User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Rafael Nadal

Re: Podsumowanie roku 2010

Chyba jednak nowa dekada zacznie się za kilkanaście dni

#22 14-12-2010 21:47:29

Serenity

User

Załóżmy że jest rok zerowy n.e. więc licząc ten rok to dekada trwa do końca roku 9,więc 1 stycznia 2010 rozpoczęła się nowa dekada

#23 14-12-2010 21:52:46

jaccol55

Administrator

Nie bardzo. Tak samo jak nowy wiek zaczął się w 2001r., a nie w 2000. To samo z tysiącleciem - zaczęło się w 2001r.

Nadal i Wozniacki mistrzami świata ITF za rok 2010

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/photos/4d0358d837eec687549204.gif http://www.sportowefakty.pl/photos/4bf276bebe062289933769.gif

Międzynarodowa Federacja Tenisowa (ITF) ogłosiła we wtorek, że Hiszpan Rafael Nadal i Dunka Caroline Wozniacki otrzymują tytuły mistrzów świata za rok 2010.

Nadal został uhonorowany w ten sposób już po raz drugi, a Wozniacki jest pierwszą Dunką, która zdobyła ten tytuł. Oboje są liderami rankingów.

Duńska tenisistka polskiego pochodzenia została mistrzynią świata, mimo że nigdy nie wygrała turnieju wielkoszlemowego. Hiszpan triumfował w tym roku w trzech (z czterech).

- Być umieszczonym na liście mistrzów świata ITF to coś, z czego jestem bardzo dumna. Mam za sobą wspaniały rok i trenuję nadal bardzo intensywnie, by być lepszą tenisistką w 2011 roku - powiedziała Wozniacki.

24-letni Nadal miał niezwykle udany sezon. Wygrał turniej Roland Garros po raz piąty w karierze, Wimbledon po raz drugi i gdy we wrześniu zwyciężył w US Open, został najmłodszym tenisistą w historii, który sięgnął po wszystkie tytuły wielkoszlemowe. Po tym sukcesie awansował na pierwsze miejsce w rankingu ATP, detronizując dotychczasowego lidera listy, Szwajcara Rogera Federera.

Bracia Bob i Mike Bryanowie (USA) zostali ogłoszeni przez ITF mistrzami świata w grze podwójnej po raz siódmy, co jest swego rodzaju rekordem. Gisela Dulko (Argentyna) i Flavia Pennetta (Włochy) zostały uznane, po raz pierwszy, za mistrzynie świata w deblu kobiet.

Mistrzowie Letnich Igrzysk Olimpijskich Młodzieży, Juan Sebastian Gomez (Kolumbia) i Daria Gawriłowa (Rosja) zostali mistrzami świata ITF juniorów za rok 2010.

Esther Vergeer (Holandia) i Shingo Kunieda (Japonia) zostali ogłoszeni przez ITF mistrzami świata w tenisie na wózkach. Vergeer została mistrzynią ITF po raz jedenasty z rzędu, a Japończyk czwarty raz z kolei.

Mistrzowie świata ITF otrzymają oficjalnie swe dyplomy na dorocznym Obiedzie Mistrzów, 31 maja 2011 r. w Paryżu podczas turnieju Rolanda Garrosa.

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/tenis/2010/ … -rok-2010/

#24 15-12-2010 00:36:47

arti

User

Jacuszyn z całym szacunkiem ale nie ma czegoś takiego jak rok zerowy:)

#25 15-12-2010 07:30:16

metjuAR

User

Ulubiony zawodnik: Rod

Jacuszyn napisał:

Załóżmy że jest rok zerowy n.e.

założenie błędne Jacuszyn.

249,5 km/h
30 singles titles
2007 Davis Cup

#26 15-12-2010 10:29:42

DUN I LOVE

Ojciec Chrzestny

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer

Czyli ATP się myli? Przecież były podsumowania dekady przed startem tego sezonu i to nie tylko tam, ale na wszelkiej maści innych stronach tenisowych. Nie jestem pewny, ale chyba to się pokrywa z 3 cyferką "roków", przykładowo lata 30 XX wieku to 1930-1939, a nie 1931-1940

MTT - tytuły (9)
2011: Belgrad, TMS Miami, San Jose; 2010: Wiedeń, Rotterdam; 2009: TMS Szanghaj, Eastbourne; 2008: US OPEN, Estoril.
MTT - finały (8)
2011: TMS Rzym; 2010: Basel, Marsylia; 2009: WTF, Stuttgart, Wimbledon, TMS Madryt; 2008: WTF

#27 15-12-2010 11:06:56

arti

User

Dun nie tylko ATP. Rok temu było sporo takich podsumowań i rankingów. Mimo że było dementowane, iż jest to koniec dekady to takiej lawiny nic nie było w stanie powstrzymać. Żyjemy po prostu w czasach ciągłych rankingów i plebiscytów. Najlepiej to widać w muzyce. Co tydzień pojawiają się nowe wybory zespołów, utworów czy albumów wszechczasów, dekady czy stulecia. Co nie zmienia faktu że jeżeli za dekadę przyjmujemy 10 lat to dekada kończy się z końcem 2010 roku. Kalendarza oszukać się nie da:). A co do tych lat to się zgadzam tylko że określenie lata 30 nie jest synonimem dekady.

