choked or last year where I had a million opportunities and gave it away," Roddick said.

"The thing you guys have to understand is there's no script. Some days you're going to play well and lose, and some days you're going to play like crap and win."

Lopez, twice a Wimbledon quarter-finalist, served brilliantly and stopped Roddick establishing his power-game as the world No.44 secured a tie against Gael Monfils or Lukasz Kubot in the last 16.

The Spaniard once ended Tim Henman's Wimbledon career in 2007, but he described the win over Roddick as the best of his career.

"It's definitely great win for me. I beat a couple of great players in Wimbledon in the last 10 years. But to beat Andy in this court is very special, of course. I would say maybe the best probably," said Lopez who sent 57 winners past the American.

"When you play Andy Roddick here, you never expect to win two straight tiebreaks against him. So I'm really happy with my performance. I think the grass, it was always my best surface."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tenni … 6081820804

#578 04-07-2011 16:30:10

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/1393028/large.jpg

#579 06-07-2011 17:05:37

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Andy Roddick’s Davis Cup Legacy

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/fullsize/daviscup2011-1.jpg

At the age of 28, Andy Roddick is preparing to play in his 25th Davis Cup tie this weekend when the United States meets Spain in the World Group quarter-finals in Austin. He is joined in the American team by Mardy Fish and Wimbledon doubles champions Bob and Mike Bryan as they look to take a step closer to winning a 33rd title in the ITF men’s team competition.

Roddick made his Davis Cup debut in February 2001 in a World Group first-round tie against Switzerland. He has gone on to compile a staggering 33-11 win-loss record, most recently helping his team to a 4-1 victory over Chile in the first round in March.

At a time when more and more of the top players are sacrificing Davis Cup to focus on their individual success, Roddick’s commitment to his country and his teammates has not gone unnoticed. AndyRoddick.com caught up with some of the people who know the American best to discuss his Davis Cup legacy.

James Blake – a member of the winning United States team in 2007

“He’s been huge [for American tennis]. He leads by example, but he also will get in there and be hands on. He’s taken tons of the guys, such as Sam Querrey, to his house to practise. He’s practiced with Mardy [Fish] there; he’s practiced with Donald Young there. He really puts in the work with the guys to get them better. Ryan Harrison now, he’s played doubles with him, worked out with him a bunch. He wants American tennis to get better; he shows that in Davis Cup with as much heart as he puts in there and then he shows it off the court by giving his expertise to those guys.

“He’s been our anchorman. Every time I was on the Davis Cup team, you’ve got a guy that closes it out, never loses that fourth match. It’s just such a good feeling. I was prepared and ready for every one of those fifth matches and they never needed me. I hope I helped him a little bit in being prepared for that, but he was just an absolute anchor, he really carried us.”

Bob and Mike Bryan – members of the winning United States team in 2007

“The guy’s been the rock star of this generation. He took the torch from Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi and has inspired thousands and thousands of kids. He just has a lot of fun out on the court. People like to watch him play because he’s such a great competitor. He’s maybe the best competitor the U.S. has ever had. That’s probably why he’s so well liked.

“He’s got an amazing Davis Cup record. When we’re up 2-1, we call him ‘The Closer’. It’s been fun to have him on our team and he’s back, so we’re excited about that. He’s clutch. He loves playing for his country and his teammates. He spills his guts on the court and puts everything he has into his matches.”

Justin Gimelstob – former player and ATP Board Member

“Davis Cup will be a huge legacy of his; his commitment to it, his consistency, and the amount he’s played. He has got some staggering statistics of closing out matches and his commitment winning it once and they’re in contention again this year. His Davis Cup legacy, the team competition, the leadership, the responsibility of being the main guy in American tennis for so long for a decade, I mean that’s a huge, huge part of his legacy.”

http://www.andyroddick.com/2011/07/06/a … up-legacy/

#580 07-07-2011 12:19:40

Raddcik

Come on Andy !

Stopka forum

RSS