#28 16-12-2010 14:30:52

jaccol55

Administrator

The strangest tennis moments of 2010 - part 1

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/1510.jpg

Tennistalk is counting down the best and worst of 2010. In this edition we recall the strangest moments of the year, starting with Nos. 10-7.

10. The Djokovics climb out on a fashion limb

The Serb Family Djokovic has never been one to be shy in support of son and brother Novak. On one memorable occasion, each family member (Mom, Dad and brothers) donned a white T-shirt with a different letter to spell out N-O-L-E. Considering the logistical issues that could have arisen had one or more Djokovic been out of position (LONE, ONE L, LEON), this was a fairly brave undertaking.

Srdjan Djokovic, proud papa to the world No. 3 went one better at the US Open. He had a custom t-shirt made up with a giant photo of Nole’s head on the front. Better, the cameraman providing the live feed on Arthur Ashe stadium clearly had a fascination with The Shirt, which he showed on at least a half dozen occasions. Full credit to Nole for taking the not-so-gentle teasing with aplomb. “He’s a proud father. What can I say?” the Serb said when asked (repeatedly) about it.

9. Lleyton Hewitt beats The Federer. On GRASS.

Nothing against Lleyton Hewitt, but this was just bizarre. Roger Federer had won their last 15 encounters. FIFTEEN. Hewitt had not beaten Federer since 2003, which means that for 7 years, the Aussie went without a win against Fed. And out of nowhere, Hewitt who was a tad beaten up and surely not at his best level gets a win over Roger Federer on grass.

8. Grigor Dimitrov beats...a chair umpire?

Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov might have a little bit of a problem with his temper. Just a couple of weeks ago, world no. 106 Dimitrov lost in the semifinals of a Challenger tournament in Helsinki, Finland (to Richard Berankis). And in protest of losing the match, Dimitrov tracked down chair umpire Daniel Infanger to...er....voice his displeasure in the way that the match was officiated. Loudly. And with some shoving for emphasis. So far, Mr. Dimitrov has received a 2000 Euro fine for his lapse in judgment.

7. Bernard Tomic stays out past his bedtime

Australia’s Bernard Tomic, ranked just inside the top 300 when he played this year’s Australian Open. Tomic got through his first match against France’s Guillaume Rufin, but he ran into world No. 14 Marin Cilic in the second round. In a show of faith, Australian Open organizers gave Tomic the primetime evening spot. After losing the 5-set heartbreaker, Tomic did what any 17 year old ranked 289 would do upon getting the chance to show his stuff on the main court of a major – he blamed officials for keeping him out past his bedtime. He’d SURELY have won that match if they’d only given him the day match like he requested. One wonders what gems Mr. Tomic will offer next year.......

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … 0_-_part_1

#29 16-12-2010 19:36:38

jaccol55

Administrator

Tennistalk's Matches of the Year: Part 1

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/679.jpg

The Tennistalk panel has spoken and it is time to reveal our Top 10 matches of the year, bit by bit. We open with a pair of Australian Open thrillers and a showdown between Rafael Nadal and Andy Roddick.

10. Mikhail Youzhny d. Richard Gasquet 6-7(9), 4-6, 7-6(2), 7-6(4), 6-4 - Australian Open first round

Talk about heartbreak for Gasquet. One year after losing a two-set lead to Fernando Gonzalez at the Australian Open, the Frenchman again suffered a brutal loss Down Under from two sets up. Both times Gasquet had little to do with his squandered advantage; his opponents simply produced remarkable tennis. This time it was Youzhny, who was a tiebreaker away from succumbing in straight sets and one point away (twice) from going down in four.

Instead, the Russian played a flawless tiebreaker in the third and saved two match points at 5-6 in the fourth, both with hard-to-believe, high-risk winners. Although the quality was not as high in the fifth, the drama reached its zenith. With both players cramping, Youzhny went up a break, went down a break, and then went back up a break (in the final game of the match) in a roller-coaster set. They played for four hours and 53 minutes and combined for 172 winners, 91 for Youzhny and 81 for Gasquet.

9. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga d. Nicolas Almagro 6-3, 6-4, 4-6, 6-7(6), 9-7 - Australian Open fourth round

While the 2010 Australian Open did not produce the previous year's Nadal-Verdasco/Nadal-Federer masterpieces, Tsonga and Almagro (somewhat unlikely candidates) played arguably the match of the tournament in a fourth-round thriller. Tsonga won the first two sets with overpowering tennis, but Almagro earned his first break of the afternoon at 5-4 in the third to extend the proceedings and he came through an electric fourth-set tiebreaker to force a fifth.

Even though the Spaniard played "just unbelievable" (according to his opponent), Tsonga had just enough to hold him off. Both players fought off break points in the final set with incredible shot-making and Almagro successfully served to stay in the match three times. At 8-7, however, Tsonga kept up the pressure and finished off his win in appropriate fashion with two straight scorching winners. The Frenchman went on to upset Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinals.

8. Andy Roddick d. Rafael Nadal 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 - Miami semifinals

Roddick's aggressive game disappeared for most of the season following this match, but it was on full display against Nadal in the semifinals of the Sony Ericsson Open. The American dropped the opening set by getting broken early in the match and he failed to break throughout his opponent's first eight service games.

But that's when Roddick realized he needed to go for broke, and it paid off with a break at 4-3 in the second. In the third, Roddick was in a zone that he had rarely reached since the mid-2000s. Nadal--until the final game of the match--played solid tennis in his own right, but he could not contend with the eventual champion's huge serves (15 aces) and surprisingly flat forehand groundstrokes. Roddick finished with 37 winners to Nadal's 25.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … %3A_Part_1

#30 17-12-2010 12:07:46

muto

User

Jacuszyn napisał:

Załóżmy że jest rok zerowy n.e.

Prowokujesz, jak rozumiem

#31 17-12-2010 19:30:10

jaccol55

Administrator

No i to samo co w przeszłości, tylko że po polsku.

Pięć najlepszych pojedynków AD 2010

http://i.eurosport.pl/2010/11/27/665077-8023044-317-238.jpg

Ostatni rok obfitował w wiele kapitalnych spotkań. Na oficjalnej stronie ATP przedstawiono ranking pięciu najlepszych pojedynków. Na pewno wszystkie z nich dobrze pamiętacie, ale nie zaszkodzi odświeżyć sobie wspomnienia. Zapraszamy!

1. Rafael Nadal - Andy Murray, 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-6(6), Barclays ATP World Tour Finals w Londynie - półfinał

- Dzisiaj zrozumiałem, dlaczego gram w tenisa - powiedział Murray o tym niewiarygodnym thrillerze.

Nadal walczył o wejście do finału i ukoronowanie wielkiego sezonu, a Murray chciał zrobić wszystko, aby udanie zakończyć niezbyt szczęśliwy rok. Po trzech godzinach i 11 minutach, przy 17,5 tysiącach fanów w hali O2, Hiszpan wygrał. Szkot był jednak bliski wygranej w tie-breaku trzeciej partii, gdy prowadził 4:1.

- To był fantastyczny mecz. Jestem szczęśliwy, ze pokonałem tak wielkiego mistrza jak Andy - mówił Rafa.

2. Novak Djoković - Roger Federer, 5-7, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, 7-5, US Open - półfinał

Djoković pozbawił tą wygraną siódmego finału z rzędu dla Szwajcara. Wcześniej Serb trzy razy z rzędu przegrywał z Rogerem na kortach Flushing Meadows. W 2007 roku uległ mu w finale.

- Wiedziałem, że muszę być opanowany i nie stracić koncentracji, ponieważ to właśnie przez to przegrywałem w poprzednich sezonach. On wtedy wykorzystywał moją nerwowość - tłumaczył Djoko.

Serb w decydującym secie pokazał, że ma nerwy ze stali. Przegrywał 4:5 i 15:40. Obronił dwie piłii meczowe! Później wygrał m.in. wymianę po 22 uderzeniach. Pojedynek zakończył się po trzech godzinach i 44 minutach.

3. John Isner - Nicolas Mahut, 6-4, 3-6, 6-7(7), 7-6(3), 70-68, Wimbledon, 1. runda

To było spotkanie, które pokazało jak długo można wytrzymać na korcie. Isner i Mahut grali łącznie przez 11 godzin i pięć minut. Mecz toczył się przez trzy dni. Ostatecznie Isner wygrał pojedynek po zagraniu backhandem. To było jego 246. wygrywające uderzenie w tym meczu.

Piąty set trwał osiem godzin i 11 minut. To było o 98 minut dłużej niż cały poprzedni najdłuższy spektakl tenisowy. Po zakończeniu walki obaj zawodnicy słaniali się na nogach, a z ich rąk leciała krew.

- Ten koleś to absolutny wojownik - powiedział Isner. - Nie chciał przegrać.

Łącznie obaj gracze wywalczyli 980 punktów. Obaj pobili także rekordy asów serwisowych. Pierwszy miał 113, a Mahut 103. W nagrodę obaj spotkali się z brytyjską królową Elżbietą 2.

4. Robin Soderling - Michael Llodra, 6-7(0), 7-5, 7-6(6), BNP Paribas Masters - półfinał

Llodra miał kapitalny weekend w hali Bercy. Wcześniej pokonał Djokovicia i Nikolaja Dawidienkę. Francuz zatrzymał się jednak na półfinale.

Było to spotkanie zawodników prezentujących dość archaiczny styl gry. W trzeciej partii Llodra odrobił starty od stanu 1:4. 30-letni francuski tenisista wybronił trzy piłki meczowe. Ostatecznie jednak przegrał po dwóch godzinach i 49 minutach.

- To był wielki mecz. Może nie specjalnie ładny, ale ja jestem zwycięzcą - powiedział Soderling, który później pokonał w finale Gaela Monfilsa.

5. Gael Monfils - Roger Federer, 7-6(7), 6-7(1), 7-6(4), BNP Paribas Masters - półfinał

Ten sam turniej, co w przypadku numeru „4”. Fani w Paryżu zobaczyli jeszcze jeden kapitalny mecz. Po tym jak rozczarowali się przegraną Llodry, mogli świętować sukces rodaka Monfilsa. Gael awansował do finału drugi rok z rzędu.

Monfils obronił pięć piłek meczowych w 12. gemie trzeciego seta. Wcześniej przegrywał już 1:4. Francuz pokonał Szwajcara po raz pierwszy w karierze po pięciu porażkach.

- Jestem szczęśliwy, że go pokonałem. On jest kimś, kogo bardzo szanuję. Będę to pamiętał na całe moje życie.

Federer natomiast przegrał wtedy po raz czwarty w 2010 roku, gdy miał piłki meczowe. Wcześniej tak stało się w spotkaniach: z Djoko na US Open, z Marcosem Baghdatisem w Indian Wells i z Tomasem Berdychem w Miami.

http://www.eurosport.pl/tenis/5-najleps … tory.shtml

#32 17-12-2010 23:20:21

jaccol55

Administrator

Best of 2010: Spoiling for a Fight

Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer played each other five times over the course of the last four months of the season. Federer won four of those matches; Djokovic won this one, the one we’ll remember. It spoiled a potential Federer-Rafael Nadal final, but it was a classic of its own—No. 6 on my list for 2010. The match was exceptionally up and down through the first four sets, or at least exceptionally up and down from Federer’s point of view. His serve was on track only sporadically, and he lost two sets badly but still kept himself alive for the fifth. That’s when things got good, as the highlight clip above attests.

What station is this, or what country? Somewhere excitable, it seems. Whatever you think of the announcer—and he would wear on me after a while—he does bring a soccer-like energy to a tennis match. And his cry of “Djooookoooovic!!!” at the end is perfect.

These two played in Toronto the previous month and Djokovic was visibly gassed by the end. Federer even mentioned it in his on-court remarks afterward. And there are times in this set when Djokovic looks weary, but it never quite affects him. By the end, he’s running on adrenalin, swinging for the fences, in some kind of competitive ether beyond tiredness. He stays in that zone even after the match is over. You can see it on his face as he approaches the net for the handshake. Djokovic's eyes are still wide, and a little shellshocked.

There’s a reason that Federer is 12-6 against Djokovic. Even in this match, he has the natural upper hand in rallies. It’s Djokovic who plays farther back, and who has to hit bigger than normal to stay on even terms. This time he does it. Even the two match points he saves are with extremely risky shots that he wouldn’t go for at 2-2 in the first set of the second round of Basel. Djokovic has to absorb Federer’s early punch and recalibrate his own game. That’s what happened when they played at the World Tour Finals, where Djokovic was run off the court in the first set before making a match of it, with great effort, in the second.

Still, his shots on these match points here weren’t flukes. I thought he had been the better player for most of the match, and that had started all the way back in the first set, even though he lost it. You can see in these highlights that Federer can’t leave a ball hanging; Djokovic is going to be on it. The Serb won two easy sets, but as with Berdych and Monfils this year, he couldn’t kill the king until he’d gotten down match point and found himself with nothing to lose first. Psychologically, it seems to be easier the second time around.

Federer was snakebit in this set; he couldn’t finish a couple points where he had Djokovic dead to rights. At 4-3, 15-30, Federer missed a running backhand pass into the net. On a crucial point later, he hit a running forehand pass crosscourt, right to Djokovic’s racquet. Did he do anything wrong on the match points? He’s out of the first one pretty quickly, even though he still makes Djokovic finish it with an insane inside-out crosscourt swing volley. On the second, Federer does leave his backhand just a little shorter than he wanted, but you can’t blame him for that. Djokovic took a neutral rally ball and hit it on the line. You can only tip your hat there.

Reason to love Novak Djokovic: He’s facing match points and looking close to beat. He hauls off and wins those two points, and then wins the next point with another winner. Suddenly he’s beating his chest with his racquet, as if he’s been the man all along.

He was the man in the end. You know you’re feeling it when you can thread a forehand pass up the line and past Federer at 5-5 and deuce in the fifth set of the semifinals of the U.S. Open. In London, the Tennis Channel’s Jimmy Arias mentioned that Federer often hits his forehand a little early when he’s tight. That’s what happens here at break point at 5-5. He pulls his forehand into the alley.

Then we have the Djokovic's celebration, one of the year’s best. It succeeded in being both genuine (“What just happened? I just beat Roger Federer; I’m in a Slam final again?”) and a little hammy (“I’m going to stand here and soak this in for just a little longer than is absolutely necessary”). Novak: genuinely hammy; hammily genuine. He started this tournament in a mediocre place. He ended it on the rise again. It was a trajectory that took him to two convincing wins in the Davis Cup final. We’ll see if it takes him even higher in 2011.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/ … fight.html

#33 20-12-2010 17:54:14

jaccol55

Administrator

Best of 2010: Stormy Monday

Maybe you had to be there. When I talked to people later who had watched the U.S. Open men's final on TV, they sounded disappointed. “It was never in doubt”; “Djokovic never had a chance”; “The rain ruined it”: ‘I couldn’t find it on any channel.”

It didn’t feel any of those ways inside Arthur Ashe Stadium. Novak Djokovic was indeed fighting an uphill battle all the way, but that only made him very loose, and made his opponent, Rafael Nadal, who was facing what would almost certainly be the best chance he would ever have to complete a career Grand Slam, very tight. Tennis players talk about being lonely in front of all those people, but it can’t get any lonelier than trying to finish a match you simply have to win in front of thousands of people who will be stunned if you don't. Nadal was on my side of the court when he got to 5-1. You could see change in him that game; he became visibly nervous, and stayed that way until it was over.

But what made this a memorable match for me—No. 4 for the year—was the shot-making exhibition these two put on. With the various rain delays, as well as the Monday start, the tension that usually accompanies a U.S. Open had dissipated by the third set. There was a sort of wild and stormy feel inside the stadium as these guys threw haymakers back and forth at each other.

Above are one person’s selection of the 12 best points—how closely do you have to watch a match to put something like that together? Seeing them again makes me think you didn’t really have to be there at all. They're just as good on TV.

The first point ends with a nice Djokovic drop shot. You know it’s especially nice, since even Nadal can’t get close to it. Djokovic has a very good backhand drop, but he uses it as a bail-out shot too often, from too far back in the court. Here he gets the shot selection right, hitting it from inside the baseline when he already has the advantage in the point.

I know these are highlights, but did Djokovic play better in this match than he did against Federer? You can see he’s tired, but that also frees him to go for shots he normally wouldn’t attempt. He makes a lot of them. Deep down, though, he doesn't believe it's going to work out in the end, and that's what dooms him.

In his matches with Nadal, Djokovic has the opposite problem that he does when he plays Federer. Where he has to fight off the early Federer attack, Djokovic typically starts strong against Nadal. He has a chance to control points and hit his shots, and his down the line backhand is a real weapon when Nadal’s crosscourt forehands land short. The catch: He has to keep hitting that down the line backhand, along with everything else, perfectly, game after game, set after set. On most occasions, he can’t.

Nadal is gaining on Bjorn Borg as the greatest clay-courter ever, but he may already be ahead of him in the passing shot department. What Nadal does like no one else is shorten his backswing so that he does little more than snap through the shot. He can still get pace doing this, but his specialities are accuracy and redirecting the ball with almost no preparation. He takes one Djokovic volley and snaps it down the line with a forehand; he takes another and blocks it crosscourt at a sharp angle with his backhand. No one can match him as a passing-shot improviser.

Does the Sky Sports play-by-play guy seriously mean to say that he thinks that two of these points are the best ever played? I mean, they’re good, but . . .

Two of these 12 best points came in the final game, when, like I said, Nadal was more visibly nervous than he had been all day. Nevertheless, he wins them. I’ve noted before that Federer is a master at showing nerves for a second and then playing through them. Nadal, who rarely blows a big match, does it too. Grace under pressure, the one true mark of a champion.

Djokovic is caught smiling after a few of these points, even when he’s lost them. On one other, he uses his racquet to clap for his opponent. The previous year, he had a similar attitude in his semifinal with Federer. This is obviously not ideal from a competitive standpoint—notice that he didn’t do any of that stuff in the Davis Cup final. But maybe Djokovic is just being realistic when he plays Nadal and Federer. Maybe we can forgive him for doing what we do when we watch them play, for being one more fan.

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/ … onday.html

#34 21-12-2010 20:32:33

jaccol55

Administrator

Tennistalk's Matches of the Year: Part 2

Tennistalk's Top 10 matches of 2010 are underway and we continue with Nos. 5-7. A shocking French Open upset and two Masters Series thrillers are featured.

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/2149.jpg

7. Jurgen Melzer d. Novak Djokovic 3-6, 2-6, 6-2, 7-6(3), 6-4 - French Open quarterfinals

Even making it to the quarterfinals was improbable for Melzer, who had never previously been past the third round of any Grand Slam in his entire career. But what he did against Djokovic was far more shocking. Getting blown out after two sets (and early in the third when he trailed by two sets AND a break), the veteran Austrian started to play like he had nothing to lose and he turned the tide with a dominant third-set performance. That set the stage for a dramatic fourth that lasted a whopping one hour and 19 minutes. How did it go so long? In the eighth game serving at 3-4, Djokovic saved an amazing eight break points to stay on serve before eventually forcing a tiebreaker. Perhaps still feeling the effects of that game, a weary Serb fell behind 6-0 in the 'breaker. He battled back to 6-3 only to see Melzer capitalize on his fourth set point. Maintaining the momentum, Melzer converted his 24th break-point chance of the evening at 4-4 in the fifth for a decisive service break. The underdog showed signs of nerves while serving for it at 5-4, but he finished the job on his third match point and looked just as stunned as the Roland Garros crowd. Melzer called it "the most incredible moment of my career."

6. Rafael Nadal d. Ernests Gulbis 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 - Rome semifinals

Nobody beat Nadal in clay in 2010 and nobody even came close...except for Gulbis. Having knocked out Roger Federer in the second round, Gulbis stormed into the Rome semis with plenty of confidence, and when he is confident, he is one of the most dangerous players on tour. The Latvian looked nervous early and a quick break cost him the first set. In the second, however, Gulbis started swinging away and ran Nadal ragged even on a relatively slow clay surface. The underdog continued to throw everything he had at Nadal in the third, but the world No. 1 always had an answer--for almost every one of Gulbis' 50 winners. Nadal kept the pressure on by making few to zero unforced errors and Gulbis finally cracked while serving to stay in the match at 4-5. The Spaniard produced his best tennis when it mattered most and broke at love to reach the final before eventually winning another Masters title.

5. Robin Soderling d. Michael Llodra 6-7(0), 7-5, 7-6(6) - Paris semifinals

Soderling and Llodra capped off a one-for-the-ages semifinal day in Paris with an incredible match. A total of eight match points were saved by the two winners, Soderling and Gael Monfils. After Monfils thwarted five match points to stun Federer, an even more amazing match quality-wise saw Soderling fight off three match points to beat Llodra. From start to finish this was a near-flawless display of serving and aggressive tennis. No breaks took place until Soderling struck at 5-5 in the second set before serving it out to force a third. The Swede went up a break in the third and only gave it back when Llodra came up with a diving backhand volley. Soderling was one point from defeat on three occasions at 5-6; he survived two with great tennis and on the third Llodra excruciatingly missed an open forehand pass. To the chagrin of the French crowd, Soderling forced another 'breaker and eked it out eight points to six.

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … %3A_Part_2

#35 21-12-2010 22:58:12

jaccol55

Administrator

My ATP matches of the year

http://l.yimg.com/i/i/eu/sp/epta27.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/i/util/anysize/376,http%3A%2F%2Fa323.yahoofs.com%2Fymg%2Fsimon_reed__1%2Fsimon_reed-382563863-1292928958.jpg%3Fym.uhRED6lbeBeVL?v=2

1. Roger Federer v Novak Djokovic

5-7 6-1 5-7 6-2 7-5

US Open semi-final

To my mind Roger Federer has been involved in all the great matches of the last few years, and this, for me, is the pick of them.

This match is better even than the two Wimbledon finals that everyone talks about against Rafael Nadal - and the semi-final against Marat Safin at the Australian Open was great too.

This one was probably one of the top five matches I've seen in my life.

It had everything you could ask for: Djokovic suddenly emerging again as a great player after a period of really struggling.

Federer kept coming back at Djokovic and you kept thinking: "This has got to be it, Djokovic is going to fold." But he didn't. For Djokovic to be better on the day than Federer, who was playing very well, was outstanding.

These were two players who hadn't shown much up until that stage and it was comfortably my match of the year. In fact it was the best tennis I've seen in a long time.

2. Marin Cilic v Andy Roddick

7-6(4) 6-3 3-6 2-6 6-3

Australian Open quarter-final

I though Marin Cilic was the big story at the Australian Open.

Andy Murray was obviously one too, but Cilic had such a difficult path: firstly playing Juan Martin Del Potro for about four hours then having to face Andy Roddick.

He was two sets up against Roddick, but the American came back and all of a sudden it looked as if it had to be Roddick's match.

Cilic is still a little green and I thought he might get blown away in the fifth set the way the momentum had changed in Roddick's favour. But for Cilic to come back... I thought that was absolutely sensational.

And by the time he played Murray, to be honest he was pretty much spent. It was a good match and Murray played very well but Cilic was tired, no doubt about it.

I am very surprised he hasn't kicked on in the rest of the year as I thought he would. I saw him possibly top five and certainly top 10 by the end of the year, but that hasn't happened - and I don't really know why.

He was amazing in Melbourne; it was a classic situation of a boy becoming a man before our eyes.

It's amazing how often it happens in tennis that somebody is two sets down, comes back to two sets all and you think that's it, the momentum is so strongly in favour of the other guy - but it switches. He seemed to get a second wind, even though he was clearly tired after the Del Potro match. And Roddick was playing very well.

3. John Isner v Nicolas Mahut

6-4 3-6 6-7(7) 7-6(3) 70-68

Wimbledon first round

I was looking at this match the other day actually and some people have written some pretty nasty things about it.

For two of the three days that this match was going on I went down to the court myself and admittedly, while you did have a sense of history being made, for the tennis purist there was nothing much to get excited about.

The guys played tennis for over 11 hours and they didn't buckle. The world was watching by the time they came out. They gave what they could which they should be congratulated for. It's helped tennis get the coverage that it never really has before - and that's a fantastic achievement.

But, as a tennis match, it wasn't actually that great!

-Simon Reed

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/si … icle/5313/

#36 21-12-2010 23:05:11

Robertinho

Ulubiony zawodnik: Roger Federer forever

This one was probably one of the top five matches I've seen in my life.

Tak się kończy zbyt częste oglądanie Murray'a.

#37 27-12-2010 15:18:49

jaccol55

Administrator

Tennistalk's Matches of the Year: Part 3

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/2092.jpg

Tennistalk's Top 10 matches of 2010 continue with Nos. 5-7. A pair of U.S. Open five-setters involving four of the current Top 10 players in the world is featured.

4. Fernando Verdasco d. David Ferrer 5-7, 6-7(8), 6-3, 6-3, 7-6(4) - U.S. Open fourth round

In an otherwise relatively straightforward U.S. Open, two matches stood out. None was more wild than an all-Spanish fourth-round epic between Verdasco and Ferrer that featured incredible baseline battles, tantalizing momentum shifts, and a trio of Verdasco comebacks. Verdasco battled back from two sets down to force a fifth, recovered from 4-2 behind in the final set, and stormed past Ferrer from a 4-1 deficit in the decisive 'breaker.

As if the first four hours and 22 minutes of play were not good enough, the Louis Armstrong faithful will not soon forget match point. Ferrer had his opponent on the ropes throughout a grueling rally. Verdasco stayed alive with a forehand squash-shot to which Ferrer responded with a perfectly angled drop-volley. Verdasco not only tracked it down from all the way across the court, but he also flicked it up the line for a forehand winner, almost crashing into the umpire's chair before collapsing in triumph. In his on-court interview, Verdasco called it the greatest match of his life. Perhaps he momentarily forgot about his 2009 Australian Open semifinal against Rafael Nadal, but this very well could be No. 2.

3. Novak Djokovic d. Roger Federer 5-7, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2, 7-5 - U.S. Open semifinals

While the tennis had its ups and downs, this was every bit as good as anticipated, and then some. That a U.S. Open final showdown with world No. 1 Nadal was on the line made this one all the more amazing. Djokovic and Federer took turns seizing the momentum, with the second-ranked Swiss pulling out tight first and third sets while the third-ranked Serb dominated sets two and four. When Djokovic served out the fourth at 5-2, the stage was set for a dramatic fifth...one that lived up to expectations in every way except maybe not culminating in a tiebreaker.

Federer earned two match points with his opponent serving at 4-5, 15-40, and it was not his fault that he failed to convert. Djokovic saved both shockingly aggressive forehands and went on to hold for 5-5. From there the underdog was not to be denied, and he took the next two games--saving another break point at 6-5--to pull off the shocker. "It was just a big pleasure playing in this kind of match," Djokovic said afterward. "It's one of those matches you'll always remember in your career."

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … %3A_Part_3

#38 29-12-2010 20:37:34

jaccol55

Administrator

Tennistalk's Match of the Year: Isner vs. Mahut

http://www.tennistalk.com/images/article/2023.jpg

Tennistalk wraps up its Top 10 matches of 2010 with the final two. The never-ending Wimbledon epic delivered by John Isner and Nicolas Mahut beats out the rip-roaring World Tour Finals semi between Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray.

2. Rafael Nadal d. Andy Murray 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-6(6) - World Tour Finals semifinals

At the end of a hallmark year for Nadal and an up-and-down campaign for Murray, two of the Top 4 players in the world saved some of their best for last. This season's final tournament, the World Tour Finals in London, saw Nadal and Murray stage a semifinal showdown that will not soon be forgotten. They played for three hours and 12 minutes over just three sets--on pace for at least five hours and 20 minutes had this been a three-out-of-five-set match that went the distance. They combined for 85 winners (three more winners than errors), an especially impressive number given that Nadal and Murray are two of the best defenders in tennis, against whom outright winners are a rarity.

Just how close was it? Murray actually earned more service breaks (three to one) and more points (114 to 109), and still came out on the losing end. The Scot lost a tough first-set tiebreaker when Nadal came up with a pair of winners at 5-5 and 6-5. Despite the disappointment, Murray recovered to produce arguably his best tennis of the year in set two. He seized the first break of the match at 3-3 and struck again for 5-3 by pulverizing return after return. Both men delivered their best stuff with their backs against the wall in the third. Murray broke at 4-5 to stay in the match, then Nadal stormed back from a 4-1 deficit in the decisive 'breaker, three times being two points from defeat. In appropriate fashion, the top-ranked Spaniard put an exclamation point on the thriller with a crushing inside-out forehand on match point at 7-6. Nadal called it a "fantastic" match and an "amazing" victory. Murray, even in defeat, perhaps even took it one step further. Said Murray: "Today is the reason why I play tennis."

1. John Isner d. Nicolas Mahut 6-3, 4-6, 6-7(6), 7-6(3), 70-68 - Wimbledon first round

When asked how he would describe his legendary first-round Wimbledon encounter against Isner, Mahut quipped, "Do you have time?" Well, no, we don't. Nor do we have time (or enough space) to recap it. Everyone knows what happened, so let's just take a look back on some of the records and quotes from the 2010 Match of the Year and the longest--and definitely most shocking, improbable, and mind-bending--match in tennis history.

Isner and Mahut set records for the longest match (11 hours and five minutes), the longest set (eight hours and 11 minutes--longer than the previous longest match), most aces (216), most aces by one player (Isner: 113), and consecutive service games held (168), among many, many other feats that one can only assume are unbreakable.

Mahut won 24 more points than Isner (502 to 478). The Frenchman struck 244 winners and a mere 39 unforced errors while Isner fired 246 winners to just 52 errors. Mahut converted one break point at 0-40 for a 2-0 lead in the second set and did not have another chance until 15-40 and 30-40 at 50-50 in the fifth. Isner converted two of 14 break-point opportunities; first at 4-4, ad-out in the first set and again on the final point of the match; with a backhand pass at 68-69, 30-40. The match lasted three days and was suspended twice due to darkness, including at 59-59 in the fifth.

"Amazing match. Just congratulate both of players because they did something amazing. They make history." –- Rafael Nadal

"I love this. This is unheard of in our game. I have almost no words anymore. It was too much." -– Roger Federer

"We played the greatest match ever in the greatest place to play tennis." –- Nicolas Mahut

"Nothing like this will ever happen again. Ever." –- John Isner

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20101 … vs._Mahut_

#39 30-12-2010 15:09:20

jaccol55

Administrator

Nadal collects year-end awards, others lag behind

Rafael Nadal has swept a host of year-end awards for his dominating season but other players have fared poorly in annual accolades.

Nadal has been voted the Spanish athlete of the year in a poll by El Pais and the Spanish athlete of the decade by Marca. In addition to recognition from Spanish newspapers, Nadal was also named L'Equipe Champion of Champions in France and won the BBC Overseas Sports Personality of the Year in Britain. He was voted European Sportsman of the Year in a poll of 25 news agencies in Europe, beating out F1 champion Sebastian Vettel.

Roger Federer, meanwhile, came in third place for Swiss sportsman of the year, behind gold medal-winning ski jumper Simon Ammann and alpine wrestler Kilian Wenger. Federer was, however, voted the international athlete of the decade in Marca's poll.

Despite leading Serbia to Davis Cup victory, Novak Djokovic was not voted the Balkan athlete of the year, coming in behind Bulgarian wrestler Stanka Zlateva, who won gold in the world and European women's 72 kg championships.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/template … &zoneid=25

Stopka forum

RSS